Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid 64,500 total, including one year insurance, registration. I only wish I had paid for full coverage insurance so that when I wrecked it six weeks later I would have collected more than my medical expenses. This time we did not try to get cheap jackets, bad helmets, etc. The inflation of the last five years is not reflected in CBR150 prices.

I am just having a hard time imagining a 'big navy seal' on a dinky scoot tho :o

LOL nothing is what it seems, I'm actually a little thai hidden in a big navy seal's suit stolen from the US army u see ? :D

Thnx yeh I considered the sonic and good u mention the raider, yet dunno, the CBR feels more stable, especially since u got the tank between your legs. It's something I miss on the sonic (and it's just a bit too small) and is indeed something I want now since I will most likely be doing much more dangerous bangkok driving in the near future.

I agree the CBR feels stable.. But also would say that stability also means its less 'whippy'.. Sonics and raiders have a way of really being mobile in tight spaces.. Think of cutting down a lane and seeing its blocked and want to cross through traffic, somehow the soic / raider can slot through between parked cars to change lanes much tighter. I dont know if thats really a plus or minus, would depend on your roads / traffic and driving style.. I do have a minor soft spot for the raider tho.

Also as a large farang.. Even though the sonic is probably smaller than the CBR, the CBR pitches me over the bars where the sonic / raider lets me sit 'on top' of it in an upright manner.. Its really hard to explain exactly why but I dont feel cramped on those as much as I would suspect..

Then of course theres the more scootery 135 sparks and X1 etc.. Tho thats a longer way from the CBR perhaps.

Interesting you mention that. I'm pretty tall myself 6ft 5 about and I was thinking about buying a CBR150. Don't know sure yet but I've tried a sonic and found that one a little bit too small. Good fun riding it anyways but I felt really cramped up on the bike. Anyone as tall as I am and riding a CBR150 at the moment? The problem I have is long legs. Thought about getting myself to the local surgeon to have them resized as there is not a single (affordable) car here in thailand where I fit in (I know, I'm a university teacher and that doesn't pay that well). My wife owns a soluna and every time we go on a trip I have to be surgically removed from the car. Same for the sh**** bike I'm driving now... anyone ever heard of a Harde venus? yeah I know it sounds like a bad X rated movie but they're Lao made bikes based on a 10 year old honda frame. No spare parts or whatsoever. I can get a big bike in Nakhon Sawan where I live but the problem is that they often don't have the green book. Besides that, they're too small for long trips. I need the bike as I'm doing some teaching here and there around and outside the city and I don't want to use my overheating oil gulping Harde all the time as it doesn't get me far.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm 6'1" with long legs - strangely enough I seem to fit in comfortably which did surprise me. I find the seat a bit of a killer though - 45mins and my butt is begging!

The seat height is the same as my previous bike XJ600 so that doesn't surprise me, however, it seems to me that the seat is a little bit small....

Does anyone know a place near Nakhon Sawan where they sell the CBR150 and actually have them in stock? I looked around but couldn't find anything here.

Thanks!

CBR150R and Phantom 200 new models are only stocked by large dealers. Here, that means a nearly free-standing showroom with lots of displays, and five to 25 proper service bays for trained mechanics in uniform, separate parts dept. etc. In theory any tiny dealership with 2 Dreams and a Wave could order them, but I stick to the big dealerships, with trained mechanics.

Where are the large dealers here in Bangkok (the physical locations), I would like to look at both a CBR150 and a Phantom and if I liked either one, to buy and leave with one without having to order and wait. I need something to ride ASAP.

Thanks,

Nhscotsman

Edited by Nhscotsman

Hi,

As a follow up to my above statement. I went to a local Honda dealer near where I live tonight and the girl there told me that getting either a CBR150 or a Honda Phantom is impossible and that you can only get them if you import them in personally. Personally I think she was giving this line of nonsense so she could sell the Yamaha Nouvo and Honda Air-Blade I also inquired about, but I figured if I asked on here, you would be able to tell me for sure if I could get one of the two bigger bikes here in Bangkok. I am not willing to import a bike and if I had too, I would just buy the Yamaha Nouvo and be happy with it, but if she was just trying to save a sale by telling me this story, then I will look around town until I find one. I only want a new one and a couple of you have suggested I buy used, but I have bought used back in the United States and have always had nothing but trouble with other peoples motorbikes.

