Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered if all the CBR150's had the feature of flashing rear lights when you hit the brakes

Sounds pretty sweet. I wish my CBR had that feature. I will check...but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Which year CBR has these flashing lights?..first I've heard of it.

I took all the fairings off the bike today and traced the wiring. Found a small After-Market Module made by HPL Racing plugged into the harness that connects to the real tail light assembly. Took the module out and plugged the tail light assembly plug into the harness socket and now my CBR150's lights work like original. Mystery solved as the HPL module has some corrosion on it. I think I am going to try to find a new one as I like the feature of having your directionals give additional braking info to following drivers of unknown sobriety. The feature does not turn on if you have your directional signals on. I sure like the design of the bike.... very easy to work on.

LOL FNU....not the case in Thailand acc. to my experience. It's more like FSU (Female Sleeping Unit), FHU (Female Hungry Unit), or mostly FCU (Female Complaining Unit) "Why drive too fast...."

Regards

Moo9

LOL FNU....not the case in Thailand acc. to my experience. It's more like FSU (Female Sleeping Unit), FHU (Female Hungry Unit), or mostly FCU (Female Complaining Unit) "Why drive too fast...."

Regards

Moo9

Hey, those are pretty good! My FNU has an over-speed alarm that seems to trigger at different speeds depending on the day! The power consumption (sum tum) is always high like your FHU! We have had a great time on the CBR travelling around Northern Thailand, and she has directed me to some fantastic places. If only I could disable that over-speed alarm somehow!

I had a FCU once on a trip from central Texas to western Chihuahua. When I got to some twisting pavement out in ranchland, in West Texas, she would tell me to go slower by pounding real hard on my shoulder blades. I traded her in for a younger model, and male....never had a Thai boy complain that I was driving the CBR too fast.

I had a FCU once on a trip from central Texas to western Chihuahua. When I got to some twisting pavement out in ranchland, in West Texas, she would tell me to go slower by pounding real hard on my shoulder blades. I traded her in for a younger model, and male....never had a Thai boy complain that I was driving the CBR too fast.

A tad drastic measure for most PB :o

A tad drastic measure for most PB :o

Well, that drastic measure took about fifteen years....

I would say any Navigation Unit you are happy with is a good one! By the way.....(to get this back onto the CBR150 Owners Club Thread, sorta...)..... stop by the Yamaha shop next to the Central Shopping Center on Huay Gaew Road. They have some brand new 600, 1000, and 1300 CC Yamaha bikes on display now for about a week. They will start to sell and service them regularly. I looked at them and they are beautiful, but they are loaded with electronics and cost.. well, over a half million baht. I was pretty happy about having my humble little CBR150 when I walked away.

They look good and might bring home the bacon but today when I went past they fired up the R6 I noticed the lights were out on one side!

I pointed this out to the goggling tourists (who hadn't noticed i think!) the yamaha dudes didn't like that :o

The R1 is cheap compared to the Triumph Daytona up for sale on Nimmahaem (at the Triumph dealership).

I think they are on next years Xmas list boys :D

Speaking of price, 64K for a new CBR150 with full warranty, dealer support, parts availability, etc., surely beats paying ten times that much for a Triumph, BMW, or Harley with equal standing. Even the Kawasaki 300 or the 250 Ninja start above 130K, do they not? It's fine if you have the cash to spend on what in most instances would then be a toy or a third vehicle, but you can use the CBR150R 24/7/365 if you need to, as your only vehicle in Thailand. And you'll have a good idea of your resale value!

I don't know, exactly, as to percentage per year in their decline in value. However, when you start from 650K, a mere 20% decrease in value would pay for two new CBR150's!

///Added: all right, let me modestly admit that I don't play with big numbers of dollars when it comes to purchasing bikes. I bought lots of non-current year new Japanese bikes at 15% to 35% off list price, and I don't have a spare 650,000 baht to pay for a new toy. This week my 63.5K bike will turn 50,000 kilometers. If I threw it away now it would only have cost me about 1.3 baht per kilometer, and in fact it has a lot of resale value left. Call me "Cheap Charlie with the big grin." :o

I don't know, exactly, as to percentage per year in their decline in value. However, when you start from 650K, a mere 20% decrease in value would pay for two new CBR150's!

