ED Visa university

Im a sudanese student in one of the universities here in Bangkok , i arrived to bkk mid 2019 , my ED visa expired during the visa amnesty period ,  i got accepted into a new program in the same university , now my country's borders are closed , neighboring countries borders are closed , so getting out of the country to get a new ED visa is out of the question , (besides there is no thai embassy to in my country to apply to) , i want to know is it possible to extend my expired visa locally at immigration without leaving the country, or atleast can go to one of the neighboring countries thai consulates and get the visa from there , some said since you are not a European or an American is not possible , the only country i can get to without a visa is Malaysia , i contacted the thai embassy there and they told me i have to be a resident of Malaysia in order to apply for an ED visa to thailand.

(i asked a similar question like this before but the discussion drifted to thai language school which is different than my situation)

If you will attending the same university you you be able to apply for a new extension at immigration. Ask the university to check with immigration about it.

Sudan is on the list of countries whose citizens can only apply for a visa in their home country. In your case you have to apply at the designated embassy that is responsible for Sudan.

The embassy  in Kuala Lumpur might accept your application for a non-ed visa but you would have to wait 4 weeks for the application to be approved. See the note at the bottom the page here.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/listed country 2018_2.pdf

But Malaysia is closed for all entries until August 31st.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you will attending the same university you you be able to apply for a new extension at immigration. Ask the university to check with immigration about it.

Sudan is on the list of countries whose citizens can only apply for a visa in their home country. In your case you have to apply at the designated embassy that is responsible for Sudan.

The embassy  in Kuala Lumpur might accept your application for a non-ed visa but you would have to wait 4 weeks for the application to be approved. See the note at the bottom the page here.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/listed country 2018_2.pdf

But Malaysia is closed for all entries until August 31st.

Yes, is a different program in the same university , so you are saying in this case i can just extend the same visa i was issued originally correct ? ... if thats the case whats the procedure ?

i dont think there is a designated embassy responsible for sudan  because there is an office there already but its only able to issue tourist visa not ED visa.

24 minutes ago, freesudani said:

Yes, is a different program in the same university , so you are saying in this case i can just extend the same visa i was issued originally correct ? ... if thats the case whats the procedure ?

Since the amnesty was in effect when your previous extension based upon attending school expired while on the the amnesty technically it is still valid. As I wrote before the university should contact immigration to get info since the are the ones that are supporting your application.

27 minutes ago, freesudani said:

i dont think there is a designated embassy responsible for sudan  because there is an office there already but its only able to issue tourist visa not ED visa.

Apparently the embassy in Cairo is responsible for Sudan. The honorary consulate in Khartoum is shown on their webpage here. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/cairo/en/organize/46045-Royal-Thai-Consulate,Khartoum-and-Djibouti.html  The consulate should be able to assitst with the application for non-ed visa application.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since the amnesty was in effect when your previous extension based upon attending school expired while on the the amnesty technically it is still valid. As I wrote before the university should contact immigration to get info since the are the ones that are supporting your application.

Apparently the embassy in Cairo is responsible for Sudan. The honorary consulate in Khartoum is shown on their webpage here. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/cairo/en/organize/46045-Royal-Thai-Consulate,Khartoum-and-Djibouti.html  The consulate should be able to assitst with the application for non-ed visa application.

But even if i decided to go out of thailand just to get a visa it doesnt make sense .... i have to qurantine in my home country ... and if im able to get the visa  and supposedly im able to return to thailand (which is highly unlikely) ... i have to quarantine on my own expenses as well   not to mention the plane ticket prices ....is the immigration law that rigid they dont consider that it doesnt make sense ?....my university is not offering much help ,  they just say we dont know we havent come across something like this before.... so im taking the documents and going to CW myself to inquire.

5 minutes ago, freesudani said:

But even if i decided to go out of thailand just to get a visa it doesnt make sense .... i have to qurantine in my home country ... and if im able to get the visa  and supposedly im able to return to thailand (which is highly unlikely) ... i have to quarantine on my own expenses as well   not to mention the plane ticket prices ....is the immigration law that rigid they dont consider that it doesnt make sense ?....my university is not offering much help ,  they just say we dont know we havent come across something like this before.... so im taking the documents and going to CW myself to inquire.

I cannot help much with anything to do with traveling to or entering Sudan. You can find more info about it by clicking Sudan on the map here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

All you can do is try and get the extension done by going to CW yourself and trying if the university will not help.

• Like 1

It is a shame where regulations that were and still in place never took into account that people cannot travel out, get a visa, and travel back.

I think that although frustrating and no direction or solution is available. You must seek advice and plead with the University the unfounded situation you are currently in. As I cannot see the immigration changing any rules quickly or for individual claims.

I just hope you find a solution. But dont give up. Keep going..

18 minutes ago, Raphus said:

It is a shame where regulations that were and still in place never took into account that people cannot travel out, get a visa, and travel back.

I think that although frustrating and no direction or solution is available. You must seek advice and plead with the University the unfounded situation you are currently in. As I cannot see the immigration changing any rules quickly or for individual claims.

I just hope you find a solution. But dont give up. Keep going..

thank you for the soldiraty and support , i really hope too as well as i already paid into the program , and this visa rules doesnt make sense at all , i remember when i was doing my studies in turkey , i see students changing from program to another and sometimes from one university to another, some even remain for 5-10 years on program that lasts 4 years  without having anyone asking them to leave the country and reapply for a visa .