Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

I get some pain in my right wrist, but that's due to a bone condition and not the grips. lol.

Oh, and for those of you who bought because most of your driving is in the city, trust me when I tell you it will cruse 130 ALL DAY on the highways. I've made numerous trips on mine from C.M to Lampang, Phitsanuloc, Tak, Nakon Sawan, Khon Kaen, and one day from CM to Tak to Phitsanuloc and back to CM - 770 kilometers. Ok, I admit it, my butt was a little sore after that one. lol But, dam_n, it was fun!

:intheclub:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! Yeah, exactly the same reasons i got the 150 over the 250; and got a 2nd hand one too. I reckon the same, by 2013 should be some interesting bikes on the market. Til then, the 150 is a lot of fun. I had some wrist pain (i'm 176) but more due to hanging on too tight, have to keep remembering to relax the arms, but then the pain reminds me!!

The allen key in the tool kit is there to adjust the angle of the handgrips, if you tilt them in it feels a bit better and IMO handling is more stable. ;)

Thanks for the tip, i haven't even looked in the tool roll! And thanks for the explanation of the plug lead too. I might change the plug to a needle type when i change the ECM, though maybe i should change it before or after to see what difference there is.

Im gonna hook up my spare fresh API CDi up and see if there is any difference in performance, the one in the bike has been installed for around a month now.

oh, in the tool kit there is a flattened tube, put that over the allen key for leverage.

Finally got mine today :lol:. So far so good. Pleasant to ride, not complaint from the wrist so far, I'm 179 (approx 5'10"). What still surprise me is how high the engine rev. Rode the PCX for a year got bored of just twist and go B). What I really need is a place to repaint the exhaust cover, silver on a black bike just ain't doing it. Any suggestions? Or should I DIY it with high temp spray paint. MATT black of course. Was deciding between 250 and 150. Most would probably go for the 250, but since I mainly use it in city, just didn't justify the extra cost.

Remembered reading a post that said something similar regarding the usage. Maybe I'll get something bigger, when the 2013 model comes out. (BTW the 150 is a 2nd hand so I'm not that crazy...yet).

Don't have be be high temp color , but if you can , it's better.

cover won't recieve much heat from exhuast . except two areas , at both ends

one near exhaust hole . one at the very fist head of the cover ( it's close to pipe and quite hot)

I have a kevlar and epoxy on them . on the epoxy turn slightly yellow at that two areas.

but that just very little area and hard to be seen. so I think It should be fine to go for normal color as the high temp would cost more.

I met some problem yesterday.

I was riding back to home and stopped at some intersection , shift to N , rev down down and pshh ..... stall ....

and it was hard to start again . even started , the rev keep going down below 1500. I have to open thorttle a little to help it and have to keep it rev higher than 1700.

the engine knocked two more time at some intersection , while I let it idle , sounds like not enough fuel injected to me.

got back to home safely , I tore it down , check everything especially electrical system , and nothing found.

I test start it . yet . still easy to stall if let the throttle. so I think It should be an FI system and nothing for me to do . was decided to go to mech

this morning I turn the key , started . then I instantly figure it out.

I left the bike unused for 4 day , making a fiberglass , there's bubble of air in the injection pump and have to turn the key on and off several times to bleed the air out.

and that day , was heavy rained and the air was damp (very) , my bike Idle is normally lower than others so it would be easy for it to stall .

How embarrassing; i was dusted by a farang on a new Vespa! I suspect it may have been the GTS 300, as the guy was quite confident. He got the jump on me at the first lights and i trailed him not trying to catch him til we hit some open highway, i was slowly able to pass him and pull away after we hit about 90-100 kph. The next set of lights he beat me on acceleration, though i think the bikes are probably equal except i stuffed up a couple of gear changes (hitting the rev limiter). But still the Vespa seems a great little bike!

Finally API-Tech have the ECM and i should get it in the next few days, probably can't fit it til next week. I'll need to find the Vespa guy and have another drag to see if there is any real difference! :lol:

Was it really a Vespa? On the rear end of a Sym GTS 300i EVO you also see similar markings...?