Thanks for the advice and information.

Nhscotsman

Hi,

As a follow up to my above statement. I went to a local Honda dealer near where I live tonight and the girl there told me that getting either a CBR150 or a Honda Phantom is impossible and that you can only get them if you import them in personally. Personally I think she was giving this line of nonsense so she could sell the Yamaha Nouvo and Honda Air-Blade I also inquired about, but I figured if I asked on here, you would be able to tell me for sure if I could get one of the two bigger bikes here in Bangkok. I am not willing to import a bike and if I had too, I would just buy the Yamaha Nouvo and be happy with it, but if she was just trying to save a sale by telling me this story, then I will look around town until I find one. I only want a new one and a couple of you have suggested I buy used, but I have bought used back in the United States and have always had nothing but trouble with other peoples motorbikes.

Nhscotsman

honda dealers don't normally stock cbr's or phantoms. but if you really want to have one, pay the dealer some deposit and ask them to order from factory. they will be glad to sell you.delivery ordering in bangkok area will take less then a week. ask the dealer to check with honda factory on delivery time.

Interesting you mention that. I'm pretty tall myself 6ft 5 about and I was thinking about buying a CBR150. Don't know sure yet but I've tried a sonic and found that one a little bit too small. Good fun riding it anyways but I felt really cramped up on the bike. Anyone as tall as I am and riding a CBR150 at the moment? The problem I have is long legs. Thought about getting myself to the local surgeon to have them resized as there is not a single (affordable) car here in thailand where I fit in (I know, I'm a university teacher and that doesn't pay that well). My wife owns a soluna and every time we go on a trip I have to be surgically removed from the car. Same for the sh**** bike I'm driving now... anyone ever heard of a Harde venus? yeah I know it sounds like a bad X rated movie but they're Lao made bikes based on a 10 year old honda frame. No spare parts or whatsoever. I can get a big bike in Nakhon Sawan where I live but the problem is that they often don't have the green book. Besides that, they're too small for long trips. I need the bike as I'm doing some teaching here and there around and outside the city and I don't want to use my overheating oil gulping Harde all the time as it doesn't get me far.

Hey Fritz. Off topic but if I were as tall as you I would consider moving the seat rails back a few inches in the Toyota. Unless both of you drive it & then it could get interesting.

Hey Fritz. Off topic but if I were as tall as you I would consider moving the seat rails back a few inches in the Toyota. Unless both of you drive it & then it could get interesting.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've been thinking about that but my wife drives to school everyday in Takhli which is about 100 km south of us. So unfortunately I'm not the only one. However, my wife is about 5' 6". We went to the Toyota dealer here in Nakhon sawan and asked about it. They were more than willingly to help us out by moving the seat rails back, but there is a nasty cross beam welded in the frame and that's kind of getting in the way. That means the chair will rise an inch or 2 in height as well. If we did that, my knees would get stuck under the wheel as well. Doesn't leave much space above my head either.

More off topic: I don't fit into a Dmax or vigo either.

On topic: I also had a look at a phantom 200 just, it was the only one they had. Nice seat, upper legs are in a 90 degree angle with my lower legs and it looks like a comfy ride. But I don't know much about the performance. Although I look like a trustworthy Ajarn :o , the dealership didn't let me take out for a spin.

So my question for now is, how can I test ride a CBR150 without having to kick a Thai guy from his bike at the traffic lights and borrow it for a minute. Of course I will give it back afterwards.

I asked the dealership here and they would only order it for me if I would buy it as well.

Best, and thanks

Fritz

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've been thinking about that but my wife drives to school everyday in Takhli which is about 100 km south of us. So unfortunately I'm not the only one. However, my wife is about 5' 6". We went to the Toyota dealer here in Nakhon sawan and asked about it. They were more than willingly to help us out by moving the seat rails back, but there is a nasty cross beam welded in the frame and that's kind of getting in the way. That means the chair will rise an inch or 2 in height as well. If we did that, my knees would get stuck under the wheel as well. Doesn't leave much space above my head either.

