Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a ride yesterday on my 2011 CBR150R. First ride with the Thai CBR150R engine in my 2011 CBR125R chassis. I'd been waiting since October 2012 to take this thing out. The temp display on my car said 8C. Good enough for me.

10qkrat.jpg

Headed out on my usual run along Lakeshore Drive out to Wild Goose Beach. The bike felt great. Noticeably more power across the rev range compared to the CBR125R. And the sound is more throaty than its little brother too. It sounds great. Good thing it's relatively smooth when you wind it out. The road into Wild Goose was snow covered in places.

2zpr1i9.jpg

You can see the remnants of our recent winter tale here. The snow is now melting fast (finally), but we got dumped on several times toward the end of the season. It certainly doesn't look like good riding weather. But at no time was I ever cold. After a couple of hours - I was still cozy in my gear. The photo below is of the beach parking lot.

2lbdtl2.jpg

And here is the Sleeping Giant and umm....the beach. You can see a section of an ice-racing track to the left.

2ppc2s5.jpg

I like comparing the same photo at different times of year. The contrast of seasons is pretty remarkable. The photo below was taken in July 2012. If you look closely, you can see people swimming in the cool waters of Lake Superior below. Hard to image this scene from the photo above.

2qm2c89.jpg

From there I continued along Lakeshore and then took the Trans-Canada back to Thunder Bay so I could test the highway capability of the 150R. Overall - it did fine. However, I was facing a pretty severe headwind and found myself frequently dropping it from 6th (7800 rpm @ 100km/hr) to 5th (9000 rpm @100km/hr) in order to continue riding at my 100km/hr (GPS) goal. After taking some time to peruse the useful online Gearing Commander site, I think I might go with one less tooth on the countershaft sprocket like I did with my 2009 CBR150R. This will put me at 8400 rpm in 6th @ 100km/hr - right near the engine's torque peak at 8500 rpm. My older 2009 125R with this 150R engine ran similar lower gearing, and I think I like the extra jump the lower gearing gives me in the city, and I'm more satisfied with the way it works on the highway too.

I also stopped at the Terry Fox Lookout too for a quick break and a few more photos.

mjb9yd.jpg

Here's a plaque that describes the significance of Terry's journey.

2621tud.jpg

Here is another gratuitous shot of the 150R (the wolf) in 125R (sheep's)clothing...

2rcxugy.jpg

From there I visited the Bluffs overlooking the Current River for yet another view of the Giant. I didn't expect to see so many others enjoying the views and milder temps.....while pensively sucking back on some thinly rolled, sweet smelling...ummm... cigarettes.

c52j9.jpg

I thought I'd stop by Hillcrest Park as well to take yet another shot of the Sleeping Giant. On the way there while waiting at a stop, a young guy drove by in a pickup and with the window rolled down yelled what sounded like "Nice Mike!" but I think it was "Nice bike!" Either way - I think the colours look pretty striking.

8xvs6p.jpg

Here is another contrasting shot taken in June from a similar spot. You can barely see the outline of the Giant in the background.

98rjb7.jpg

I took one more photo before heading toward Oliver Road and onto the expressway. I wanted to stretch the 150Rs legs a bit.

2sadjxy.jpg

Mike

Mike cool post. Thanks for sending some cold breeze to us experiencing right now the hottest season in Thailand!

It is a pity that you are not living in thailand as i follow your posts and as you are a low cc admirer, you feel perfectly at home here.

Why not moving here?:lol:

Edited by loserlazer

Mike cool post. Thanks for sending some cold breeze to us experiencing right now the hottest season in Thailand! It is a pity that you are not living in thailand as i follow your posts and as you are a low cc admirer, you feel perfectly at home here. Why not moving here?laugh.png

I would love to visit Thailand - and probably will in the near future. But I have a great job here that I love, make lots of money doing it, and have essentially 5 months off from April until early September. And I love the wilderness and lakes here too. And I love winter as well - just lamenting how spring seems to be taking its sweet time this year. I would love to ride in Thailand too. The photos of the countryside and the scenic, twisty roads are stunning.

Mike

Mike, we have great wilderness here in Thailand too and you can get winter in neighboring countries like Laos etc if you want to.

If you come here one day, just infirm us so we recommend you some nice routes and bike rentals besides talking these over some couple of beers.

Cheers!