Sym-GTS-Evo-300i_Affordable-Maxi-Scooter_2.jpeg

And they also available in Thailand for 178,000 THB (on the road with all the right and official paperwork)

How embarrassing; i was dusted by a farang on a new Vespa! I suspect it may have been the GTS 300, as the guy was quite confident. He got the jump on me at the first lights and i trailed him not trying to catch him til we hit some open highway, i was slowly able to pass him and pull away after we hit about 90-100 kph. The next set of lights he beat me on acceleration, though i think the bikes are probably equal except i stuffed up a couple of gear changes (hitting the rev limiter). But still the Vespa seems a great little bike!

Finally API-Tech have the ECM and i should get it in the next few days, probably can't fit it til next week. I'll need to find the Vespa guy and have another drag to see if there is any real difference! :lol:

Was it really a Vespa? On the rear end of a Sym GTS 300i EVO you also see similar markings...?

Sym-GTS-Evo-300i_Affordable-Maxi-Scooter_2.jpeg

And they also available in Thailand for 178,000 THB (on the road with all the right and official paperwork)

I don't know my Vespas that well, but i know the real Vespa doesn't have GTS300 on the side, just Vespa. And the one i saw was like a the ordinary Vespa on steroids; a great looking scooter. I suppose he could have swapped badges. But then again the only reason you have asked is to promote your website and the bikes you have interest in. :jap:

Ok, Honda at Niyom Panich, Chiang Mai, has rim tape - red or silver - that also says "CBR" on large letters. I went with the red. I'll post photos when my wife comes home with the camera. 133 baht per set, total 266, plus 100baht labor, 366 total.

Go back to the Customer Service office by the bike service area, and it's in one of the glass display cases.

Ok, Honda at Niyom Panich, Chiang Mai, has rim tape - red or silver - that also says "CBR" on large letters. I went with the red. I'll post photos when my wife comes home with the camera. 133 baht per set, total 266, plus 100baht labor, 366 total.

Go back to the Customer Service office by the bike service area, and it's in one of the glass display cases.

They charge you for Labour up there? I know it's not alot, but in BKK anything I buy is put on for free, even when I bought it somewhere else.

I bought the silver tape for my black CBR, the guy put it on, adjusted my chain, oiled it, refilled the coolant liquid, checked the idle speed, checked the battery connecters and did the tyre pressures and all I paid was the 266Baht for the cost of the rim stickers.

Edited by macknife

This time they did, but along with putting on the rim tape they also did a complete maintenance service on it, and that they didn't charge me for. And between the old 150 and the new one, these guys have done a lot of "freebies" for me, so I really didn't mind this time.

This time they did, but along with putting on the rim tape they also did a complete maintenance service on it, and that they didn't charge me for. And between the old 150 and the new one, these guys have done a lot of "freebies" for me, so I really didn't mind this time.

as an owner of both ,how do you rate the new 150r against the "old" 150 ?

I bought the last model year of the old one, and while I enjoyed it tremendously, the new one is a much better bike. For me, the biggest differences are speed, both acceleration and top end. The new one is much faster off the line, with better overall acceleration. I've raced against 4-5 of the old models, and it wasn't even close. OK, except for one on a trip from Tak to Phitsanuloc that flat out ran off and left me with 2 up, but there's no way that bike was stock.

Higher speeds of 110+ on the old one didn't feel safe or stable, so it was a little scary taking it faster than that at time. The new one will cruise very comfortably all day at 125-130, and faster than that if you want. With the added weight and larger tires, the bike is much more stable at the higher speeds.

As for maneuverability in and out of city traffic, there's no difference as far as I'm concerned.

In the "curb appeal" category, the new one is much better looking than the old one. I've got a tri-color, with matching full HJC helmet, along with the tri-color racing jacket, and I get 10 times more looks with this than I ever did with the old one.

