Motorbiking Question

WaterlessFish

I just moved to Chiang Mai about six weeks ago and due to a problem at the border on my first Visa run I have to go back before my 60 days is up. The first time I took the bus which was nice, comfortable and had plenty of legroom. Not a bad way to do the trip.

However, I've been wondering about travelling to Mae Sai by motorbike for the past few weeks. Trouble is I don't know much about bikes. How far could you travel on a 100cc bike on a full tank of petrol? I know the speed wouldn't be very fast either so that may be another drawback to biking it up there. I'm not exactly sure how fast the buses up to Mae Sai travel, or how many kilometers it is up to the border from Chiang Mai.

Does anyone here have the answers to these questions? Am I naive to even consider this on a smaller motorbike? Or would I need a 200cc bike or larger to even make the trip?

I just moved to Chiang Mai about six weeks ago and due to a problem at the border on my first Visa run I have to go back before my 60 days is up. The first time I took the bus which was nice, comfortable and had plenty of legroom. Not a bad way to do the trip.

However, I've been wondering about travelling to Mae Sai by motorbike for the past few weeks. Trouble is I don't know much about bikes. How far could you travel on a 100cc bike on a full tank of petrol? I know the speed wouldn't be very fast either so that may be another drawback to biking it up there. I'm not exactly sure how fast the buses up to Mae Sai travel, or how many kilometers it is up to the border from Chiang Mai.

Does anyone here have the answers to these questions? Am I naive to even consider this on a smaller motorbike? Or would I need a 200cc bike or larger to even make the trip?

Welcome to Chiang Mai and the joys of border runs. In the past when I use to have to do them every 28 days I did it quite frequently on my CBR150 which handled the trip without any problems but to be blunt it is a boring and tedious trip unless you rent a 400-900cc bike in which case it can be a lot of fun.

Assuming you will be here for the maximum of 3 months under the current immigration rules then you are probably better and safer doing it on the bus. There are several options including the VLine (best option in my opinion), the standard bus (ok). Not sure of the situation now but there were several "border run" minibus operators going up and back.

The 100cc is great around town but on the open road the lack of power and handling make them a bit of a risk. There are a couple of very steep bits and the little bike will seriously struggle. That said I know one guy who used to do it on his 100cc Wave every month for about 5 years - but he was English so eccentric is a kind way of explaining it :o

Hope this helps

CB

Unless you are experienced to a high degree with riding a motorcycle in Thailand, I would recommend you take the bus.

Also, have you considered how miserable a ride it would be in this heat? I know of people who have been incapacitated with heat stroke, etc. in these conditions on a long ride- count on stopping every 50 k to drink a liter of water. It will take you a lot longer riding.

Just my 2 satangs worth. :o

Edited by mcgriffith

I did it twice on my CBR150; left at 8 am and returned at 3:30pm, I think. But I lost a glove at a petrol stop, and got badly sunburned on that hand. Very dangerous if you don't know how. In fact, I lost my humerus on such a 'visa run' - never made it 2 km past Mae Tang. As the other men said, it's not for the fainthearted.

I think the Welshman still rents CBR150's, na?

Hey PeaceBlondie- you have a CBR 150 ?

As does Crow Boy (Repsol model)

Jon (owner of Jonnadda Guesthouse)

Gus (owner of Down Under on NMNHMN)

and myriad other friends.

What say we start a CBR 150 club for rides, etc.?

Mine:

post-23786-1177510464_thumb.jpg

:o

I would do a Mae Sai trip on my Honda Dream in cooler weather, but not as an up-and-back within a single day. It would have to be an overnight stay somewhere up in Chiang Rai. I've never ridden to Mae Sai, but I routinely ride that distance or further on a weekend day during cooler weather. My Dream gets about 125 km to 150 km on a tank of petrol. Mae Sai is about 240 km from Chiang Mai (give-or-take).

Thanks guys.

I'm going to catch the bus up there this weekend. Got a ticket from the Green Bus Company (I think that's the name) and they were pretty good last time around.