Mike, we have great wilderness here in Thailand too and you can get winter in neighboring countries like Laos etc if you want to.

If you come here one day, just infirm us so we recommend you some nice routes and bike rentals besides talking these over some couple of beers.

Cheers!

Thanks for the invite. And beers. It's hard for me to turn down some libations after a fun ride. biggrin.png

If you ever ride across Canada - contact me and I'll take you on some scenic rides around Thunder Bay. You can even climb the Sleeping Giant seen in the photos!!

Mike

Cheers!

Thanks for the invite. And beers. It's hard for me to turn down some libations after a fun ride.

If you ever ride across Canada - contact me and I'll take you on some scenic rides around Thunder Bay. You can even climb the Sleeping Giant seen in the photos!!

Mike

I have some friends in Canada inviting me there for some years as well.

I do not have time too to have good ride somewhere outside of Thailand, work you know.

But who knows maybe one day?! Thanks for inviting me there too.

Edited by loserlazer

• 3 weeks later...

I was as honda and saw the new 2013 CBR 150R all three colors look amazing IMO. ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1366514260.565377.jpgImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1366514274.421740.jpgImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1366514308.934579.jpg

What do you guys think of the new CBR 150R?

I don't see any differences.

Every year they changed the stickers. This year they have carbon stickers. With a better design.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, anyone of you had try to buy some items from www.akunar.com?

I ask in the forum cause i ordered and already payed an exhsaust for my yamaha nano spark and i got many troubles with them.

They are really kind when they answer my emails, but they answer at least 1 week late every mail, they sent me the wrong part and assure to me i'll have back the right one in 1 week, but still not have nothing back in more than 3 weeks.

So i sent the yet another mail 2 weeks ago and still not reply...

I start to be really disappointed, if someone of you has a mobile number please can provide it to me?

thanks!

Stuck home alone last Friday. While it was a holiday (Visakha Bucha), everyone else in the house had to go to work or school, because they had a long extended summer break. I guess I had too much time to spare...

post-118861-0-14398500-1369492694_thumb.

Stuck home alone last Friday. While it was a holiday (Visakha Bucha), everyone else in the house had to go to work or school, because they had a long extended summer break. I guess I had too much time to spare...

attachicon.gif2013-05-25 00.14.28.png

Lucky you, I got rid of the CBR150 because I wanted to get the 500 (most likely) in a few months.

Only bike I have now is a brand new click, it's awful, some terrible "combi braking system" which as far as i can work out. The frontbrake doesn't work at all unless you are braking with the back or the back brakes the front for you.

Either way, the front brake does nothing on its own, well done Honda on how to teach new riders how to die! I won't even get ABS on bikes if I have the preference as i believe its most likely to turn you into a unsafe novice braker. Unless you live in a country that gets snow then i would take it.

I always said the CBR 150 has terrible brakes for a bigger bike but I take that back. Before i got rid of it, I was riding with my friend on the back to chula hospital, on rama 4 and for some reason I went on the overpass at Silom intersection instead of turning right and I was looking off at the intersection thinking why did I do that ... i turned to look at the road and traffic was stopped and we were fast approaching, my friend screamed and I jumped on the brakes and we just made it by about half a metre still in 4th gear. I had the panic set in and I didn't think I would make it for a second, didn't even get a chance to change gear! it would have been better to switch lanes but i couldn't shoulder check safely and I wasn't sure if the traffic was stopped as well, either way it was hiddiously close.

kudos to the CBR, forks didn't even bottom out or shake.

Edited by Bingo66

Lucky you, I got rid of the CBR150 because I wanted to get the 500 (most likely) in a few months.

Only bike I have now is a brand new click, it's awful, some terrible "combi braking system" which as far as i can work out. The frontbrake doesn't work at all unless you are braking with the back or the back brakes the front for you.

Either way, the front brake does nothing on its own, well done Honda on how to teach new riders how to die! I won't even get ABS on bikes if I have the preference as i believe its most likely to turn you into a unsafe novice braker. Unless you live in a country that gets snow then i would take it.

