DLT Bangchak 5 Yr renewal - Must make appt

Misty

Just fyi, to renew a 5 year license at Bangkok's DLT Bangchak you currently need to make an appointment and there's quite a backlog. One of my licenses expires this month, so I went to DLT Bangchak today thinking things worked the way they used to and I'd get a new license today.  However, the earliest I could get a renewal appointment was 2 Oct.  Only 12 non-Thai license applicants are being accepted per day, apparently. 

The DLT staff said my license will remain good "all year" and that the license, along with my appointment slip, would be all I would need to show the police if I get stopped in the meantime.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ha55ha said:

Thanks for the info. My 2 year license has just expired and I was planning to go in next week. Do I need to go in to get myself on the appointment list?

I'm not sure if there's another way for foreigners to get an appointment.  I know there are some online methods for certain types of activities at the DLT. Many of the Thai customers were checking their phones against the DLT records, but it looked a bit confused on both sides.

If you go in person, you get the clarity of signing up in a permanent paper list in a book and they hand you a yellow appointment slip with the date and time recorded. DLT said this appointment slip will satisfy any policeman checking if licenses are expired.

I too would like to know if I could send my wife to register me on the appointments list. I work all day so it would be great if she could do it for me. I don't trust the 'online' method as I hear there are a lot of problems, especially for foreigners trying to register.