///Added: all right, let me modestly admit that I don't play with big numbers of dollars when it comes to purchasing bikes. I bought lots of non-current year new Japanese bikes at 15% to 35% off list price, and I don't have a spare 650,000 baht to pay for a new toy. This week my 63.5K bike will turn 50,000 kilometers. If I threw it away now it would only have cost me about 1.3 baht per kilometer, and in fact it has a lot of resale value left. Call me "Cheap Charlie with the big grin." :o

Happy Cheap Charlie! The Grin-to-dollar ratio is very high on the CBR150 for sure. The CBR150's depreciate too though. My friend found two used CBR's in CM and bought the nicest one. I bought the other one three weeks later after dealing for a better price. Neither of us paid more than 40K baht, and both of these bikes were three years old and had only 5000 KM on the clock. Mine was cheaper in the end by quite a bit as it had a leaky front fork and a few other minor things to fix. That 20% depreciation you mention happens as soon as you leave the dealer's parking lot I think! 1.3 baht per KM is pretty cool!

Congratulations on 50,000 CBR kilometers Peace!

I'm only halfway there, but my grin to dollar ratio is the same. It's just that I live close to where I work, my house.

BTW I have seen a few more CBR's with the front decal removed. Maybe you started a trend?

I hadn't noticed yet, but that's great! I'm from the school of moto styling that doesn't like jazzy graphics on a sports bike. My photo in this thread shows how much cleaner it looks. I'm still considering taking off the 150R decals on the back flanks so that bystanders can think I have a CBRR1000RRR.

///Added: I can't find the foto I think I once posted of my bike without the decals, but originally it looked like canuckamuck's 2003 model that's in post #153 of this thread.

When my CBR hits around 7000RPM the engine makes a buzzing sound that is noticeably different to the sound through all the other RPM ranges. As soon as the revs increase to 8000RPM the higher pitched buzzing disappears. Does anyone have any experience/theories with regard to this issue?

Cheers,

Chris.

If your bike is the same as mine then that sound you hear is a vibration from the fairing. I have a few locations that vibrate at different RPMs. It is annoying but so far I haven't done anything about it.

You can discover where they are by pressing your hand against the fairing when you rev it up. This is best done in neutral on a stand, but sometimes they won't make the noise on the stand.

I will be painting mine eventually, at that point I plan to rubber mount some of the fairing parts.

If it really bugs you just drive faster :o

When my CBR hits around 7000RPM the engine makes a buzzing sound that is noticeably different to the sound through all the other RPM ranges. As soon as the revs increase to 8000RPM the higher pitched buzzing disappears. Does anyone have any experience/theories with regard to this issue?

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

I had two sources of this, the last of which I just discovered yesterday. Problem 1: Clutch cable gets resonant at 6500 RPM and hits the frame or fairing. Tie Wrap it to something.

Problem 2: The passenger foot pegs in the down position with no passenger vibrate like crazy. Very loud. I had to take the bike to an empty lot and run the engine up parked and at 7000 RPM the foot pegs became a blur. Now I set them retracted where there is more spring tension on the pegs.

I am sure there are more sources of things getting resonant as that little 150 CC Engine sends out some pretty strong vibrational energy! Let us know what you find out. Check the foot pegs first.

T_Dog

I won't start a separate thread for this (again), but my carburetor still doesn't want to start cold. We had the whole carb rebuilt in 2006. and now the choke/enriching circuit has stopped working again. Had to walk it to a mechanic when the battery wore out trying to crank an engine that just would not start/run cold. The mechanic did some work, but it starts very poorly now, always, and I doubt the warm season will be much better.

Should I consider one of those larger carbs sold by Asean motors? What's my chances of finding a Chiang Mai mechanic who can install and tune a high performance carb? Crowboy's 2003 model had a similar problem in 2006, but aren't all the CBR150R carbs pretty much the same?

I won't start a separate thread for this (again), but my carburetor still doesn't want to start cold. We had the whole carb rebuilt in 2006. and now the choke/enriching circuit has stopped working again. Had to walk it to a mechanic when the battery wore out trying to crank an engine that just would not start/run cold. The mechanic did some work, but it starts very poorly now, always, and I doubt the warm season will be much better.

Should I consider one of those larger carbs sold by Asean motors? What's my chances of finding a Chiang Mai mechanic who can install and tune a high performance carb? Crowboy's 2003 model had a similar problem in 2006, but aren't all the CBR150R carbs pretty much the same?

Get an oil with a winter rating of 10, that will help in cool season. Beyond that, a new carb even the same style would probably change your situation. I am interested in hearing what carbs are available for the CBR, although it would be pointless for power gain until the air intake and the exhaust have been increased. They already hold you back with your stock carb.

