DIY solar system - how to sell electricity to PEA

Didn't they just announce in the last couple days they shut the solar purchase program down or will quite shortly for new applicants due to safety reasons? The article was in bankkok post this week

1 hour ago, 4myr said:

Would like to share some info/experience on how to get hold of a Power Purchase Agreement [PPA] with PEA to sell electricity to them.

The online system is called Power Producer Information System [PPIM] and one of the programs is to buy electricity from small households.

Hope this helps. Will keep you posted on the progress. If you are familiar with this program, please share.

========

A few years ago I installed a small DIY on-grid system [ 3.3kw inverter, 2,000 Wp panels ].

As my production was equal to what I used, I did not bother to look into the details how to make a contract to sell electricity to PEA. 

This month I extended the system to the full capacity of the inverter. On a normal sunny day I can export/sell around 10kwh per day.

With the current 2.2 baht / kwh price and a contract of 10 years I can earn max around 70,000 baht.

After some searching I found on the PEA site the online process to submit a request to have a PEA selling contract.

It is called PPIM for rooftop solar households, type 1 residential.

Please check your PEA invoice, column Type, if you can apply.

Fee to submit the request is 2,000 baht excl VAT.

After scrolling thru the online form I learned that I cannot do it on my own.

I need a certified engineer that will sign off the electrical diagram [Single Line Diagram] of the system.

So I called a few installation companies in Prachuap, where I live.

One gave a quote of 15,000 baht + 2,500 baht extra, because they did not install my system. 

After providing them some pictures of the combiner box I had a call with sales.

Success rate of a PEA selling contract is 100%. No rejections sofar. However I would be their first DIY customer.

Wait time PEA for the whole process is 3 to 6 months.

A few weeks ago, a company from Ayuthaya installed a solar system at my neighbour's roof.

I managed to ask the onsite engineer to check my combiner box.

After 20 minutes checking he said: AC circuit breaker of inverter in main panel should be 32A instead of 16A.

And the earth/ground cable should be black color instead of yellow/green.

Hmm. I thought that yellow/green was the international standard for ground.

Accidentally my Thai wife found an engineer thru her friend. He also happen to live in the same town in Prachuap.

He came to see the system. He also explained the request process, as he also installs solar systems.

Nothing wrong with my system! No changes needed. What a relief.

After submitting the form with many attachments e.g. SLD diagram, PEA will take 45 days to come with an answer.

For Prachuap customers the process is centralized at PEA Phetchaburi.

Progress of status of the request can be checked online.

If approved for the next step, print out the online documents and pay the fee of 2,000 baht at your PEA office.

PEA will make an appointment for inspection of around 3 hours.

They will check the combiner box, main house panel, inverter and the earth bonding stick into the soil.

They will not go to the roof to check the grounding of the panels.

After PEA inspection, it takes an additional 30 days before final approval can be expected and that the selling/export is registered by PEA systems.

So a total of around 3-4 months. The engineer also told me that there is no waiting queue for export meters in Prachuap.

The best part came at the end. He will not charge us anything, except for expenses. As long as we can do some marketing about his solar installation business.

Are you running a few air conditioners?  I think that's our biggest expense along with our pool pump.

I'm kicking myself for not installing solar! 

• 2 weeks later...

Last week the engineer submitted the form.

I sent him the specs of the panels as cropped from the Lazada shop's website, as I could not find the data sheet from the manufacturer. But these were heavily pixelated, although still very readable. The engineer was a bit concerned that PEA would reject these, so he spend some time in looking for better quality pdfs.

As he was planning to drop by at PEA Phetchaburi later during the 45 day wait period, he was also not very concerned.

The status of the form as Google translated is now a bit confusing:
1) waiting for payment [have to pay after approval of 1st step] and

2) waiting for processing of documents [by PEA]

I' ll update you again after the visit to Phetchaburi or around 1st Sept

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

The wheels grind oh so slowly ...

Your neighbour still hasn't got his "sell" meter (unless he has a two-dial analogue unit). Hope he doesn't get caught out spinning it backwards.

Despite having everything in place and "approved" for an export meter @Thaifish got caught out by the meter reader and had a no-reverse meter installed. AFAIK he still hasn't got his export meter :sad:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 5:41 AM, Crossy said:

Let's pop this over to the Alternative Energy forum.

Good news that you've managed to at least start the process with a DIY system, the acid test will be actually getting your export meter, at least one member has been waiting years for his (On a professionally installed and approved system)!

Shelling out around 20k for approval to sell at 2.2Baht per unit, so you need to sell 9,000 units to break even on the approval cost. If you are really over-producing by 10kWh per day that's 900 days or 2.5 years.

Do keep us informed how things pan out and good luck! ???? 

In my view, at this point in time, and due to the approval processes, it almost seems like SHEER STUPIDITY to waste time on the process to sell to the power company.

At least, sheer stupidity, compared to selling the electric power to a neighbor for Bt.3.0 per kWh.

Or, why not just offer to recharge your neighbors' EVs for Bt.3.0 per kWh?

Seems easier and more profitable,...

At least, to me it does.

Maybe I have not yet thought this through, however...

(Why does one need the power company to act as a middleman? Nobody likes to pay commissions.)