NYC – BKK in Oct: What’s wrong with this plan?

11 hours ago, habuspasha said:

And I still don't understand the proper sequence of steps--flight, ASQ, and CoE, or when and whom to ask for what.  But I have written to the Consul in NY and will continue to follow the news here on this invaluable source.  Thanks again.

1. Submission of application for the COE

After you receive a go ahead from the embassy/consulate:

2. Flight (only ones approved by the embassy allowed)

3. ASQ hotel for the date of arrival

Edited by unheard

22 hours ago, habuspasha said:

What am I missing?

They are pretty freaked abt covid here... and htus the very low numbers... I do not see them letting anyone in soon...

What you are missing... 

2 Rays Pizzas - I prefer the W. 11th Street Branch

2 Roast Beef Sandwiches from your corner Deli

2 Jrs. Cheesecakes..

and a dozen sesame bagels... 

You will be well rewarded... I am sure. 

45 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

At least they are offering a refund—That is better than most airlines.  I hold two vouchers for flights that were cancelled and the airlines refuse to give any refund.  One of the vouchers expires at the end of 2020 and the airline probably won’t even be flying by then. ????????????????

But what airline please?  

20 hours ago, unheard said:

"First,  I notice that there ARE flights now on Qatar and JAL.  I book business (in case it matters) with points (so it’s refundable)."

Flight booking is the last part of the process as it stands for now.

The flights you see on the booking websites are not flying passengers in - only cargo.

You could book those flights for months and every single one of them got cancelled with the exception of repatriation flights that were arranged by the Thai embassy, just one month in advance.

e.g. this month you can only book repatriation flights for August.

The September repat flights schedule is still unknown and has not been published.

The repat flights can only be purchased at the contracted by the embassy travel agencies or at special links for specific flights established by the contracted airlines.

So are you saying Korean Air flight 651 from Seoul to BKK which landed yesterday on time and is scheduled to land today on time and goes about 5x a week is only a repatriation flight?  I’m very confused by your post. My friend is leaving Thailand on KAL to the USA next week and will be flying on his final leg on flight 651 when returning to BKK. The airlines say ok. On line I see the flight operating regularly. Please explain what you posted more clearly. 

Edited by alex8912

Interesting how on Visa amnesty topics, tons of people are saying flying out is the easiest thing in the world and flights are highly reliable. But on topics about getting in it seems like every flight is getting cancelled. Which one is it?

Edited by Seik

Again, thank you all.  I figured I would get a lot of responses from this group with a red-meat subtitle like “what’s wrong with this plan?”  I didn’t expect such helpful advice though.  Wars, especially, thanks for the detail on dealing with the NY consul.  Much obliged.  Others have clarified the issue of available flights and the sequence of steps.  And I will not book an ASQ before I have a date.  (I would have cancelled before full-payment deadline anyway.)  TV has just become an essential part of my life.  Up there with the NY Times.

1 hour ago, Seik said:

Interesting how on Visa amnesty topics, tons of people are saying flying out is the easiest thing in the world and flights are highly reliable. But on topics about getting in it seems like every flight is getting cancelled. Which one is it?

Both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

So are you saying Korean Air flight 651 from Seoul to BKK which landed yesterday on time and is scheduled to land today on time and goes about 5x a week is only a repatriation flight?  I’m very confused by your post. My friend is leaving Thailand on KAL to the USA next week and will be flying on his final leg on flight 651 when returning to BKK. The airlines say ok. On line I see the flight operating regularly. Please explain what you posted more clearly. 

Arrives empty (possibly cargo/repatriation) and leaves with passengers.  Try booking it for August, you cant.  You can for September as they are gambling on restrictions being lifted.  You can book KE652 back to Seoul right now if you want.

14 hours ago, J Town said:

EVA air has been posting return flights from US during the whole pandemic (at HUGELY inflated prices!). Just cuz you book the flight doesn't mean Thailand would let you enter once you disembark the plane.

The airline won't let you board without all the paperwork

Edited by Letseng

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Arrives empty (possibly cargo/repatriation) and leaves with passengers.  Try booking it for August, you cant.  You can for September as they are gambling on restrictions being lifted.  You can book KE652 back to Seoul right now if you want.

Ok. I really do appreciate your info but as you know it’s quite confusing with Sept 20 days away. My friend has the opportunity to change flight for free ( after I spoke with a supervisor in USA and that was quite an effort ) or get a voucher or a FULL refund.  Decided for the full refund and will consider flights again after 9/1. The reason I’m texting about refunds is that often the first person you speak with is either told not to give refunds or credits etc or who knows. But after a couple attempts I got a supervisor and got the best thing for now which Is A refund ( yes 4-7 weeks !) but I have receipt for refund and I know the supervisors name.  Even for a slight ticket change they wanted 4750 baht! It’s a business class tic and I said no way I want a supervisor!  I just read a lot of people getting screwed and maybe persistence will help them. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Seik said:

Leaving is easy for sure and many countries including USA let most Asian countries in. No covid test etc. 

I send an email to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC requesting if they would issue a Certificate of Entry for Elite Card holders:

Hi, Is it possible to get a COE if a Thailand Elite Visa holder applies for entry and has all the correct documentation? I have read online it is acceptable but the Consulate Website says no.

Thank You.

Sorry, we don't. 

Currently, the following types of visas are NOT permitted to enter Thailand: Tourists visa holders (TR), Transit passengers (TS), Sports visa holders (S), Monks and other religious visa holders (R), Retirement visa holders (O-A/O-X), Thailand Privilege Card holders (Elite card), Volunteers (O), and non-formal students visa holders (such as language schools, diving schools, boxing schools).  
https://thaiembdc.org/visas/  

boohoo

6 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So are you saying Korean Air flight 651 from Seoul to BKK which landed yesterday on time and is scheduled to land today on time and goes about 5x a week is only a repatriation flight?  I’m very confused by your post.

I'm saying that the embassy has contracted Korean Air to operate their "regular" LAX - ICN and ICN - BKK as repatriation flights on the certain dates of this month.

KE18 LAX - ICN flies as a repatriation flight on Aug 08, Aug 19, Aug 27, Aug 31.

It only flies cargo in on any other day.

You can buy seats on those flights after the embassy/consulate approves your application and only through a designated travel agency.

Edited by unheard

correction:

on any other day it operates as a regular Korean Air flight in accordance with the current Korea entry policy.

It might carry passengers or just cargo, but certainly doesn't fly anyone that has been allowed to enter into Thailand.

Plan your trip for 2021.

Until there is widespread distribution of a vaccine, normal intl. travel isn't going to happen.

October may be the earliest that a vaccine gets selected in the US, widespread innoculations won't happen for at least 6-months after that.  Air travel won't happen until there is evidence vaccines actually work.

On 8/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, erinsf said:

Thailand is not going to open a International arrival travel until 2021, I read today.

I agree. 

Experts in Thailand try to push the government to shut down the country until the end of next year. It depends on how much the government believes in them. But as far as I can see, the government is listening to them quite a bit.