Aussie Real Mcoy Steaks

soap

I buy them in Rimping supermarket.Any of the branches should have stock.They are not cheap and sometimes they have good Thai beef at more sensible price.

thanks boss hogg

they are for a friend of mine who wants the aussie steaks.

i am staying one night in chaingmai next week do you know the nearest rimping supermarket around trapae gate

thanks

nearest one would be on chiangmai-lamphun road.If you look on a map,it would roughly be straight down Loi Kroh road, straight through the night bazaar,over the iron bridge and Rimping is on the opposite side of the road about 100yds on the right.

I would be interested to hear if anyone can reccommend a good butcher in the area. A while ago someone told me of a guy from London who sold great steaks etc but i cant remember the name or location...must be the age , or the Singha

I would be interested to hear if anyone can reccommend a good butcher in the area. A while ago someone told me of a guy from London who sold great steaks etc but i cant remember the name or location...must be the age , or the Singha

On Thanon Haey Keow heading out towards CM Uni there is a butcher on the LHS. He has imported and domestic meat including some of the less common types such as turkey steaks. He supplies most of the restaurants in CM that advertise "NZ pork chops, Australain Beef etc"

He sells retail as well as wholesale - I don't buy from him because the wife likes to buy our pork/chicken from the local market. It comes with the complementary flies and cockroaches that add to the taste and texture that is Thai food. His meat is all packed and clean with seals off approval as hygenic and fresh.

:o

CB

On Thanon Haey Keow heading out towards CM Uni there is a butcher on the LHS. He has imported and domestic meat including some of the less common types such as turkey steaks. He supplies most of the restaurants in CM that advertise "NZ pork chops, Australain Beef etc"

He sells retail as well as wholesale - I don't buy from him because the wife likes to buy our pork/chicken from the local market. It comes with the complementary flies and cockroaches that add to the taste and texture that is Thai food. His meat is all packed and clean with seals off approval as hygenic and fresh.

CB

I think you are probably talking about Northern Farms. A good company, but it is sometimes difficult to get them to prepare meat the right way. We always used them for "normal" cuts and Rimping butchers for things I wanted done in a special way.

Yeah, Northern Farms. I think they used to, perhaps still do supply some restaurants here in town. They used to operate their own grilled meat place, right next to my apt that closed years ago. Aus and NZ beef, but of course all frozen.

I'd go with Rimping for the fresh stuff myself....

I think you are probably talking about Northern Farms. A good company, but it is sometimes difficult to get them to prepare meat the right way. We always used them for "normal" cuts and Rimping butchers for things I wanted done in a special way.

thanks - yes you are correct Northern Farms. Thanks, will Rimping butchers do things like a beef ring roast? I used to do that with the Webber Kettle BBQ back in the pre-Thailand days. Magnificent if you get it right and horrible if you don't.

CB

post-23786-1177511577.jpg

Close and looks great but not quite the same. I think you Americans may call them "Crown Roasts" The concept with lamb is to take a full loin and pull it into a circle, tie it with butchers string and then roast it. The ribs are all vertical and it sits on the split vertebrae. It should be brought to the table as is with roast potato, pumkin, peas, etc. The roast is served at the table by cutting between the ribs into individual loins - beautiful

The concept is the same with beef but much bigger (unless you use really small cattle) and is a fantastic way of cooking what is essentially a rib eye steak (plus the backing bone) for a large number of people. They stay moist on the inside and look really cool when served. Tastes heavenly over the charcoal but everyone must like theirs cooked the same way. There is now way to make someones rare and another one well done or as my ex wife (English) liked it - vulcanised or as I used to ask her "to what god are we offering this?"

I only made it the one time and it was a great success but it is expensive and fraught with culinary danger so make sure you have a stack of hamburger and sausages as back up just in case.

CB

The concept is the same with beef but much bigger (unless you use really small cattle) and is a fantastic way of cooking what is essentially a rib eye steak (plus the backing bone) for a large number of people. They stay moist on the inside and look really cool when served. Tastes heavenly over the charcoal but everyone must like theirs cooked the same way. There is now way to make someones rare and another one well done or as my ex wife (English) liked it - vulcanised or as I used to ask her "to what god are we offering this?"

My old butcher in London used to supply me with possibly the most beautiful rib-roasts anywhere. Purely organic Aberdeen Angus, they were reared on one farm and fattened on another. He used to know them from birth to oven.

Now this is one cut of meat my wife constantly complains we can not get in Thailand in anything near the same quality.

My old butcher in London used to supply me with possibly the most beautiful rib-roasts anywhere. Purely organic Aberdeen Angus, they were reared on one farm and fattened on another. He used to know them from birth to oven.

Now this is one cut of meat my wife constantly complains we can not get in Thailand in anything near the same quality.

Understand - Aberdeen Angus are a great beef cattle breed but like soft grass and lots of water. In Australia they used to cross breed and became known as the Murray Grey - because of the colour and location. Was discovered to be a good breed, much more hardy, and without the black coat able to handle the heat. They also had a big mouth (I just know I am going to regret this) making them much more efficient on poor pasture.

There is a dwarf aberdeen Angus breed - not really dwarf but more likely the same size of the original from Scotland which is about half to two thirds the size of a standard steer. They are very popular on mixed grazing farms and "hobby farms" because they require much less management and room. The meat is said to be excellent and fits the trend of smaller cuts which is popular in Australia.

Sadly I don't think they would ever make it here in Thailand.

Do you have a way of preparing/cooking the rib roast p1p?

btw - I tried your pasta sauce last night (finally) - EXCELLENT Hmmm - need to catch up with you to buy some resupply.

