Thai Names

I've been making a list of Thai names for plants as they crop up on the forum & doing a bit of searching around also.

Here's the list so far.

Plant_Names___Thai.rtf

I'm particularly looking for Cumin, not the yellow stuff (Turmeric) that comes from a root like ginger, but the Indian spice seed that makes a brown powder.

also:

Avacado, Kaffir Lime, Jackfruit, Pear, Plum, Mandarin Orange,Peach ,Grapefruit.

Please speak up if you know of any more.

I've been making a list of Thai names for plants as they crop up on the forum & doing a bit of searching around also.

Here's the list so far.

Plant_Names___Thai.rtf

I'm particularly looking for Cumin, not the yellow stuff (Turmeric) that comes from a root like ginger, but the Indian spice seed that makes a brown powder.

also:

Useful list, Pond Life. Better yet if folks can add the Thai spelling also.

I suggest Sweet corn be amended to Khao Pot Wan.

I'm delighted to see your entry "Morning Glory - Pak Boong". Seen it yet Ramdom Chances??? :o

Jackfruit = kanoon; bamboo shoot = normai; cumin = I thought the Thais used the same word (?)

Yes, good idea for Thai spelling, maybe I could copy & paste it in, as i sure cant read it.

The Thai's do use the word Cumin but it describes what I call Turmeric, which is yellow & comes from plant that looks like ginger, except the root is smaller.

The Cumin I'm looking for is used alot in Indian cooking either as a whole seed or as a ground powder (brown), see origional post.

I have a Thai-English dictionary named:

Domnern-Sathienpong Thai_English Dictionary

by Domnern Garden and Satheinpong Wannapok

published by Amarin Printing and Publishing Company Limited, Bangkok Thailand

I have the second edition, 1999

ISBN: 974-272-096-7

It has appendices in the back specifically for:

Birds

Mammals

Reptiles

Insects

Plants

Aquatic Life

Geographic Names

Thai Dishes and Ingredients

Military and Police Ranks

Thai Government Organs and Banks (no doubt obsolete by now)

You have to do a reverse look up since the items are listed in Thai and the English names are then given. Cumin is powdered coriander seed and coriander in Thai is called pak chee....so the seeds are called met pak chee.

Im afraid your dictionary has its facts wrong.

Cumin is definatly not ground coriander seeds, these are 2 very different things, but both are used in indian cooking.

The Thai name Cumin comes from the active ingredient in Turmeric which is "curcumin".

I tried to attach some info here but cant seem to upload it.

Try going to wikipedia or google & searching cumin, turmeric & coriander

Im afraid your dictionary has its facts wrong.

Cumin is definatly not ground coriander seeds, these are 2 very different things, but both are used in indian cooking.

The Thai name Cumin comes from the active ingredient in Turmeric which is "curcumin".

I tried to attach some info here but cant seem to upload it.

Try going to wikipedia or google & searching cumin, turmeric & coriander

met yi ra appears to be the Thai for cumin seeds

There is a lot of confusion re. cumin, some recipes even call carraway or fennel cumin...

Bt

Edited by btate

also:

My dictionary doesn't list most of those but here are the ones I found

Kaffir Lime = magroot

Jackfruit = ka noon

Mandarin Orange = som keo wan

I agree with Btate on Cumin although an alternate spelling would be yee rah and I don't think you need to specify seed (met) in front, as cumin is the spice that comes from a plant called tian kou (as per my dictionary).

In your list you also list basil as Bai Horapa. I believe your intention is to refer to the plant, in which case you should not use bai in front of horapa because bai refers specificly to the leaves of the plant.

Pond LIfe,

I didn't get the def. for cumin from the dictionary I got it from here:

http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=X&start...uTH3tRMhPKtdX2g

which I found while googling for "coriander" where it says:

"Seeds of cilantro. Used alone or ground as cumin

and from the same google (for "coriander") I found this:

Dhania. One of the most important spices in Indian cookery. The leaves of the plant can be used fresh and the seeds used whole or ground.

which was from:

www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/3012/glossary.htm

ON the other hand at this site:

http://www.theculinarypalette.com/Encyclopedia.htm

I found these two definitions that indicate that coriander seed and cumin come from two entirely different plants.

Coriander Coriandrum sativum, which first produces the cilantro leaf, yields the coriander seed in the fall. The seeds can be used whole in pickling spice and various luncheon meats, or ground in lavash cuisines such as Moroccan, Mexican, and Brazilian. An easy herb to grow in your backyard, coriander is primarily cultivated in the Mediterranean countries.

Cumin Cuminum cyminum produces the oval-shaped cumin seed we commonly used in Mexican cuisine. This spice can be found prominently in places like Turkey, India, China, and Mexico. Foods such as tacos, chutneys and salsas, curries, and the like will have a strong presence of cumin.

I'm confused....nothing new.

