Open letter to the tourism authority and the Thai government

rooster59

On 8/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, Fex Bluse said:

More pleas maybe from the typical poorly educated Farangs that often end up in Thailand, often married to whores, skint and in poor physical and mental health. 

To believe the Thai government is telling them the truth or even capable of doing so is ridiculous. 

I'm sure there's a wife for you here then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long term "tourists" like the person who wrote this letter are not the govt's focus as much as many of your would like it to be. These type of "tourists" are not going to save the tourism industry. Staying in private apartments, eating at local restaurants and drinking 60 baht beers from 7/11 you arnt injecting tourism dollars into the economy. You are essentially no different to a local, actually i would argue the growing upper middle Thai class are contributing way more to the economy than your average long term tourist or retiree. 

The govt is concerned about short stay tourists. The ones that are coming and staying in actual hotels, eating at tourist focused restaurants, going on tours, buying souvenirs and dropping loads amount of money in a short period of time.  

6 hours ago, jayjay2001 said:

I'll tell you why, at least for me.  I have been an expat in Thailand for a total of 10 years.  Because of COVID, the company I work for in Thailand essentially shut down (it relies on foreigners coming into Thailand for its business).  I was furloughed by the company, thus I am not receiving paycheck. Sure, I have savings, but it's not prudent for me to be chewing that up day-by-day waiting and wondering when the borders will re-open, and when they do, if the company I work for will have survived to re-open.  Also wondering if I'll get a call one day from my employer saying they need to terminate me, thus ending my non-O visa (and then being in Thailand without a visa and the mayhem that causes).  I have a good job waiting for me back in the U.S., so I have a flight booked for next Friday to leave Thailand and go back to the U.S.  So, to put it simply: It's a matter of a) having a job, b) $$$, and c) potentially ending up in a bad visa situation here in Thailand.

can you tell us which flight that is , which carrier, the flight itinerary , and where in USA is your final destination .  I can see your point due to the circumstances you face, just curious as I, for one, don't relesh flying on planes, hanging out in airports, both of which are max germ factories for me, and landing/transiting in major american cities which are nearly all covid hotspots.

thanks in advance for your reply and info.

14 hours ago, SteveK said:

This is it in a nutshell. A sensible country with a sensible policy.

Why is it that the Thai immigration is such a humongous pain in the ass?

Because they are so full of themself. It´s the hub of hubs, the center of the universe, remember ?

22 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

can you tell us which flight that is , which carrier, the flight itinerary , and where in USA is your final destination .  I can see your point due to the circumstances you face, just curious as I, for one, don't relesh flying on planes, hanging out in airports, both of which are max germ factories for me, and landing/transiting in major american cities which are nearly all covid hotspots.

thanks in advance for your reply and info.

This week:

--CNX to Don Mueang: Air Asia

2 nights in Bangkok; then:

--Suvarnabhumi airport to BOS: Qatar Airways

--BOS to Final destination (Southeast part of the U.S.)

19 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Ask all those in the tourism industry , hotels , cleaners , taxis , restaurants, bars etc . They might tell you ????

Hot tip ronaldo0:

Read properly before shooting from the hip.

Extend the AMNESTY, not extend the border closure. ????????????

24 minutes ago, jayjay2001 said:

This week:

--CNX to Don Mueang: Air Asia

2 nights in Bangkok; then:

--Suvarnabhumi airport to BOS: Qatar Airways

--BOS to Final destination (Southeast part of the U.S.)

thanks for that info, good luck with the trip and job, I am in the at risk age group so leary of flying.

41 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

thanks for that info, good luck with the trip and job, I am in the at risk age group so leary of flying.

Sure.  You're welcome.  And thanks for the "good luck."  All the best in Thailand, forever how long you are here.

11 hours ago, CLW said:

If you are responsible and adult person, you can do as I suggested...

You're correct, but as I'm saying being responsible in Thailand doesn't happen often.  People come to Thailand and act like there are no rules, that's the issue.