CB

I caught a guy buying a bottle of p1p's pasta sauce at the health food store and telling the clerk how great it is.

I asked if he heard about it on TV and he admitted that he had.

He didn't really want to tell me what his nick was "because there are some real ***holes on there", but I told him mine and he opened up and shared his also. I am not going to repeat it, but he has posted some great things about p1p's sauce in the past and he seemed a very nice person. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I grew up with "real Aussie steaks", they were usually as tough as leather and cooked to the same color. I live in cattle country near Chiang Rai, my Mrs knows when they are going to kill a beast and she goes into the market and gets the fillets or sirloins. They come home still quivering and I chill them for a day then slice; fry or grill a piece rare and sample. If it's tough it goes into freezer bags marked "stew" and if it's tender it's marked "steak". My special code. Lets face it, unless it drinks beer every day and gets a Japanese massage a cow's a cow isn't it?

I grew up with "real Aussie steaks", they were usually as tough as leather and cooked to the same color.

Jing Jing. You could even taste the rankness of the beef in a Mcdonalds burger, which usually has absolutely nothing to distinguish it. To be fair, I haven't been to Australia in 10 years so maybe the quality has improved. I know the US is going the opposite direction and one now needs to buy USDA "Prime" to get a decent piece of beef.

I grew up with "real Aussie steaks", they were usually as tough as leather and cooked to the same color.

Jing Jing. You could even taste the rankness of the beef in a Mcdonalds burger, which usually has absolutely nothing to distinguish it.

McDonald's is smart enough to cover the lousy beef with "secret sauce" which makes the whole thing taste pretty good. McDonald's is about cheap food that tastes good, not gourmet "prime" beef! :D

Jing Jing. You could even taste the rankness of the beef in a Mcdonalds burger, which usually has absolutely nothing to distinguish it.

McDonald's is smart enough to cover the lousy beef with "secret sauce" which makes the whole thing taste pretty good. McDonald's is about cheap food that tastes good, not gourmet "prime" beef! :D

I know it's crap, but McDonalds has one redeeming characteristic. That is, you can walk into any McDonalds, anywhere in the world and it will taste just as you expect. Now, that's not fine dining, but when you arrive someplace new and don't know a good place to eat, well it fills the void. In Australia it was even worse than normal is my point.

I grew up with "real Aussie steaks", they were usually as tough as leather and cooked to the same color. I live in cattle country near Chiang Rai, my Mrs knows when they are going to kill a beast and she goes into the market and gets the fillets or sirloins. They come home still quivering and I chill them for a day then slice; fry or grill a piece rare and sample. If it's tough it goes into freezer bags marked "stew" and if it's tender it's marked "steak".

Try putting the steaks in a plastic bag.Suck the air out of the bag and seal.Leave in the fridge for at least a week.(I leave them for at least two, normally three) You will find that even the Thai steak can become quite tender.

Never had a good steak that wasn't aged and that doesn't matter where it comes from.

post-23786-1177511577.jpg

This photo was just a "troll" for p1p and Crow Boy, and they rose most admireably to the bait!

It is a photo of....American Buffalo roast :D

What Crow Boy refers to, we term in America a "standing rib roast" Also if it is made with USDA Prime (or Choice) grade beef,

in a slightly different cut, we term it "Prime Rib".

I eat very little red meat; I really quite like fish, chicken, pork, fried grasshoppers, whatever.....but this BEEF talk is making me VERY hungry. Perhaps a little au jus, some fresh grated horseradish sauce, and a decent Cabernet, to accompany this (imaginary) repast? :D

I caught a guy buying a bottle of p1p's pasta sauce at the health food store and telling the clerk how great it is.

He didn't really want to tell me what his nick was "because there are some real ***holes on there", but I told him mine and he opened up and shared his also. I am not going to repeat it, but he has posted some great things about p1p's sauce in the past and he seemed a very nice person. :o

Hmmm but I didn't buy mine at the Health Food Store

:D

CB

He didn't really want to tell me what his nick was "because there are some real ***holes on there", but I told him mine and he opened up and shared his also. I am not going to repeat it, but he has posted some great things about p1p's sauce in the past and he seemed a very nice person. :D

I m sure I know who you are talking about. Very nice guy, friend of mine, extremely intelligent.

Except for the fact that the b......rd has bought up just about every bottle of p1p's sauce in town, and is hoarding it (probably for resale in Japan), I almost still kind of like him.... :o

I grew up with "real Aussie steaks", they were usually as tough as leather and cooked to the same color. I live in cattle country near Chiang Rai, my Mrs knows when they are going to kill a beast and she goes into the market and gets the fillets or sirloins. They come home still quivering and I chill them for a day then slice; fry or grill a piece rare and sample. If it's tough it goes into freezer bags marked "stew" and if it's tender it's marked "steak".

Try putting the steaks in a plastic bag.Suck the air out of the bag and seal.Leave in the fridge for at least a week.(I leave them for at least two, normally three) You will find that even the Thai steak can become quite tender.

Never had a good steak that wasn't aged and that doesn't matter where it comes from.

Thanks Chuchok, it's probably good advice but I've got this old fashioned reluctance to eat anything that's been laying around unfrozen for that long. Something I have been meaning to try is putting it in bag with some sliced green papaya for a few hours but then I like a good stew anyway.

Edited by sceadugenga

Haven't eaten a fast food burger for years, when I do get dragged into Maccas, and I have a few mates that can't walk past one, I generally have the fried chicken which I consider superior to KFC.