Transitioning Thru Bangkok

Dustoff

~

I haven't been keeping track of the news about the new airport in BKK. Are all international and domestic flights now going in and out of there?

If so, does anyone have recommendations for an overnight hotel that is reasonable and not far from the new airport? We are leaving soon at just after 6am and returning near midnight so need a Bangkok hotel in both directions since we live in CM.

Thanks

~

I haven't been keeping track of the news about the new airport in BKK. Are all international and domestic flights now going in and out of there?

If so, does anyone have recommendations for an overnight hotel that is reasonable and not far from the new airport? We are leaving soon at just after 6am and returning near midnight so need a Bangkok hotel in both directions since we live in CM.

Thanks

I am just sitting at the Lounge in the new Bangkok airport.....

Came from CM yesterday by Air Asia.

Had a room at "Grand Bangkok Residence" just minutes from the Airport.

Have booked trough Travel Agency 1700 Baht per night incl. Breakfast.

Pickup complimentary, to Airport by Hotel Car 200 Baht.

New and clean place..... but nothing interesting around....

Tel. 66662 327 3876-7 [email protected]

~

Thanks

I am just sitting at the Lounge in the new Bangkok airport.....

Came from CM yesterday by Air Asia.

Had a room at "Grand Bangkok Residence" just minutes from the Airport.

Have booked trough Travel Agency 1700 Baht per night incl. Breakfast.

Pickup complimentary, to Airport by Hotel Car 200 Baht.

New and clean place..... but nothing interesting around....

Tel. 66662 327 3876-7 [email protected]

AaaHaaaaa : Confucius saa ... when trav er ring in to new Bangkok Airport..... Bling lound interlist wit u

.... no b ronrey

:o

Don't laff I used spell check

Use China Air from the USA. you can go direct to Chiangmai via Taiwan and bypass Bangkok altogether. I leave in 3 days....my 4th trip. Check luggage here in Florida and will not see it again until 'friendly' Chiangmai.

Happy journeys and chok dee

Ginny

Use China Air from the USA. you can go direct to Chiangmai via Taiwan and bypass Bangkok altogether. I leave in 3 days....my 4th trip. Check luggage here in Florida and will not see it again until 'friendly' Chiangmai.

Ginny

Believe me, I tried - with at least eight different travel agents including two here in CM and direct contact with China Air. Routing may have something to do with it but it is very confusing. We are flying from here to Honolulu, Denver and Boston and China Air flies to all three destinations but could not fly us out of CM. Same with my brother who I am flying out here from the midwest in Sep. None of the agents nor China Air could figure out how to get him in and out of CM.. Go figure.

Consequently we are flying United which is one of my least favorite airlines but their price and connections were by far the best.

StefanH - thanks for the recommendation. I was hoping for something a bit less expensive for what amounts to a short snooze but will use that if nobody else has any ideas.

Ginny

Ginny

Care to give a little more infor on your itinerary.... like times in transit and flight times.....

I am planning a trip to the US in a couple months and would be very interested in your answer and costs also...

Only if you are willing to discuss....

Gonzo

Love the skipping Bangkok part....

I am flying to the US next week for a month. As much as I would like to fly to BKK my wife is insisting that we take the VIP bus instead....we are visiting friends in BKK also both on the way out and on the way back. We are flying on NWA from BKK to Tokyo to Portland Oregon. 1125 USD each R/T. I figure the price isn't bad considering there aren't too many flights into Portland from here.

I am flying to the US next week for a month. As much as I would like to fly to BKK my wife is insisting that we take the VIP bus instead....we are visiting friends in BKK also both on the way out and on the way back. We are flying on NWA from BKK to Tokyo to Portland Oregon. 1125 USD each R/T. I figure the price isn't bad considering there aren't too many flights into Portland from here.

Given the cost of a VIP bus, flying seems a good option. We are also leaving in just over a week and Air Asia's 399 baht flight to BKK totals only 1062B. I don't mind paying the little extra price to avoid 8-10 hrs on a bus and we booked/paid right online...

Ginny

Ginny

Care to give a little more infor on your itinerary.... like times in transit and flight times.....

I am planning a trip to the US in a couple months and would be very interested in your answer and costs also...

Gonzo

No problem...here are more details for my China Air flight. It leaves from New York close to midnight (so gives a lot of time to transition from Florida). Goes directly to Taiwan..layover close to 4 hrs. and then goes on directly to Chiangmai. return trip however ends up in Los Angeles, but it flies directly out of Chiangmai to Taiwan. Cost was $1200...and I booked thru Nova Travel.

Hope this is of some help. PM me if any questions....and look forward to meeting up with some of your nice people in the future. PS do not plan to use my return flight (in July); have a retirement visa in hand. But the airline balks on issuing one-way tiks. :o

Ginny

Ginny

Gonzo

No problem...here are more details for my China Air flight. It leaves from New York close to midnight (so gives a lot of time to transition from Florida). Goes directly to Taiwan..layover close to 4 hrs. and then goes on directly to Chiangmai. return trip however ends up in Los Angeles, but it flies directly out of Chiangmai to Taiwan. Cost was $1200...and I booked thru Nova Travel.

Hope this is of some help. PM me if any questions....and look forward to meeting up with some of your nice people in the future. PS do not plan to use my return flight (in July); have a retirement visa in hand. But the airline balks on issuing one-way tiks. :o

Thanks for that info Ginny...... Do they not have a return flight that could get you much closer to Florids, then to return to LA?

Where in Fla ? Maybe we are neighbors ..

Gonzo

Given the cost of a VIP bus, flying seems a good option. We are also leaving in just over a week and Air Asia's 399 baht flight to BKK totals only 1062B. I don't mind paying the little extra price to avoid 8-10 hrs on a bus and we booked/paid right online...

Don't forget to add in excess baggage weight...last time I flew out of Chiang Mai to BKK on Air Asia I had to pay 771 baht for the exra weight of only one suitcase. you are only allowed either 13 or 15 kilo per bag.

Normally we do fly it, but since the wife does INSIST on the bus...It just gives me another good excuse for one more good massage in Bkk once we get there ! :o

Did anyone else notice, just how restricted, we now are, when trying to make an international-connection via BKK ?

I recently booked flights on TG via BKK (not DMK) to connect to Qatar Airways to Doha and on to LGW, and found out that there are now just 2 flights on TG in the morning, and 2 more in the evening, to Suvarnabhumi. This is fine is you're connecting to their lunchtime or evening 'waves' of long-haul flights out. But not so fine - if you have a mid-evening flight out with someone else. So I find myself with 9 hours to admire the new hub of Asia - and watch the repair-work.

Admittedly I could take a risk, and fly Air Asia, and pray they run on-time. Or go via DMK and carry 3-4 bags & 40 kgs of baggage on the connecting bus. To save a thousand baht or so. But I prefer an airline which will take responsibility, to get me on to my final-destination, should there be some problem from CNX to BKK.

But is this really the best service Thai Airways can offer Chiang Mai - the country's second biggest city ? I'm not impressed - and I doubt many foreign visitors will be, either.

Ginny

Ginny

Gonzo

How long is the JFK-TPE leg, 18 hrs? Don't worry about China Air letting you change your ticket, I fly them ALL the time and on average change flight times/days 4-5 times per leg (no charge), being so organized an individual.