More off topic: I don't fit into a Dmax or vigo either.

On topic: I also had a look at a phantom 200 just, it was the only one they had. Nice seat, upper legs are in a 90 degree angle with my lower legs and it looks like a comfy ride. But I don't know much about the performance. Although I look like a trustworthy Ajarn :o , the dealership didn't let me take out for a spin.

So my question for now is, how can I test ride a CBR150 without having to kick a Thai guy from his bike at the traffic lights and borrow it for a minute. Of course I will give it back afterwards.

I asked the dealership here and they would only order it for me if I would buy it as well.

Best, and thanks

Fritz

It's too bad that you didn't start this thread back in July.....I was home in Nakhon Sawan at the time and would have been more than glad to let you ride my CBR 150; now you'll have to wait until November if you wanted a test drive on mine. Great little pocket bike.

As mentioned

!) The dealership don't have "demonstrators" & you can imagine they aren't keen on you taking thier brand new bike out for a spin.

2) the gentleman told you right. You'll have to find a second hand dealer or finance company to do a test ride on both the bikes. Too bad you're not in Bangkok. I know a place that sell new & 2nd hand.

Just purely as a matter of interest here - I changed the 4yr old battery on mine yesterday at the main dealer (Mityon) and was charged B1080. Does this seem a bit excessive to you? I have a friend with a Honda car and he reckons it would be about right for a battery of that size, especially coming from the dealer's workshop.

Can anyone add to this?

Flash:I just met a guy with a blond pony tail who says he is Peace blondie.I thought he was older.Anyway, he says he got his black 2008 cbr150 out of the police shop and they are rebuilding it.Is this news?

Excellent news.....and here's a picture of him (I'm assuming) that may help you confirm the man's identity.

photo-12516.jpg

BTW, I love those hot fuscia (correct?) coloured knobs on your microwave P.B.

Hi,

Nhscotsman

honda dealers don't normally stock cbr's or phantoms. but if you really want to have one, pay the dealer some deposit and ask them to order from factory. they will be glad to sell you.delivery ordering in bangkok area will take less then a week. ask the dealer to check with honda factory on delivery time.

Hi,

Your comments yesterday are pretty much what I was thinking too, but for an update in the search for a motorbike/motorcycle the salesmen of Thailand still cease to amaze me. In the United States, if I went to one dealer asking about a particular model, I would have 10 dealers calling me, BEGGING ME to come to their dealerships see what they have. If I wasn’t mobile, you would have dealers offering to bring me to the dealerships. Here, I have cash (no financing at all) to buy TODAY and I can't even get a dealer to get off his duff to meet with me. UNBELIEVEABLE!! I truly love living in Thailand and have no desire or intentions of ever moving back to the United States,( my wife wouldn’t leave anyway…haha), but some salesmen here, be it Tesco Lotus or the local Honda dealer still cease to amaze me.

As for yesterdays experience, I have a teacher friend that has dealt with a particular dealer here in Bangkok and he suggested I contact him regarding a new Phantom. I had my wife call the man because his English is limited and she explained I was looking to buy a new red Phantom as soon as possible and that if possible, I would like to see a new 2008 model. The man said what the price was for it and that he didn’t have one for me to see and that red wasn’t available this year, but that he did say he has a friend that had a black one but he “wasn’t” willing to show me unless I ordered it first. At first I thought my wife misunderstood him and she questioned him on his last statement and she had heard him right. I told her to forget it, I was so angry that if I had seen the guy, I would have been blatting off at him (he probably wouldn’t have understood, but I would have felt better…haha). So I am still on the search for the mysterious Phantom motorcycle…haha

The comments you have all made are enjoyable though and I appreciate the time oyu have taken to add to the thread. Have a GREAT weekend.