I always said the CBR 150 has terrible brakes for a bigger bike but I take that back. Before i got rid of it, I was riding with my friend on the back to chula hospital, on rama 4 and for some reason I went on the overpass at Silom intersection instead of turning right and I was looking off at the intersection thinking why did I do that ... i turned to look at the road and traffic was stopped and we were fast approaching, my friend screamed and I jumped on the brakes and we just made it by about half a metre still in 4th gear. I had the panic set in and I didn't think I would make it for a second, didn't even get a chance to change gear! it would have been better to switch lanes but i couldn't shoulder check safely and I wasn't sure if the traffic was stopped as well, either way it was hiddiously close.

The combi braking system on Honda scooters mean both brakes engage by pulling the left lever, the right lever is front brake only.

I have a CBR150 and the brakes are ok. As the tires get older, they will snake a bit on heavy braking.

Edited by macknife

The combi braking system on Honda scooters mean both brakes engage by pulling the left lever, the right lever is front brake only.

I have a CBR150 and the brakes are ok. As the tires get older, they will snake a bit on heavy braking.

You can push the bike by walking with it with the front brake fully engaged with a bit of force, who the <deleted> designed that and what is the point in having a front brake? So basically the bike brakes for you, so this teaches the teenagers what exactly? How to die on a real motorcycle? Honda has had some shocking releases lately ...

I got it brand new on only 8km, my ex's dad owns a bike rental shop and I get scooters for free as long as I look after them and pay for servicing / tax. The bike is lumpy and juddery as hell, feels like the fuel filter is blocked and it doesn't sound very nice. But considering it's new, there can't be anything wrong with it, it's cheap and runs on E20, but a new bike couldn't come sooner, even miss the old Nouvo.

You can push the bike by walking with it with the front brake fully engaged with a bit of force, who the <deleted> designed that and what is the point in having a front brake? So basically the bike brakes for you, so this teaches the teenagers what exactly? How to die on a real motorcycle? Honda has had some shocking releases lately ...

I got it brand new on only 8km, my ex's dad owns a bike rental shop and I get scooters for free as long as I look after them and pay for servicing / tax. The bike is lumpy and juddery as hell, feels like the fuel filter is blocked and it doesn't sound very nice. But considering it's new, there can't be anything wrong with it, it's cheap and runs on E20, but a new bike couldn't come sooner, even miss the old Nouvo.

A couple of friends of mine have the new Clicks, I checked today and there is no way their bikes can be moved with the front(right) brake lever engaged. I would have it checked at Honda. If it's running badly then try at least gasohol 91, E20 is the worst fuel you can buy here.

A couple of friends of mine have the new Clicks, I checked today and there is no way their bikes can be moved with the front(right) brake lever engaged.

Thanks for checking this out. Though it was hard to believe noboy had noticed a lack of braking power on the Click before.

smile.png

But isn't this thread about the CBR150? Mine runs fine and brakes are OK too. Still happy with it. I once saw a CBR150 that was converted to an off road bike. It looked pretty cool. First i didn't realize that it was a CBR. Then the owner pointed to my bike and said "Same model" laugh.png

Hey,

Much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm after a complete fairing kit for the old CBR150R. Nearly every panel has been scratched cracked over the years.
I've had a quote from Honda close to 10k, which I thought was a little rich, but that is painted.
I've sent Faddy an email but no reply as yet. They look unpainted from the pics.?

If anyone knows of a alternative that they've heard of or used I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Stefan

Edited by stefan2519

A couple of friends of mine have the new Clicks, I checked today and there is no way their bikes can be moved with the front(right) brake lever engaged. I would have it checked at Honda. If it's running badly then try at least gasohol 91, E20 is the worst fuel you can buy here.

Hmm, thanks for the input on front brake, better idea if I go and test some of clicks on road for sale. Maybe I got a faulty POS.

I tried 91 Gasohol and Benzine to make sure, What's wrong with E20 or Gasohol? These 2013 bikes all have neoprene pipes and support 20% Ethanol with the F1 Full injection and ECU, if anything it's better because it's 95 Oct. I understand there's a lot of gasohol hate but there's no evidence of engine ware? Just myths, a few years ago it was plausible but these 2013 honda bikes have been designed for higher Ethanol fuels.

Edited by Bingo66

Hey,

Much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm after a complete fairing kit for the old CBR150R. Nearly every panel has been scratched cracked over the years.

I've had a quote from Honda close to 10k, which I thought was a little rich, but that is painted.

I've sent Faddy an email but no reply as yet. They look unpainted from the pics.?

If anyone knows of a alternative that they've heard of or used I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Stefan

What Year?