Arise Sir Tom: Queen Elizabeth knights 100-year-old fundraising captain

rooster59

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Ignored by those handing out gongs and official accolades is what I meant.

Which I thought was obvious from the context. Apparently not for some.

#30 was primarily for your benefit, 49

(Presumably you won't need a link...? 

Edited by evadgib

14 hours ago, englishoak said:

Congrats to a real hero.  His commander in chief and fellow knight of the realm would have been proud. 

1580533124150.jpg

Pedant's corner.

The UK's armed forces commander in chief during the war was not Churchill. As the reigning monarch is always commander in chief it was King George VI.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, evadgib said:

....dated 22 JUNE 2020 ie after the honors list in which Sir Tom's knighthood was published (& let's not forget the has nearly ran out for the latter!)

Had the Olympics or Euro  gone ahead this year the earliest any of them could expect similar recognition would be in the NY honors list & not to receive them before the spring of 2021.

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

#30 was primarily for your benefit, 49

(Presumably you won't need a link...? 

Whatever your motivation for posting it and whoever's benefit it is for, it's wrong.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic the 2020 birthday honours list has not yet been published and won't be until sometime in the autumn; see here.

Note that it says the list was agreed before the pandemic, so Sir Tom would not have been on it. Indeed, as all the reports here in the UK clearly stated, his knighthood and it's timing was a special award from the Prime Minister. That obviously didn't reach you out wherever you are.

Why he made this special award at a time of his falling popularity both in the country and his Parliamentary party instead of waiting until the New Years list isn't hard to work out!

(Sorry to drag politics into this, but it needed to be said after your comments.)

Hopefully the efforts and achievements of all those like young Tony Hudgell as well as all those tirelessly working in the NHS, care homes, essential services etc. throughout the emergency will be properly recognised when the time comes.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Whatever your motivation for posting it and whoever's benefit it is for, it's wrong.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic the 2020 birthday honours list has not yet been published and won't be until sometime in the autumn; see here.

Note that it says the list was agreed before the pandemic, so Sir Tom would not have been on it. Indeed, as all the reports here in the UK clearly stated, his knighthood and it's timing was a special award from the Prime Minister. That obviously didn't reach you out wherever you are.

Why he made this special award at a time of his falling popularity both in the country and his Parliamentary party instead of waiting until the New Years list isn't hard to work out!

(Sorry to drag politics into this, but it needed to be said after your comments.)

Hopefully the efforts and achievements of all those like young Tony Hudgell as well as all those tirelessly working in the NHS, care homes, essential services etc. throughout the emergency will be properly recognised when the time comes.

It was nonetheless a 'birthday honour' for the reason I pointed out, 49 ()

furthermore it enabled Her Majesty to avoid being too heavily drawn into another event that surfaced there yesterday...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

It was nonetheless a 'birthday honour' for the reason I pointed out, 49 ()

furthermore it enabled Her Majesty to avoid being too heavily drawn into another event that surfaced there yesterday...

A birthday honour added after the list had closed. Also given before the list was published and before others on that list, whoever they are, have received their honours. Neither of which will happen until the autumn.

I have nothing against Sir Tom, and feel he does deserve his honour. 

But I have to wonder why these special arrangements have been made by the Prime Minister in his case; especially at a time when Johnson is coming under increasing pressure from his own back benchers.

If such special arrangements can be made for him, why not for others who are equally deserving and, let's be honest, equally fragile.

24 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I think that degree of cynicism (and trolling) says an awful lot more about you, than the wonderful gesture to recognise Sir Tom's fundraising effort.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Give it  a rest, why can you not just say well done Sir Tom, instead of prattling on about special arrangements.

Please troll somewhere else.

I did; long before my stalker turned up and I allowed myself to fall for his baiting.

But point taken, gentlemen. I'll let him continue his activities without me.

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

lol, In any thread where you prove to be the silver medallist your MO is to have all trace of your own participation completely evaporated courtesy of the 'speed-dial' relationship you have previously bragged about.

YOU bait more posts than just about anyone else yet have the gall to cry wolf! :blink:

Whatever this means, my only possible response is to advise that you take more water with it.

Now, you've diverted enough; can you please let others get this thread back on topic.

I will not be responding to your baiting further.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

A birthday honour added after the list had closed. Also given before the list was published and before others on that list, whoever they are, have received their honours. Neither of which will happen until the autumn.

I have nothing against Sir Tom, and feel he does deserve his honour. 

But I have to wonder why these special arrangements have been made by the Prime Minister in his case; especially at a time when Johnson is coming under increasing pressure from his own back benchers.

If such special arrangements can be made for him, why not for others who are equally deserving and, let's be honest, equally fragile.

Which other people who are 100 years old , should also have received special arrangements ?