Nhscotsman

Commenting on your rundown with the lazy salesman, recently I went to the Harley shop in Pattaya. My sister has a friend who has a Harley and this man collects Harley t shirts from all over the world so I went there hoping to find one for him. There were several employees in the shop and not one bothered to as much as look at me, speak to me, or get off his lazy derriere. The shop never had a t shirt so I left. For all those employees knew I might have bought a very expensive Harley. Needless to say, I'll never go in that place again. This is just one incident out of many examples that simply leaves many Westerners incredulous. This is not the West and my even saying this doesn’t even get to the tip of the iceberg of what is often referred to as Thai logic. (on the other hand we Americans voted for George Busch twice). I can mention employees of this condo who defy the very Westerners whose jobs are in the palms of their hands and yet these employees think they run the show here and keep trying to prove their point whatever that point is. Then again, we have people working for us here who are absolutely first rate and would be top notch in any country.

Hi,

Nhscotsman

Hi,

Your comments yesterday are pretty much what I was thinking too, but for an update in the search for a motorbike/motorcycle the salesmen of Thailand still cease to amaze me. In the United States, if I went to one dealer asking about a particular model, I would have 10 dealers calling me, BEGGING ME to come to their dealerships see what they have. If I wasn't mobile, you would have dealers offering to bring me to the dealerships. Here, I have cash (no financing at all) to buy TODAY and I can't even get a dealer to get off his duff to meet with me. UNBELIEVEABLE!! I truly love living in Thailand and have no desire or intentions of ever moving back to the United States,( my wife wouldn't leave anyway…haha), but some salesmen here, be it Tesco Lotus or the local Honda dealer still cease to amaze me.

As for yesterdays experience, I have a teacher friend that has dealt with a particular dealer here in Bangkok and he suggested I contact him regarding a new Phantom. I had my wife call the man because his English is limited and she explained I was looking to buy a new red Phantom as soon as possible and that if possible, I would like to see a new 2008 model. The man said what the price was for it and that he didn't have one for me to see and that red wasn't available this year, but that he did say he has a friend that had a black one but he "wasn't" willing to show me unless I ordered it first. At first I thought my wife misunderstood him and she questioned him on his last statement and she had heard him right. I told her to forget it, I was so angry that if I had seen the guy, I would have been blatting off at him (he probably wouldn't have understood, but I would have felt better…haha). So I am still on the search for the mysterious Phantom motorcycle…haha

The comments you have all made are enjoyable though and I appreciate the time oyu have taken to add to the thread. Have a GREAT weekend.

Nhscotsman

They have a red phantom, the one with the flames, here in nakhon sawan. You can pick it up for 86.000 baht. No probs. You can only test drive it if you're going to buy it.

Hi,

Nhscotsman

Hi,

Your comments yesterday are pretty much what I was thinking too, but for an update in the search for a motorbike/motorcycle the salesmen of Thailand still cease to amaze me. In the United States, if I went to one dealer asking about a particular model, I would have 10 dealers calling me, BEGGING ME to come to their dealerships see what they have. If I wasn't mobile, you would have dealers offering to bring me to the dealerships. Here, I have cash (no financing at all) to buy TODAY and I can't even get a dealer to get off his duff to meet with me. UNBELIEVEABLE!! I truly love living in Thailand and have no desire or intentions of ever moving back to the United States,( my wife wouldn't leave anyway…haha), but some salesmen here, be it Tesco Lotus or the local Honda dealer still cease to amaze me.

As for yesterdays experience, I have a teacher friend that has dealt with a particular dealer here in Bangkok and he suggested I contact him regarding a new Phantom. I had my wife call the man because his English is limited and she explained I was looking to buy a new red Phantom as soon as possible and that if possible, I would like to see a new 2008 model. The man said what the price was for it and that he didn't have one for me to see and that red wasn't available this year, but that he did say he has a friend that had a black one but he "wasn't" willing to show me unless I ordered it first. At first I thought my wife misunderstood him and she questioned him on his last statement and she had heard him right. I told her to forget it, I was so angry that if I had seen the guy, I would have been blatting off at him (he probably wouldn't have understood, but I would have felt better…haha). So I am still on the search for the mysterious Phantom motorcycle…haha

Nhscotsman

If you're insistent on getting a Phantom go down Sukhumvit toward Bang Na Trad. Going under Bang Na Trad, keep going toward Samut Prakarn (Pak Nam). Eventually you'll get to Muang Samut Prakarn. Turn Left before you get to the police station, it's easy to know where because you'll see the road splitting up into two ahead of you. Keep going straight after turning. You'll pass a Big C that is on the other side of the road. Keep going. Eventually you'll see a really tall standing Buddha. Make a U-Turn and go to the Honda dealer there. Really good group, and they have an older Phantom (two-stroke) and one of those "Flame" editions that is all in black and have the ghost flames. If you want to take a Taxi, just tell them to take you to "Wat Asokoram". That's the soi just after the dealership.

