Used Cars In Thailand - Is there such a thing as Blue Book or Carfax?

In the USA there are a number of services such as Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds that give buyers an idea of what typical used car prices are.  Also, a great service is Carfax.  In the USA if an car is involved in an accident, or has a recall, the repair shop has to report it by vehicle identification number.  Carfax provides a service where you can view the history of the car showing where it was purchased, how many times sold, number of miles reported during any service and any accident or recall history.  Does any of that exist in Thailand or is it merely buyer beware here?  Any suggestions on shopping for used cars?  

• Haha 1

No such thing here to attest the accuracy of any information provided by someone selling a car. 

Caveat Emptor is very much the key wording.

Regarding pricing - look on webpages such as one2car.com to get an estimate of what a car is worth.

Every single car is priced for negotiation room.... how much room is down to your negotiation.

-------

I was selling car a couple of years ago... I received a message from a guy wanting to purchase for 25% less than I had the car listed for. There wasn’t even any point in opening negotiation, the guy got angry and started sending me messages about ‘Sales 101’ and other stupid comments, telling me I’d never sell my car and his was the only solid offer I would receive !!! absolute tool !!! I told him even if he offered me the asking price he can get stuffed !!!! (only way to deal with such a time waster). 

I’ve digressed.... Know the value of the car you want to purchase. Look for Full Service History. Check of any water damage (lots of flooding in Thailand).

Pay for a Garage you trust to have the car checked out - if seller rejects this, walk !.

• Like 2

I can only convey my experience in Udon Thani...wanted to sell a one owner low mileage Mazda...went to new and used dealerships for a price

Everyone said wait a moment...walked away and called someone on their cell to get a quote on the car...there appeared to be a one source clearinghouse for setting used car prices...all came back with the same price...

BTW...took the unblemished car to get detailed...under the hood and all...cost 1,500 baht...gained another 35,000 baht on offers...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:36 AM, Puchaiyank said:

I can only convey my experience in Udon Thani...wanted to sell a one owner low mileage Mazda...went to new and used dealerships for a price

Everyone said wait a moment...walked away and called someone on their cell to get a quote on the car...there appeared to be a one source clearinghouse for setting used car prices...all came back with the same price...

BTW...took the unblemished car to get detailed...under the hood and all...cost 1,500 baht...gained another 35,000 baht on offers...????

They were calling the local used car dealer tents all of whom would refer to post #5

On 7/25/2020 at 1:10 PM, Daffy D said:

Seems they have red book:-

https://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th

Well found. I knew there was something, but couldn't remember what/where.

• Like 1