Police Swoop On Ten Million Baht Worth Of Fakes......

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: April 24th 2007

Ten Million Baht Fakes Haul

As ordered by the Royal Thai Police, Police Major General Wisut Wanichayabut, Commander of Economic and Cyber – Crime Division inspected Pattaya on 22nd April concerning reproduction and counterfeit pirate copies of various brand name products.

The team went to inspect Mike Shopping Mall and found a large number of copied products on sale, therefore asked for support from Pattaya Tourist Police to arrest the suspects together with the evidence. They discovered 25 shops and 5 suspect traders selling illegal products including brand name fashion clothing and accessories, especially designer watches and sunglasses.

According to the law if found guilty, the penalty is up to 4 years in prison, up to 400,000 Baht fine or both; which was explained to the suspects.

The evidence seized could be called the largest arrest ever made in Pattaya because all was worth approximately 10 Million Baht.

Police Major General Wisut stated “these products must have been made in China and shipped through Klong Toei Port and Laem Chabang Port.

From this arrest, it could be seen that the officials neglected their duties because the products are out on sale openly and it was even on sale at a large department store like this. More strict work should be done about this”.

All the arrested suspects were taken away for further questioning.

According to the law if found guilty, the penalty is up to 4 years in prison, up to 400,000 Baht fine or both; which was explained to the suspects.

And did I read yesterday, they are proposing to raise the penalty for drunk driving to 1 yr in prison, and 20,000 baht fine.

I guess they'll be sold their own goods back at a very good price so they can sell them again to pay the fines.

They'll just have to up the retail prices to the public.

The good old BIB, keeping the wheels of industry turning :o

As ordered by the Royal Thai Police, Police Major General Wisut Wanichayabut, Commander of Economic and Cyber – Crime Division inspected Pattaya on 22nd April concerning reproduction and counterfeit pirate copies of various brand name products.

The team went to inspect Mike Shopping Mall and found a large number of copied products on sale, therefore asked for support from Pattaya Tourist Police to arrest the suspects together with the evidence. They discovered 25 shops and 5 suspect traders selling illegal products including brand name fashion clothing and accessories, especially designer watches and sunglasses.

The evidence seized could be called the largest arrest ever made in Pattaya because all was worth approximately 10 Million Baht.

Police Major General Wisut stated "these products must have been made in China and shipped through Klong Toei Port and Laem Chabang Port.

From this arrest, it could be seen that the officials neglected their duties because the products are out on sale openly and it was even on sale at a large department store like this. More strict work should be done about this".

All the arrested suspects were taken away for further questioning.

What a crock ! if every tourist and local could see that stuff there every day then wht couldnt old bill ? nah ,more like Mike stopped paying for the coffee !

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think they are getting the real deal because its like a big department store. I have met many people who have told me '' i got it from Mike's so it must be real''.

Suckers!

I bought black Levi 501s in Mikes about 18 months ago. It bought in the store and not from any of the stalls. They were only £10 ( 7,000bht )cheaper than the uk price, but they were fake. And not even good fakes. After one wash they went all white streaks. I was pissed off that a department store sold fakes and i wouldnt buy any brand names again in Thailand.

I bought black Levi 501s in Mikes about 18 months ago. It bought in the store and not from any of the stalls. They were only £10 ( 7,000bht )cheaper than the uk price, but they were fake. And not even good fakes. After one wash they went all white streaks. I was pissed off that a department store sold fakes and i wouldnt buy any brand names again in Thailand.

Lol...what do you expect at that price?

Who made you believe that you can buy an original pair of Levis at 700 Bht (you wrote 7,000 Bht, that indeed should be an original).

Clothes are one thing, but if you buy expensive watches, you really have to be very careful in Thailand, no matter where you shop.

Who made you believe that you can buy an original pair of Levis at 700 Bht ...snip

He/she said 700 baht cheaper, not 700 baht total.

Yes, thats what I meant. Thanks. I thought they were genuine because it was a department store and that they were almost the same price as in the uk. £35 or 25,000 baht.

Who made you believe that you can buy an original pair of Levis at 700 Bht ...snip

He/she said 700 baht cheaper, not 700 baht total.

Yes, thats what I meant. Thanks. I thought they were genuine because it was a department store and that they were almost the same price as in the uk. £35 or 25,000 baht.

Note to self.

Next time I have a spare 25k Baht, buy some jeans.

Well done Cops! For protecting the HUGE profits made by Levi, Gucci and Rolex etc.

But isn't this is another nail in the Coffin of Tourism?

Cheap copy goods are one of the reasons people come to Pattaya.......

Sure it's illegal to sell copy goods. But get your priorities right Mr Policeman!

It's illegal to murder and mug. SO why don't you put all their efforts and resources into stopping those FAR more dastardly activities?

Edited by Luckydog

Excuse my ignorance, but obviously all the clothing on the ground floor is fake - as is evidenced by the price, presentation etc.

But when you go up to the 2nd - 4th floors. they have proper 'Brand' areas for shirts, jeans etc, where they have a full range of styles and sizes as in the BKK dept stores with prices to match. Are you saying that all this stuff is fake as well? If so, the higher you go in the store - the more you pay for the same crap.

Or am I missing something?

It always amazed me that they sell genuine lacoste upstairs.

I was speaking to one of the owners who was "arrested".

The police took her and 5 others to Bangkok, kept them there for two hours and then fined them 500baht each................

and then.........................

gave them all their confiscated gear back and brought them back to Pattaya ! !

TIT

Edited by johnh101