Oh, and I definitely understand what you're talking about. I would think that it would be much more of a money maker if the dealers wouldn't be so apathetic about it. But TiT.

Hi,

Nhscotsman

Hi,

Nhscotsman

If you're insistent on getting a Phantom go down Sukhumvit toward Bang Na Trad. Going under Bang Na Trad, keep going toward Samut Prakarn (Pak Nam). Eventually you'll get to Muang Samut Prakarn. Turn Left before you get to the police station, it's easy to know where because you'll see the road splitting up into two ahead of you. Keep going straight after turning. You'll pass a Big C that is on the other side of the road. Keep going. Eventually you'll see a really tall standing Buddha. Make a U-Turn and go to the Honda dealer there. Really good group, and they have an older Phantom (two-stroke) and one of those "Flame" editions that is all in black and have the ghost flames. If you want to take a Taxi, just tell them to take you to "Wat Asokoram". That's the soi just after the dealership.

Oh, and I definitely understand what you're talking about. I would think that it would be much more of a money maker if the dealers wouldn't be so apathetic about it. But TiT.

That's what you see here in Nakhon Sawan. They Thais watch the Chinese make all the money. After that they whine and bicker about the Chinese being rich etc. My goodyear dealership here in NS is run by a Chinese family. Spot on everything, they ask you to come and watch them so you know what they're doing/replacing....... Or maybe because they're not sure what they're doing and hope you know.... Sh*t thought I finally found a good mechanic in Thailand.

However: maintenance your motorbike yourself. Bearings, brakes, valves, etc you can do it yourself, you know which parts you get and you know what happened to your bike. Taking a bike to the shop and asking them for a check-up is asking for trouble in Thailand. At least imho.

Best,

Fritz

Hi,

Nhscotsman

Hi,

Nhscotsman

That's what you see here in Nakhon Sawan. They Thais watch the Chinese make all the money. After that they whine and bicker about the Chinese being rich etc. My goodyear dealership here in NS is run by a Chinese family. Spot on everything, they ask you to come and watch them so you know what they're doing/replacing....... Or maybe because they're not sure what they're doing and hope you know.... Sh*t thought I finally found a good mechanic in Thailand.

However: maintenance your motorbike yourself. Bearings, brakes, valves, etc you can do it yourself, you know which parts you get and you know what happened to your bike. Taking a bike to the shop and asking them for a check-up is asking for trouble in Thailand. At least imho.

Best,

Fritz

Whereabouts in Nakhon Sawan do you live? I'm out in the sticks Northwest of there, but will be home in November. At least for a few days until we vacation up in Chiang Mai. If you want to get together and find the bottom of some bottles, I'm up to it.

The good year shop you're talking about is the one on the east side of 32 headed North of town?

There's been a few good shops I've been to.....the one that I recommended to the poster which I discovered while living in Samut Prakarn being one of the best. I know that the one in Lat Yao is a waste of time; I went in for the service that was supposed to replace my air filtre and they just blew it out with compressed air! Not a big vote of confidence. Up in Phra Kadeng they're even better even though it's just a little moo-ban and they obviously don't have any CBRs I am more confident with them working on it. And here's why; once I was riding my father-in-law's Nova and managed to break the shift linkage (hey the bike's like 50 years old and I've got muscular legs). I stopped in there and even though the dealership didn't have it in stock, spoke no English and didn't understand my pig-din Thai he was still able to suss up the fact it needed to be replaced. He hoped on his scooter, disappeared for 1/2 hour and came back with the part. Very impressive and I tipped him as much as the part and labour cost (if I remember correctly something like 150 Baht).

However, I've been doing the majority of the maintainence by myself. I do take it in for the prescribed oil changes to keep the warranty if nothing else though.

