Jump to content

Vaccine advise


Recommended Posts

Just now, connda said:

Don't forget the Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies shots.  And Covid boosters.  And Dengue shots.  Oh wait - you don't need the Dengue shots as your over the age that they advise to get them.  Yellow Fever.  That should do it. 

Thanks.  I'm not sure if you're be sarcastic or not.  You might be right but I don't think I would go for the rabies shot or yellow fever. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Perhaps because at 70 he is at elevated risk of serious illness/death if he gets COVID.

 

People do still die of COVID and a high percentage of those are people over 65. (Same is true of influenza).

 

If he has never been vaccinated and never before had COVID then he is at particularly high risk. 

 

 

Excellent advise, as always.  I really appreciate your complete and detailed answers.  I recently bought Cigna Intl. insurance with zero deductible and zero co-pay so now I need to contact the Pattaya Bangkok Hospital and find out exactly what the steps are to get these vaccines done under my 1 million USD coverage. I have never had any insurance here before so I'm not familiar with the claims procedures.  They are not so close to me so I hope they can advise me over the phone But I am guessing they might just tell me to come in first to confirm my coverage ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, how241 said:

I want to get current on all the required vaccines. I am a 70 year old man in good health.   Last year, against the doctors recommendation, I insisted on getting the pneumonia 23  vaccine instead of the #13 thinking it was newer, better, and covered more viruses. I know foolish.  The doctor said to come back in 1 year and get the #13.  Good idea ?   I also want to get the Zoster-shingles vaccine.  It's been 15 years since my last tetanus booster.  I also was considering the flu shot and possible a covid -19 vaccine ???   I had the Hep. A + B in 2009 so I don't know if I need a booster on those ?  I was reading about a RSV vaccine, don't know if it's a good thing.  Also a 'Chikungunya vaccine ??  Generally speaking it is better to get vaccines one at a time or can you safely get 2 on the same day ??  Thanks for any help or info.  Please don't respond if you are an  anti-vax believer. 

You don't expect an honest answer, do you?😂😂😂

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, how241 said:

Excellent advise, as always.  I really appreciate your complete and detailed answers.  I recently bought Cigna Intl. insurance with zero deductible and zero co-pay so now I need to contact the Pattaya Bangkok Hospital and find out exactly what the steps are to get these vaccines done under my 1 million USD coverage. I have never had any insurance here before so I'm not familiar with the claims procedures.  They are not so close to me so I hope they can advise me over the phone But I am guessing they might just tell me to come in first to confirm my coverage ?

Unless you selected the optional " Heath and Wellbeing" coverage in addition to the main plan, (not worth the money IMO compared to self-pay), outpatient vaccinations are not covered. 

 

BPH might nto have all of these vaccines. In particular they may not have the new, updated COVID vaccine and the high dosage flu vaccine. And, their costs will be high (as above, you will likely have to self-pay).

 

Best option to get all is the Mahidol Clinic in Bangkok

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unless you selected the optional " Heath and Wellbeing" coverage in addition to the main plan, (not worth the money IMO compared to self-pay), outpatient vaccinations are not covered. 

I didn't select anything extra but there was an issue with the payment using my Thai debit card and the selling agent said she would give me the 'Health and Wellbeing'  for free....Here is my coverage:  

Your plan includes:

  • Annual benefit limit: USD 1,000,000.00 
  •  
  • WorldWide Excluding USA
  •  
  • Health & Wellbeing
  • Benefits

  • International Health and Wellbeing

Edited by how241
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if it is worth the time and costs(taxis) to go to Bangkok.  I am lazy and not so concerned about costs.  Convenience is #1  for me.   If Pattaya Bangkok doesn't have the proper vaccines then I have no other choice.  Thanks again for all of your help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Unless you selected the optional " Heath and Wellbeing" coverage in addition to the main plan, (not worth the money IMO compared to self-pay), outpatient vaccinations are not covered. 

 

I hope a routine colonoscopy will be covered.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am doubtful of BPH having all that you need vaccibne-wise but you can ask.

 

Make sure to specify the high dose flu vaccine not regular, and updated COVID vaccine (covering omicron variants)

 

Under International Health & Wellbeing, vaccines are not covered. They would be covered only under the optional outpatient cover.  So you will be paying for all vacciantions yourslef.

 

Re colonoscopy, under the Health & Wellbeing option, it is covered up to $325

 

Suggest you familiarize yourself with coverage details, shown here

https://www.cignaglobal.com/individuals-families/international-health-insurance/global-professionals/optional-benefits

 

Normally for anything other than hospital admission, you pay first then claim reimbursement.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks again for your help and info.  I am definitely getting disappointed by this lack of coverage.  Maybe buying this Insurance was a bad idea and I should just 'self-insure' as I have always had...I thought they would want to cover things that are not costly and their purpose is to keep you healthy.  I just called to hospital to see what the next steps are and the Insurance lady was out to lunch and will be calling me back to explain what is covered.  I am Not liking the sound of this whole thing already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

You don't expect an honest answer, do you?😂😂😂

 

there are more than a few of us that are not able to give our honest answers .   still in the minority , i guess .  