The old one was a good bike, the new one is much better.

I bought the last model year of the old one, and while I enjoyed it tremendously, the new one is a much better bike. For me, the biggest differences are speed, both acceleration and top end. The new one is much faster off the line, with better overall acceleration. I've raced against 4-5 of the old models, and it wasn't even close. OK, except for one on a trip from Tak to Phitsanuloc that flat out ran off and left me with 2 up, but there's no way that bike was stock.

Higher speeds of 110+ on the old one didn't feel safe or stable, so it was a little scary taking it faster than that at time. The new one will cruise very comfortably all day at 125-130, and faster than that if you want. With the added weight and larger tires, the bike is much more stable at the higher speeds.

As for maneuverability in and out of city traffic, there's no difference as far as I'm concerned.

In the "curb appeal" category, the new one is much better looking than the old one. I've got a tri-color, with matching full HJC helmet, along with the tri-color racing jacket, and I get 10 times more looks with this than I ever did with the old one.

thanks for that , Just1Voice

i know the old one very well,i ve done maybe 10-12 thousand km on mine before i sold it :) it was no rocketship for sure but it wasnt too slow either and the engine took some of the worst abuse ive ever given to an engine

and it never missed a beat ( i used to redline it from cold in the first few gears every morning to get up to speed on the "big road" :rolleyes: )

the new 150r looks way nicer than the old one ,250r looks reasonable as well except for that traffic cone exhaust that only a mother could love :whistling:

how much warranty do they give on new cbrs these days ? is it 3 years or 5 years ? 36,000km or 50,000km

thanks for that , Just1Voice

i know the old one very well,i ve done maybe 10-12 thousand km on mine before i sold it :) it was no rocketship for sure but it wasnt too slow either and the engine took some of the worst abuse ive ever given to an engine

and it never missed a beat ( i used to redline it from cold in the first few gears every morning to get up to speed on the "big road" :rolleyes: )

the new 150r looks way nicer than the old one ,250r looks reasonable as well except for that traffic cone exhaust that only a mother could love :whistling:

how much warranty do they give on new cbrs these days ? is it 3 years or 5 years ? 36,000km or 50,000km

I'd have to check my paperwork, but if I remember right, the warranty is 3 years, but don't hold me to that.

I agree with you on the durability of the old one. dam_n things were pretty much bullet proof, so to speak, but so far the new one is proving to be the same. For me personally, the biggest advantage is being able to take the longer trips much more comfortably, as well as faster. And while I'm not a fan of the IRC Road Winner tires, the ones on the new 150 also seem to be much better than those of the old mode.

I've raced against 4-5 of the old models, and it wasn't even close. OK, except for one on a trip from Tak to Phitsanuloc that flat out ran off and left me with 2 up, but there's no way that bike was stock.

I have my eyes open looking for you...lol :ph34r:

rim tape looks great ! I was thinking about putting red tape in the same place, and another white strip inwards also, Think it'll be overkill?

Edited by KRS1

I've raced against 4-5 of the old models, and it wasn't even close. OK, except for one on a trip from Tak to Phitsanuloc that flat out ran off and left me with 2 up, but there's no way that bike was stock.

I have my eyes open looking for you...lol :ph34r:

rim tape looks great ! I was thinking about putting red tape in the same place, and another white strip inwards also, Think it'll be overkill?

I think if you do white between the red it would look good. I came very close to going with the silver, simply because it would be more noticeable, but then decided to keep the color scheme of the bike and went red. Nice thing was, when wife came home later and saw, she liked it also, and asked me why I didn't do it before now. Go figure!

Next on the agenda - New Tires. Either Bridgestone Batlax or Michelin Pilot Sporty. I can get either one for about the same price from one shop I know of. The owner, who speaks fairly good English, told me he went with Bridgestone for his bike (er6f) as the Michelin's are more likely to suffer from punctures than the Bridgestones.

