CM Muang Thai Marathon same same as Bangkok Marathon

holy cow cm

Since I have run this event about 3 times I decided to look up online to see what  

they are doing as read the Bangkok marathon was banning foreigners from joining only to change their decision after backlash now to include expats. Well CM is pulling the same BS. Only Thai people allowed and foreigners who live here will only be considered to be allowed in October 1. 

Now if I am not mistaken, there is no CV19 running rampant that we know of here. And if I am not mistaken it is only the Thai coming back from abroad who have it while in quarantine. So it is now a Thai virus for the most part. So where is this hysteria coming from and why is it allowed to manifest and fester? Racism is not a good thing especially when the logic behind it is ludicrous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And it still begs the question: Why are we wearing masks? We are 5.5 cycles of 14 days of virus-free Thailand. When is someone in power going to look at the facts and use logic? 

Aside from the dubious "protective" qualities of a face covering for a respiratory infection, what are we doing if there is no virus in the Kingdom? 

It's like someone pumping at the well days and days after the water has run dry. What would you call a person doing that? 

The fact that there was so much blow-back from the Bangkok Marathon clearly had no effect on those organizers in Chiang Mai. The fact is these people are ignoramuses, and I mean that in the strict sense -- a person who knows nothing. 

I would love to hear an interview from the head of the CM marathon organizers explain how foreigners are potentially more disease-ridden than Thais, given that the country has been on border lockdown for months. We here in Thailand over the past 4 months of lockdown are all biologically human; you may think foreigners are "dirty farangs," but we all share the same biology. 

It's instances like these when the Thais show their true face. 

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

It's like someone pumping at the well days and days after the water has run dry.

You think dry wells always stay dry forever? Don’t you know that dry wells often refill or partially refill with water?

The racism as targeting us expats like leper’s is now getting out of hand. If the virus is going to open up again it will be from their own people coming back from abroad or from the workers coming in from the surrounding countries. As stated I joined 3 runs before in previous years here in CM, but I feel now I would rather cut my feet off this year rather than feel like they threw me a bone and let me run because I live here. 

• Like 1

"If the virus is going to open up again it will be from their own people coming back from abroad or from the workers coming in from the surrounding countries."

Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, governments and big thinkers now seem to believe this virus can or should be eradicated (like herpes and HIV and the common influenza have been eradicated), meaning zero cases forever. With this thinking, tourism will never come back, ever. 

And yes, let the sponsor know how you feel. Then again, they probably care as much as the organizers about any knock-on effect by losing a couple of farang customers. We probably make up about 0.5% of their business. 

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So where is this hysteria coming from and why is it allowed to manifest and fester? Racism is not a good thing especially when the logic behind it is ludicrous. 

Identification of enemies as a unifying cause

#3 in the 14 defining Characteristics  of Fascism

Just how many of the 14 does Thailand not already achieve?

fascism-50-728.jpg

Edited by meechai

On 8/9/2020 at 7:24 PM, Trujillo said:

From where would a virus spontaneously arise here? 

Has it been hiding in your socks' drawer all this time? 

Vietnam reports local cases after 99 days of no new cases so it was “hiding” somewhere you seem incapable of imagining or did you figure it out.  Please do let us know.

If it can happen in Vietnam why not here?

53 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Vietnam reports local cases after 99 days of no new cases so it was “hiding” somewhere you seem incapable of imagining or did you figure it out.  Please do let us know.

If it can happen in Vietnam why not here?

I was just talking on the phone with my VN Friends I do business with and this topic came up. Actually the virus came from Chinese sneaking over the border.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Of course that is where all the cases in the world came from.

That is the official word and news in VN for why the new outbreak. Stands to reason to be correct from Chinese illegal entry. If you notice it is only in the upper northern territory..

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 7:24 PM, Trujillo said:

From where would a virus spontaneously arise here? 

Has it been hiding in your socks' drawer all this time? 

New Zealand detects its first locally transmitted coronavirus cases in more than 100 days.

Ask New Zealand where it was hiding.  Unlikely some Chinese sneaking across the border.

'The four new cases (in New Zealand of unknown origin) are all members of a single family. None had traveled overseas recently.'

There is certainly more there than is being reported. More to the point is who they were in contact with. They were going to work or school, shopping and eating and socializing. It would be political suicide in today's PC climate to point the finger at any one group, but there are illegal aliens -- not many to be sure -- who come into NZ. 

“People smuggling,” or organized illegal immigration, is one of the new breed of transnational issues confronting states all over the developed world. Australia and New Zealand, while not experiencing the problem to the same degree as North America and Europe, nevertheless have not been immune to attempts to circumvent their normal immigration regimes. During the last several years Australia has experienced numerous attempts to land Chinese illegal immigrants by boat. During the last year, however, these attempts have taken a new direction and the boats have been ferrying Middle East and Southwest Asian nationals from Indonesia to Australia’s northern coast.

--The Context and Risk of Organised Illegal Immigration to New Zealand:
An Exploration in Policy Relevant Research 

But this is off topic. The fact is that the real question is why are the CM marathon organizers doing this? Are they really this ignorant? Is that even possible? 

12 hours ago, Trujillo said:

The four new cases (in New Zealand of unknown origin) are all members of a single family. None had traveled overseas recently.'

There is certainly more there than is being reported. More to the point is who they were in contact with.

All one family.  You're right, it is off-topic, but...

The father works at a cold store, they are currently testing frozen items that have been imported. 4 close contacts (including 2 more workers at the cold store) showing flu-like symptoms are isolating waiting for test results.  China has reported live virus being on the packaging of frozen Norwegian Salmon, and many believe the mini-outbreak in Beijing last month was from such a case (they looked at that immediately, said it was the source, then changed their minds and said it wasn't.  It has since been separately reported as being detected on frozen plastic packaging elsewhere in China and scientists have confirmed how well it survives being frozen).

This has just reminded me that the cold weather is coming to western countries in the northern hemisphere - ideal conditions for the virus is 5 degrees celsius (which coincidentally is the operating temperature of abattoirs, thousands of which have had outbreaks\clusters in pretty much every country around the world).  I really hope I'm wrong, but the numbers in EU and US could get pretty ugly.

BTW - I agree with you on the masks being superfluous if there really are zero cases in the wild here, I only wear mine because of the 'dirty Farang' label that was pinned on us and my desire to prove them wrong, but like pretty much everyone else I see now, I only half wear it.  Also,  to get back onto the OT. I should say that I don't feel as though people are treating me any differently, but it's always a bit hard to tell with Thai's even when they're not wearing masks.  I had hoped that the lack of tourists through border closures would make them realise the contribution that expats make to the local economies, but that doesn't seem to be happening in the slightest.