 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Keep your insurance. Should you have a major health event or accident, you'll be glad you did.

Yes, that's why I bought it.  I also liked the idea of not having to show a lot of cash before they will work on you. I don't want to be sick or hurt badly and have to talk about up front payments although my Thai lady could have done this for me.  I could have lowered my premium down 30-40% by taking higher deductibles.  They did offer a inside Thailand only policy which I thought would be great for me.  It was about $4500 UDS yearly, much cheaper BUT  it did Not include a private room so that was an immediate no-go for me.  Also the coverage was 250k/500k, which is probable enough but I really didn't understand what the 2 levels of coverage were.  The shared room was the main reason I didn't go for it.  I don't really plan on traveling so I don't need worldwide coverage. I believe they will only cover me for 21 days in the USA  as I didn't but that extra add-on policy. It's hard to decide what's the right insurance to buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, how241 said:

 I have no exclusions and I didn't have to take any physical exams.  They only asked me a few questions.

I recently applied for a Health Plan. I specifically mentioned two pre-existing conditions. They quoted for the original advertised price, no mention of my pre-existing conditions, or whether they would be excluded or not. I considered this too good to be true. I emailed back reiterating my two pre-existing conditions. The broker said he'd have to ask the company and he'd get back. The answer was that my pre-existing conditions would be excluded. I wasn't happy that he hadn't asked first time around. I didn't proceed with the policy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, how241 said:

I didn't select anything extra but there was an issue with the payment using my Thai debit card and the selling agent said she would give me the 'Health and Wellbeing'  for free.

Now I see why the selling agent gave me this free 'Health and Wellbeing'....It's basically useless and worthless.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

The broker said he'd have to ask the company and he'd get back. 

I didn't use any broker.  I bought my insurance directly from the Cigna website. Very quick and easy to do.  I had an issue because my Krungsri Visa card had a 100,000K  limit...I should have immediately changed the  billing card to Kasikorn which carries a much higher limit but I didn't want to 'rock-the-boat' and let the Krungsri card be the one for payments...Paying in full would have given me a 10%  discount.  To leave things alone, I settled for quarterly payments giving me a 3% discount.  Not such a big deal either way.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

It covers a number of health checkups including colonoscopy.  Annual check up, prostate screening, colonoscopy = about $1,000 right there 

That sounds good as I did want to get a full health check up.  It's been 15+  years.  It looks like they will pay about 11k THB  towards the colonoscopy which is OK, I guess.

The PB hospital had a colonoscopy special running for around 16K,  which is exactly the same price I paid there 10 years ago when I had the last one done. I thought that was a very good price. The special may be over now  The regular price is about 22K, or so.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, how241 said:

I didn't use any broker.  I bought my insurance directly from the Cigna website. Very quick and easy to do. 

I've just obtained a quote myself. It is, as you state, very easy. No questions about pre-existing conditions. Have you received, completed and returned the medical questionnaire they mention?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, how241 said:

Thanks.  I'm not sure if you're be sarcastic or not.  You might be right but I don't think I would go for the rabies shot or yellow fever. 

Most of those are recommended for first time travelers to Thailand.  Regarding Rabies.  If you deal with animals in Thailand I'd recommend the five shot series.  I deal with a lot of animals as I have 9 dogs of my own and take care of temple dogs and strays including cats.  So I stay up to date on my Rabies.  Rabies IS endemic in Thailand.  Nips happen. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, how241 said:

I want to get current on all the required vaccines. I am a 70 year old man in good health.   Last year, against the doctors recommendation, I insisted on getting the pneumonia 23  vaccine instead of the #13 thinking it was newer, better, and covered more viruses. I know foolish.  The doctor said to come back in 1 year and get the #13.  Good idea ?   I also want to get the Zoster-shingles vaccine.  It's been 15 years since my last tetanus booster.  I also was considering the flu shot and possible a covid -19 vaccine ???   I had the Hep. A + B in 2009 so I don't know if I need a booster on those ?  I was reading about a RSV vaccine, don't know if it's a good thing.  Also a 'Chikungunya vaccine ??  Generally speaking it is better to get vaccines one at a time or can you safely get 2 on the same day ??  Thanks for any help or info.  Please don't respond if you are an  anti-vax believer. 

Definitely get the shingles one.I got the three shot rabies after being slightly bitten.

Edited by charleskerins
nb
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.









×
×
  • Create New...