The Old Guard: Netflix viewers brand Charlize Theron film's use of music 'cringeworthy'

snoop1130

The Old Guard: Netflix viewers brand Charlize Theron film's use of music 'cringeworthy'

By Jacob Stolworthy

tog_04083_2019-06-06_as_r2a-h_2020.jpg

Image: Google

Charlize Theron‘s new Netflix action film is being praised by users save for one aspect – its soundtrack.

The Old Guard follows Theron’s immortal warrior who, along with three other mercenaries, has spent centuries protecting her freedom.

It’s directed by Gina Pryce-Bythewood, and while the film’s performances and fight scenes have received acclaim, many viewers are not convinced by the music cues.

Whenever a fight scene begins in the film, Volker Bertelmann and Dustin O’Hallorana’s score is sidelined in favour of a “cheesy” pop song.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-old-guard-netflix-charlize-theron-film-stream-soundtrack-a9615411.html

25 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I enjoyed it, but found it amusing to see they managed to get nearly all the diversity groups in, with all the baddies being white of course.

I don't see that as a  problem and of course the baddies where being white. Have you ever seen a rich black pharmaceutical guy ? Plus the black CIA guy was not good at the beginning. So why the moan. I actually like that movies are a bit diverse. 

I can imagine its also more fun for others to watch. When i watch all asian movies its harder to enjoy them. So im sure the same goes for other races too.

• Haha 1

Loved it. Great concept and actioner. Could some of the characters, like the new member, be more fleshed out (figuratively)? Sure. 8/10. 

Seems like a sequel was set up, like "Extraction"?

Have seen other criticisms on the soundtrack, but honestly didn't register negatively on me.

Edited by mtls2005

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't see that as a  problem and of course the baddies where being white. Have you ever seen a rich black pharmaceutical guy ? Plus the black CIA guy was not good at the beginning. So why the moan. I actually like that movies are a bit diverse. 

I can imagine its also more fun for others to watch. When i watch all asian movies its harder to enjoy them. So im sure the same goes for other races too.

Nah. Give me the stereotypes please. It keeps me in my comfort zone.

John Wayne rocks!

The Old Guard follows Theron’s immortal warrior who, along with three other mercenaries, has spent centuries protecting her freedom.

Charlize Theron in an action film? As an immortal warrior?

Hahahahahahahahaha

Has spent centuries protecting her freedom. 

Okay then.

Seriously. Who watches this nonsense?

As light entertainment, I enjoyed it. Never noticed the musical score.

As for the diversity issue, yes, so obvious as in all Netflix movies now. It has become the central message, more obvious than the film's plot.

I cringe each time the guys in these movies have a gratuitous snog. But have to admit that I was looking forward to Charlize's character getting it on with the pretty black chick, which seemed imminent in several scenes! Most probably saving her for the Asian lass in the next episode.

Thank you so much for this extra firm indication that this is one to give a miss.

"Andromache ("Andy") of Scythia, Booker, Joe, and Nicky are centuries old warriors with regenerative healing abilities... Former CIA operative Copley hires them ostensibly to rescue a group of kidnapped children in South Sudan. During the mission, however, they are ambushed by a squad of soldiers. After healing their wounds and killing their attackers, they find recording equipment and realize that Copley set them up to expose their apparent immortality.

Meanwhile, in Afghanistan, U.S. Marine Nile Freeman has her throat slit while taking down a military target, only to recover without a scratch. Soon after, she shares a disturbing dream with the other immortals, who are then alerted to her existence."

Dear oh Dear.

Errol Flynn, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford, and Samuel L Jackson are laughing at all of you.

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

Charlize Theron in an action film? As an immortal warrior?

Hahahahahahahahaha

Has spent centuries protecting her freedom. 

Okay then.

Seriously. Who watches this nonsense?

You should watch the movie 'Atomic Blonde', an excellent action film starring Theron. Good storyline, editing, humor in places, and she gets her ass kicked, but is relentless. 

P.S. I'm not an action film junkie.

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Charlize Theron‘s new Netflix action film is being praised by users save for one aspect – its soundtrack.

Thought the movie was unbearable poop ..... didn't even notice a soundtrack.

Aeon Flux was better, she played the part of an immortal warrior in that movie (and was a lot younger and more attractive).

She's 44 now, well past her 'best by' date.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1