Jim: What is your opinion of the air filter? Can you feel the increase in power? a lot? a little?

I will get one when I get to Bangkok.

I think once you exchange the exhaust you will realize more benefit from the air filter because then all that extra air will have somewhere to go.

I am not sure about the carb though. My next step after exhaust would be the CDI. After that you should be reaching the logical potential of the bike unless you begin altering gear ratios or sprockets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I am not a mechanic.

In fact I think your top speed will not increase much because the redline is still where it always was. You will simply go faster sooner. But I'm all for that.

Don't worry, I am ready for the abuse!

As some of you on the TV-CNX, I have been looking for a bike. Originally thought I wanted a Tiger Boxer 200, but none available. And also no parts available if you need them.

People have been suggesting (strongly!) CBR 150. I didn't want to ride 'cafe' postion, but thought I should try the CBR (great manufacturer. great reviews, great price, ok displacement, legal, etc)

Rented one today and zipped up to Doi Suthep and beyond.

The CBR turned out to be EXACTLY what I expected. A perfect bike. But I don't want it...

I want to sit upright.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION - can I modify a CBR to sit upright?

Can I turn a CBR150 into a "CB" style? Normal upright riding position, etc

I see that the gear shift might be easy - just remove the linkage and move the pedal right onto the shift shaft - add a foot pedal bracket. The rear brake are hydraulic, so a custom bracket for that...

Bars? I dunno. I do see that Thailand has a lot of modified big bikes with 'up-bars' where there used to be 'down-bars'

And more comfortable seats (different padding).

Ready for any suggestions (maybe not ANY suggestions, but most of them...)

AND, if I showed up at a CBR meet with that monstrosity, could I come along?

Cheers, WJ

p.s. - I am not an assh.le

p.p.s. - Oh wait a minute - maybe I am!

Maybe I'm the opposite of limp-wristed. :o The bars on the CBR150 don't bother me, but then I'm only 5'9.5" with fairly short arms and legs. Only on one bike did I get higher handlebars (a 1982 Yamaha Seca 400 sportbike). But if you've already tried the stock bars, and can't stand it, okay. Three times since I got this 150 I've lost the use of my right hand and right arm, but we keep adapting. If you're long legged, you could increase the seat height several inches, but that would make the long reach worse. Lowering the front footpegs would make it too easy to scrape your sandals/boots when you lean way over (and it's not like you're scraping the pegs; I just have big sandals).

Let me find those replacement carbs at Asean Motors. http://www.aseanmoto.com/main.html They list two 'racing carbs,' a Keihin and a Mikuni, both 28 mm. Picture, but you have to send an email to get the price.

Thanks PB,

No, I'm 5'6", and after doing another 60k just now on the bike, I still don't want it - sigh.

My GF also did not enjoy her riding position...

The bike is a rental (the shop assured me it was a 5-speed!!!), but in pretty good shape.

Did 130 easily, and when I put my head down (and closed my eyes), crept to 141 - no more. LIES! I don't believe the 141 was 141... but fast enough anyways.

I would love a Honda 250 twin, and saw one yesterday for 50k with a plate. Only problem? It was a 1960...

I did the CM - Mae Sai run a couple of times on my Wave 125 a few years ago - 520k return same day - always under 4 hours one way - once 3 hrs 20 min - cruised full out all the way - 70k up hills, 115 flat, and hit 130 down a couple of times. Great bike - I wish they made a 200 or a 250!

As for the CBR I can ride downbars just fine - and love the feeling, sure. It's a great bike.

Just don't like sitting like that all the time...

Edited by wjmark

PB,

I would be wary of an aftermarket carb unless you can drive a bike that already has one. The reason I say this is that I have put aftermarket carbs on a Mitsubishi Truck and a Honda 750F motorcycle. Both conversions had higher acceleration after the change, but drive-ability was sacrified. The Holley-Weber I put in my truck gave the truck more power, but at low manifold pressures (like cruising down the highway) the mixture was never right. My 750F suffered from not having enough accelerator pump volume when you twisted the throttle at mid-ranges. I did a lot of tweaking on both of these conversions and you have to be prepared to do that if you put in a different carb. I think the original manufacturers do a lot of empirical work to get the carbs to match up well with the engines, and it's likely you will have to do the same. For your problem, try a different shop to rebuild the carb, or you might consider getting a replacement carb from Honda. But if you want more acceleration, the aftermarket carb might be the way to go. Just remember that it will likely behave differently than the original.