Chownah

Pond LIfe,

I

Coriander Coriandrum sativum, which first produces the cilantro leaf, yields the coriander seed in the fall. The seeds can be used whole in pickling spice and various luncheon meats, or ground in lavash cuisines such as Moroccan, Mexican, and Brazilian. An easy herb to grow in your backyard, coriander is primarily cultivated in the Mediterranean countries.

Cumin Cuminum cyminum produces the oval-shaped cumin seed we commonly used in Mexican cuisine. This spice can be found prominently in places like Turkey, India, China, and Mexico. Foods such as tacos, chutneys and salsas, curries, and the like will have a strong presence of cumin.

I'm confused....nothing new.

Chownah

Chownah

To lessen your confusion this link should help. A Thai chef (published) explains it all with pix.

http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/cumin_coriander.php

Bt

Edit------ google coriander seeds then images lol, you'll also see in the middle of the page top line or two a photo of cumin seeds right next to 'fresh still on the plant coriander' seems we are not alone in being confused.

Edited by btate

I asked my wife about pears.....she said "prah"....sounds like prayer, almost the same as pear.

Grapefruit she believes is "som oh"

Suspecting som oh wasn't exactly grapefruit, I googled and discovered they are pomelo. I discovered more than that, however, as I came across an excellent list of probably most Thai fruit & veg: http://www.expathuahin.com/fruit-vegetables-huahin.php

I think we might have cracked it.

2 spellings for cumin seeds Mellet Yira & Met Yee Ra.

They both sound somewhat close to the Indian word for cumin "Jeera".

"Dhaniya" is the Indian word for ground corriander seeds.

PL, brilliant site!! thanks,

The times ive asked my mrs to get some oregano spice, if only id said it slowly!! Seriously, its a good site and has the correct spelling for winged beans,

Very Good Post, Thanks, Lickey.

I followed the link that Khonwan posted & at the bottom of the page it said for a full list go here

http://www.panix.com/%7Eclay/cookbook/bin/thai.cgi

Its a huge list, mainly aimed at cooks, but also has all the names in Thai script.

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

PF... Thanks for that, I'll CHEW on it for awhile...

Will try and get it formated for print so the Ms can have it at hand as well as I.

Bt

Here's the list so far.

Plant_Names___Thai.rtf

also:

Hi,

A while ago i came across an interesting book: 'A Thai Herbal: Traditional Recipes for health and harmony' by C. Pierce Salguero (ISBN) 974 9575 74 1), which I bought at the Suriwong Bookcenter in Chiang Mai.

The book gives the action, taste, part used, internal application and topical application of many medicinal plants and some minerals. it gives the scientific name, the Engish name, and the Thia name (in both Thai and English phonetics). A great book!

There is also a website: www.Thai-herbs.com

Hope this is helpfull,

Nienke

P.S. Neem is mentioned in this book, Andrographis was not, btw (referring to my question on the CM forum)

Here's the list so far.

Plant_Names___Thai.rtf

also:

In my Ayurvedic herbal book, they mention Cumin as turmeric. I understand there are two versions of Cumin.

Avocado = ??

Kaffir lime = Makrut มะกรูด

jackfruit = kanoon

pear = ??

Plum = dunno, but plum mango = Gandaria = Maprang มะปราง

Mandarin Orange = Som Kieo Wan ส็มเขียวหวาน

Peach = ?? (thought it was just Peach pronounced in the Thai way)

grapefruit = never saw grapfruit here, but then I hardly ever go to rimping carrefour tops, etc. Did see Pomelo though = Som O ส้มโอ

Nienke

I asked my wife about pears.....she said "prah"....sounds like prayer, almost the same as pear.

Grapefruit she believes is "som oh"

Som-oh is Thai word for pomelo. There are no grapefruit in Thai markets. I've started a few dozen trees pink grapefruit from seed (some are 5 years old and 3 meters tall). Still have about 5 more years to wait for them to bear fruit. My Lao workers and I call it 'som-oh farang' for lack of a better word. I haven't seen the list yet (plan to do so), but is 'fig' on there? Oddly, though there are several types of indigenous figs in thailand, there are no edible figs in the marketplace that I've ever seen - certainly no fresh figs. I also grow figs at my C.Rai farm: mission and dakota types. They're like spoilt brats, they like excellent soil and lots of water every day. Anything less, and they just hang out, ho hum.

No, fig not on there yet, have you got a Thai name for them ?

They grow wild all over Thailand but Thai's dont seem to eat them.

Im planning to get some wild seedlings in the ground this rainy season.

Whats the likelyhood of your grapefruit fruiting ?

I've heard citrus from seed is difficult & requires grafting.

Another way might be to bring in saplings, my parents brought me 2 Cox's apple trees.

They came with an EU plant passport, roots very clean, they got stopped at customs CM, showed the paperwork, no problem.

They're growing great but dont know if they'll ever fruit.

• 11 months later...

Excellent post, Thank you all !

Good work Pond life, quite useful ! How about adding latin names to the list too ? :o:D:D

btw, I often get squares instead of thai script for about 3/4 of the thai names in the document. How can I correct that ?