And been thinking of doing the pipe cover in high gloss black, although wifey like the stock "silvery" (her term) better. My reply was: "Yes, honey, but it's not YOUR bike, it's mine." Ok, that one didn't win me any points, for sure, but the point was made.

Also want to get some padding added to the seat for those longer trips I like to take. That 770+ kilometer trip I did one day from CM to Tak to Phitasnuloc and back to CM left my butt a bit sore, and I'm planning a much longer one - when the rain finally stops - so a little softer seat would be good.

:jap:

I need tires too asap, these tires are still the 7 year old original tires that came with the bike. I think i know why people hate IRC's so much now - expired rubber. I don't remember my other bike with the same tires, but newer, being this slippery. Almost lost it twice on the way to Pai yesterday do to course sand. Going up Doi Suthep has been getting worse and worse also.

I saw the same bike with 3D dry carbon fiber sticker sheet put over the exhaust cover and it looked really good. If my bike was in worse condition i'd do the whole bike. :D

The pic is of an exhaust from a vfr400

ex2ve.jpg

Edited by KRS1

Im thinking about it right now, i may get flamed for this, but the IRC formulation that comes in the blue tire wrapper are actually ok OEM are the red wrappers, i used the blue ones on another bike last year. These stock tires i have now, the rubber composition is starting to deteriorate and getting spongelike and porous.

That being said I'd like to get either Bridgestone or Dunlop if the price is right though, but those arent tubeless i dont think. It would be like 2200 baht for a set of blue IRC's in 90f and 110r.

Haven't been able to find anything but IRC's yet, have a good connection?

I like coasting down Doi Suthep too, can actually be faster than going down in gear, no engine braking and is cool how its completely silent ! Broke a chain once on Suthep and had no other option, made it all the way down to that shrine before pulling over.:)

Edited by KRS1

Ok, there's one IRC compound that another guy I met switched to. I'm not sure if the stock now are IRC 77, and the other is IRC 44, or vice versa. But he was saying he switched and it made a world of difference.

There's a shop I know where the guy can order you just about anything you want. Not sure if he does the install or if you'd have to take them to Honda. Not sure where you're at, but coming into town from the east on 118, just after you go over the Ping River there's a small shop on the left. Guy has some NICE custom restore's sitting out front. Bigger repair shop across the street. His English is fairly good. Small shop, but neat, clean, and in talking to the guy you can tell he loves what he does, and knows his stuff. Sorry I can't think of the name of it now.

Also a shop on Chiang Moi road that looks like just a helmet shop, till you stop and go in. They've got lots of tires for scooters, but one guy there told my wife he can order anything I want. That one's easy to find. As you go around the canal, turn left at "Mike's Burgers", go down about 1-1/2 kilometers and it's on the right. My wife knows the name of it. I'll check with her when she comes home.

That place on Chang Moi is called Prida :)..but didn't know they would order for you, i asked if they had Dunlop and they just said no, and nothing else.:huh: If i get the blue IRC's thats probably where i'll get them, but im still having trouble tracking down a 110 rear. I'll check out that custom shop and see what he says, thanks !

This is the first time im actually feeling like my life is in danger with these old tires.

That place on Chang Moi is called Prida :)..but didn't know they would order for you, i asked if they had Dunlop and they just said no, and nothing else.:huh: If i get the blue IRC's thats probably where i'll get them, but im still having trouble tracking down a 110 rear. I'll check out that custom shop and see what he says, thanks !

This is the first time im actually feeling like my life is in danger with these old tires.

The guy told my wife they could order, but I'd double check just to make sure. If not, the guy at the other shop can/will.

just google searched for tires and the Mich Sporty's, Dunlop TT900, & Battlax are all tubeless. But the Sportys can still be used with tubes.

I may give these IRC's a shot

NR48 i like this one because it doesn't have the centerline, been in a few situations where the centerline tracked and wasn't a very fun experience. But doesn't look to be very round so may handle slower.

NR77U Developed specifically for the CBR 150, no 110

NR77s Racing compound but only goes up up to 90

Edited by KRS1