Hi there Thai Visa, I have a question.

Sart Bimpson

Whats going down guys? 
im Sart. Newbie so please be gentle ????

I have a question regarding me and my partner. is it legal in Thailand to marry a transgender woman? We have been dating since 2017 and would like to take the next step. However we are currently unsure as to the legalities here. 

i know in my home country (Denmark) it is perfectly legal to do so. Not sure about here so we would appreciate any help. We would rather get married here as we live here and have no plans to back to europe any time soon.

happy to be here and thank you for reading!

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No. I'm afraid not. 

There may be a kind of domestic partnership legalization for LGBT passed here soon which you could do but so far no word that it will be viewed by immigration the same as marriage.

Okey.

thank you for the information and im hoping the law changes soon.

32 minutes ago, Sart Bimpson said:

Okey.

thank you for the information and im hoping the law changes soon.

I think there is a very good chance that the not the same as marriage thing will pass fairly soon. It will allow either two Thais or one foreigner and one Thai, but not two foreigners to legalize in that way. But actual marriage equality for LGBT people here is a long way off if ever. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

A post with a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.