The reason I wanted to try out the ride was that I'd like to travel around the country a bit on weekends and such. Just wanted to know the specs for how well a 100cc would handle on the open roads. In the city I've had no trouble (even considering the traffic) but I know conditions on the highways would be different. The traffic is a lot faster on the highways for one, right?

I'll grab some more practice with a bike before I take it out of Chiang Mai. I was curious now and this forum was the best place I know of to ask farang bikies what the deal is. I'm stil yet to grow the long beard and the beergut though :o

the bus is the best option...also bare in mind, we are near approaching the time of year when we get sudden rain storms.You do not want to be on the highway,riding a bike on hot dry roads when a torrential rain bursts....slick oily roads, slim wheels, hair-pin bends.Not a good recipe buddy

mcgriffith, your model looks much newer than my 2003 standard model, but similar paint scheme of red, black, and white, without my silver and yellow. I opted not to get the 2003 Repsol because its colors clashed worse. I'm thinking of repainting the road rash from the Mae Tang crash and ending up with mostly red and black.

Other than the 2004 changes to the mirror stalks, the rear grab bar, and the ignition key, the main changes since 2002 seem to be 2 or 3 paint jobs per year. Maybe I'll get phosphorescent/florescent brightest pink! Still waiting for a CBR175RRR.

If we had an owners' club, we'd be comparing odometer readings (I'm near 44,000), paint jobs, and add-ons. I've added about 5 kilos of stomach paunch!

WaterLessFish: the typical Honda Wave or Dream 100 is designed to putt around town with two passengers and several plastic bags hanging off the mirror stalks, at 40kph. However, they're not designed for mountain riding, sudden stops or swerves, 130 kph, etc.

Peronally i had ride my Honda dream which is a old 100 cc or 110 cc bike . to many places .

The problem with a old bike is after about 2 hour of non stop riding the engine seem to lose soem of it power , especially when you are heading mae sai .

there is some part with high slope and you can only make it with 2nd ger or even first gear .

there is no problem topping up Fuel .

usually Cosmo is the last station .But their petrol is kinda doggy . and is run by the old meter which is not digital .

I suggest you top uo every 90 km - 120 km or so . to avoid running out of fuel .

I had alway done the trip on Honda wave R which is a good bike .

the sun is very hot nice . so protect yourself .

face mask . clothes to cover yourself up ..

like a ninja .

The sun can really burn you

i was char like a panda on one o my trip ..

i got a funny sun burn photo some where if i found it i post it up whahah

change your engine oil when yiou reach any distance more then 300 - 400 KM .

stop about every 60-90 min to rest drink alot of water .

you will come across a few police check point , just show them your driver licence .

good luck if you need more info let me know i will give you more info

Yes the oil change is 1000- 1500 km . or 3 month which ever come first .

But , travelling long distance on small cc bike , is alway advice to do the oil change . to keep the engine at good performance - is only 80 baht for a oil change .

trust me is worth the cost - then a engine break down . in the middle of no where .

i only do one oil change . for every trip i make .

meaning . i will go with the exisiting engine oil and change it when i reach where ever places between 300-500 km ..

this way you can be sure .

long distance trip is alway a risk .

what you do is to narrow down the possible problem . like checking your wheel and tire , brake pad , headlight .

the road back from maesai can be really dark .. i had travel before with a broken headlight . in almost total darkness. with only small side light on my honda dream ..

i had also travel long distance . when i got in the rain totlalt wet and then after riding for 1 hour got dry again and then got wet again from more rain ..

Insect will be very painful on your face , and body .. when you travel at 100km a flying butterfly or grasshopper can really do some damage on you .

there was ocne when i travel up to mae sai some kinda bug hit me right on one of my eyes , forget which eyes ,.

and tears start come out non stop and my eyes is toally red . i had to ride with one eyes for almost 50 km before i reach a place for eyes wash ,

so now sometime i carry eyes wash on my backpack when i travel long distance .

wear simple protective gear like glove , prefer shoe or boots , long pants , prefer jean or cotton . no bicycle slack ,

a jacket would be good . but now thailand is so hot that you will be force to stop and rest .

make sure your horn is working .

if large truck or transport wagon passes you . slow down .. and keep to the side , stop if you must ..

you don't want to be speeding beside them cos you will be SUCK IN .. truist me when i say this . SUCK IN is the word to use .

