Laptop repair - is this expensive?

Batty

On 8/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the comments here are amazing.

If one of the main parts (mainboard or screen) in a notebook needs to be replaced then almost any shop will recommend a new notebook. Because if that thing is two years old then the replacement cost is probably more than 60% of a new notebook.

It's like a total write off car. It can be repaired but it often does not make much sense.

2 years is old? My laptop is about 6 years old I just had replaced the hard drive which cost me less then 7000 baht.

6 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:
On 8/17/2020 at 12:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the comments here are amazing.

If one of the main parts (mainboard or screen) in a notebook needs to be replaced then almost any shop will recommend a new notebook. Because if that thing is two years old then the replacement cost is probably more than 60% of a new notebook.

It's like a total write off car. It can be repaired but it often does not make much sense.

2 years is old? My laptop is about 6 years old I just had replaced the hard drive which cost me less then 7000 baht.

The hard drive is one of the few parts which can easily be exchanged in many notebooks. Similar to RAM which can be easily replaced or upgraded in most notebooks. But not in all!

And for the hard disks there are a few physical standard sizes and many different models which will all fit and work. I can now easily buy a up to date hard disk (or fast SSD) for my 10 year old notebook.

The mainboard is something completely different. The mainboard is the one big board (the main board) where everything else is connected to. And it contains most of the functionality. And in notebooks it has to be exactly the same mainboard from that manufacturer, model, and maybe revision. No new (this year) mainboard will fit in an old notebook.

16 hours ago, Batty said:

Thanks everyone for the replies - much appreciated.  I took it to a third shop who asked to leave it with them for a few days.  He opened the laptop and showed me the mainboard, pointing to a small black chip in the middle - no idea at all what this chip is or why he singled it out, but he seems to think if this chip can be replaced/repaired, we are good to go for 1800 baht and the laptop will work.  If it cant be repaired/replaced, the whole motherboard needs swapping out for around 10,000 Baht.  The CPU is actually part of the main board on this laptop he said.  His opinion is much the same as you guys really, he thinks if it needs a new main board its probably better just to bite the bullet and fork out for a new laptop.  he dosent sell laptops, so has no motivation to say that I guess.  

I guess I will just go ahead and buy a new laptop if it cant be fixed.  Even if I do repair it, its only worth doing if I want to keep it for another 2 or 3 years and by that time it will be a 6 year old laptop.  

Ill see what he says.  As another poster suggested, I have lined up the HP X360 fo 24K.  Seems like a cracking machine so i will just go ahead and buy one, if we cant get the current laptop sorted for 1800 baht.

Thanks again for all your advice, much appreciated!

My advice to you would be to stop buying consumer rubbish that is designed to look good, but totally unsuitable for when it comes to maintenance and longevity. A two to three year old laptop that you may need to scrap? That is terrible.

Now you plan to do exactly the same thing again.

Take out the Lenovo extended warranty, since it is altogether likely that you may need it.

I never buy a laptop just because it looks good. I look at how easy it is to maintain etc.

That why a few here recommend ex business machines. Designed for longevity and quick maintenance. Not just shiny bells and whistles.

On 8/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

The hard drive is one of the few parts which can easily be exchanged in many notebooks. Similar to RAM which can be easily replaced or upgraded in most notebooks. But not in all!

When I am away for longer periods of time, I take a wireless mouse and keyboard along with my laptop.  The laptop's keyboard and mouse pad are durable, but it can be a big job to replace them, and probably something I can't do.  HDD and RAM no problems.  

If I wear out the disposable mouse and keyboard, I just buy new ones.  It keeps the onboard keyboard and mouse pad in new condition, which extends the life of the laptop, before any major repairs have to be done. 

I'll still use the laptop's mouse pad and keyboard if I go to a cafe, but when the laptop is acting like a desktop, or for longer sessions, I use the disposable hardware.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

When I am away for longer periods of time, I take a wireless mouse and keyboard along with my laptop.  The laptop's keyboard and mouse pad are durable, but it can be a big job to replace them, and probably something I can't do.  HDD and RAM no problems.  

If I wear out the disposable mouse and keyboard, I just buy new ones.  It keeps the onboard keyboard and mouse pad in new condition, which extends the life of the laptop, before any major repairs have to be done. 

I'll still use the laptop's mouse pad and keyboard if I go to a cafe, but when the laptop is acting like a desktop, or for longer sessions, I use the disposable hardware.    

Sounds like a good idea.

I think for many notebooks the keyboard and trackpad are replicable. But they definitely cost a lot more than external devices.

Personally I think if people use notebooks often in the same location (home, office) external mouse, keyboard and monitor just make them easier to use. And they are cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 12:03 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds like a good idea.

I think for many notebooks the keyboard and trackpad are replicable. But they definitely cost a lot more than external devices.

Personally I think if people use notebooks often in the same location (home, office) external mouse, keyboard and monitor just make them easier to use. And they are cheap.

With a HDMI cable, you can use your TV as a monitor and sit back on the lounge with the wireless mouse and keyboard.  

On 8/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, dddave said:

The OP does not say where he is located but if handy to Bangkok, I'd suggest consulting with PRO-CORNER COMPUTER REPAIR, 3rd floor of Fortune Tower.  Totally reliable and above board, excellent English spoken, closed Sundays.  I have been recommending this shop for years and have never gotten any negative feedback.

Yes, I have also used this shop, excellent service. But there are days other than Sundays I have seen this shop closed, I wish I had asked for a card.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, Henryford said:

Your first mistake was buying Chinese <deleted>. Just scrap it and buy a decent laptop.

Yes, I have three Lenovas, a laptop, all in one desktop, and a tablet, and all have been problematic,  would never buy Lenovo again.

Even when I took the laptop in for repair under the warranty to the main dealer at Fortune Town, I was told no one would be available to look at it for five days.

Another reason to never buy Lenovo.