Anyone Got A Talking Dictionary

glenbat

anyone got a talking English to Thai dictionary? Wondered what they are like and can they translate full sentences or just single words.... I'm guessing you type in your desired word/sentence and it translates it and plays it out to you in Thai?

Any advice greatly appreciated

The best ones I've found will translate from English to Thai, and from Thai to English, but only words, not sentences. Except they might have a phrasebook which translates preprogrammed phrases, sentences, questions, etc.

The talking portion will "say" the English words and will "say" the preprogrammed phrases in Thai. I was hoping to be able to put in a Thai word and have it "say" the word in Thai so I could check my pronunciation. Unfortunately, this seems to be beyond their scope at this time.

I have a little E-Dict one. Has come in very handy at times. Type in a word and it wil show the word in Thai and say it in English. It also has a few pre programmed phrases in as well. You can get them wiyh up to around 25 languages but we only got the 4 language one English, Japanese Chinese and Thai. If you are in Bkk there are lots to choose from at Pantip plaza. Start from around 3000baht up

I am looking for a handheld electronic talking dictionary too. I have an old "Talking-Dict" electronic dictionary but it only speaks in English (and not very good). I went to the "Talking-Dict" booth at a mall to see if the newer ones are any better. They do have phrases that can be spoken in Thai (again not very good). But not individual words. The best talking dictionary I found is a PC software dictionary from ThaiSoftware. I have version 5.5 and it cost around 299 Baht. It does a fairly decent job of speaking and is quite useful. The other speaking tool I found was a piece of freware/software called Vocatude. If you search the WEB for it you should be able to find it and maybe some Thai words lists.

I am still looking for a good speaking handheld electronic Thai dictionary but yet to find one.