Hi,

Nhscotsman

Hi,

Nhscotsman

Best,

Fritz

Whereabouts in Nakhon Sawan do you live? I'm out in the sticks Northwest of there, but will be home in November. At least for a few days until we vacation up in Chiang Mai. If you want to get together and find the bottom of some bottles, I'm up to it.

The good year shop you're talking about is the one on the east side of 32 headed North of town?

There's been a few good shops I've been to.....the one that I recommended to the poster which I discovered while living in Samut Prakarn being one of the best. I know that the one in Lat Yao is a waste of time; I went in for the service that was supposed to replace my air filtre and they just blew it out with compressed air! Not a big vote of confidence. Up in Phra Kadeng they're even better even though it's just a little moo-ban and they obviously don't have any CBRs I am more confident with them working on it. And here's why; once I was riding my father-in-law's Nova and managed to break the shift linkage (hey the bike's like 50 years old and I've got muscular legs). I stopped in there and even though the dealership didn't have it in stock, spoke no English and didn't understand my pig-din Thai he was still able to suss up the fact it needed to be replaced. He hoped on his scooter, disappeared for 1/2 hour and came back with the part. Very impressive and I tipped him as much as the part and labour cost (if I remember correctly something like 150 Baht).

However, I've been doing the majority of the maintainence by myself. I do take it in for the prescribed oil changes to keep the warranty if nothing else though.

I live West of the city center. Sawan Vittee road Mueang tok. next to the NSRU where I work. It is indeed the goodyear dealer along the 32 it's still in the direction of Kamphaeng just after the intersection with the pitsanulok road past Big C on your left hand side. Nice people there. The owner speaks some sort of pidgin English and with my pidgin Thai it all works out.

When you're back in LOS let me know, we can meet up for a beer or so, I live here permanently so any time will do.

Planning to have a look at the Phantom that APetely is selling, this weekend. Seems like a nice bike and it also looks like it has some more room for a farang than the cbr150.

I just bought a CBR150 off the floor from a dealership on Taksin Road in Thonburi. I think it was the last one in stock right now, though. The shop is called M-Drive, and they say they have 8 shops around BKK. There are other dealers along the same stretch of road, and I saw many Phantoms at M-Drive and at other dealers. Check out the area between Thonburi Road and Rama III on the side opposite the post office. Waraporn at M-Drive speaks English pretty well.

Hi,

Nhscotsman

Almost every time I have walked into Nayom Panich, the big dealer in south Chiang Mai, they have had at least one CBR150 on the showroom floor, and often a Phantom. No choice of colors, though. Twice I bought a new one off the showroom floor.

Update on the new black one that I crashed on July 2. As Unfaithful mentioned, I look younger. :o And the bike looks better. Both swingarms need replacing, and the tail goes up about 8 inches higher than usual. Mirrors gone, as usual, but that is about all. Rims, tires, engine, etc., all as good as new (1,700 km). I think the CBR150 is sturdy in a crash. The Nolan helmet has a bump on its frontal lobe, and I do not. :D

Almost every time I have walked into Nayom Panich, the big dealer in south Chiang Mai, they have had at least one CBR150 on the showroom floor, and often a Phantom. No choice of colors, though. Twice I bought a new one off the showroom floor.

Update on the new black one that I crashed on July 2. As Unfaithful mentioned, I look younger. :D And the bike looks better. Both swingarms need replacing, and the tail goes up about 8 inches higher than usual. Mirrors gone, as usual, but that is about all. Rims, tires, engine, etc., all as good as new (1,700 km). I think the CBR150 is sturdy in a crash. The Nolan helmet has a bump on its frontal lobe, and I do not. :D

Hmm, don't remember Unfaithful stating that. Perhaps you're moving out of the pre-senile stage of life and into the full blown senility part? :o

It is good that you're getting your bike back. From the damage described, your bike must have somehow took most of the crash on its a$$. I've laid my bike down going around the track at Seacon, so I know that with the CBR 150R being as narrow as it is, you really have to try hard to break it. I am curious, you say both swing arms need replacing. What do you mean? AFAIK, there's only one swing arm.