When going down hill don't be too happy enjoying the down hill ride .. watch out for bread size pot hole . which is slight large then the diameter of the tire ..

there can really kill you or make you suffer .

i had change my honda dream tire to the largest i can find . i use IRC tire which is large then more tire .

go slow on the bend horn if you must if you think is a blind spot .

there is alot of crazy lane over taking in the mountian . and alot of thai driver think there are pro drift driver when there hit the mountian . i had seen so many cars accident that can be avoided with simple self safety .

so be SAFE . is ok to be SLOW >

watch out for falling ROCK . ( well i got one case of falling rock when i was riding to MAESOT .

sometime from riding too long i get bored .. so i like to count ROAD KILL .

average 3 road kill per trip .

but i once counted 14 when i ride down toward bangkok .

usually cats and dogs , but i spotted some snake and a cow once . oh yeh a wild boar too

the ride along change seng is very nice

do the basic check before you leave . and my suggestion is rent a BIKE .

about 150 - 200 baht a day .

when yo have problem call the rental and ask for help .

at least someone would come for you . cos there wanna save their bike .

but so far i had not much problem riding long distance .

is really fun and is a test of will also .

I just drove down to maesai last month . nowaday i ride less .

cos i think my old honda dream is getting really old for such trip .

so when i do get the mood i will rent a bike and go down .

you can get a face mask make of cotton . for about 60 baht .

it help alot . bring one of those cheap plastic rian coat which is selling for 20 baht ( 2 set )

sun cream , water , energy drink . in singapore you can get a Air tube use for flat tire . or you can try to bring along one of those light weight biker tube pump -

when you do get a flat - ( strong fabric masking tape - a small tube of silcon .( 20g -50 g will do )

can give you short distance travel at low speed of about 20km /hour . up to 20 km . beofr eyou find a place to fix your flat .

OK .. you wanna be using the most common bike . cos you don't wanna get stuck some where without parts .

so the honda collection of 100-200 cc bike you seen most on the street is a better choice then a nice sport bike which you can't even find a spare tire if you get in trouble .

anyway - if you need help or have question om me

Mine:

I remember the days when there were three CB150 in Chiang Mai - I had the Repsol, and there was a red on and another Repsol. Now they are like bums - every ars_hole wants one :D

The CBR150 bike group sounds like a good idea - I will put up a thread in the Motoring Section - see ya'all there

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Mine:

I remember the days when there were three CB150 in Chiang Mai - I had the Repsol, and there was a red on and another Repsol. Now they are like bums - every ars_hole wants one :D

The CBR150 bike group sounds like a good idea - I will put up a thread in the Motoring Section - see ya'all there

CB

Ok as per the above I have opened a thread in the motoring forum CBR150

Hope to see you there

CB

Now they are like bums - every ars_hole wants one :o

Assume you meant "has one"?

Not at all - those of us who have one already are fine :D It was the same when I had Ducatis and Harleys - they became popular and that became the popular saying.

we all know what "assume" means now don't we? Hmmmmmm

CB

I know that Jim has one, he was teaching in Lampun but is back in town now. I will try to contact him

GT from New Zealand has one, it is in storage at the moment while he is back trying to pay for his next trip.

My exgirl has one - bought both on the same day which ruined their display at Nihon Panich. Not sure if it would be a good idea to bring her along :o

I know there is another CB150 Repsol in town. It is owned by a Thai guy. I was having a late night meal at Sompet market shortly after I bought the bike and a guy jumped on it. I quickly walked over ready to beat him to death and suggested he use my key. He looked at me not understanding and then my exgirlfriend caught up. They spoke and it turned out his bike was parked 10 feet away - we didn't realise there was another in town the same. Everytime I saw him in town we used to wave to eachother but didn't have any other contact. Last time I saw his bike was at the bike park in Kad San Keow and there were four of us in a row - two Repsols, a Red, and a Blue model.