Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Last week I gave my CBR a check over, following the completion of my little 5000km tour of Southern Thailand.

I noticed a couple of cracks/splits in the side wall of my rear tyre. This is the stock tire, and has not been changed since I purchased the bike.

I've done 11,000 km since purchasing the bike, and all but around 500 of those km have been covered touring, so 100+ kmph for extended periods. Wear was actually very light considering this, but the side wall was in a bad shape.

Living as I do in Surin, options are quite limited when it comes to sourcing bike tires. I managed to find one large bike part wholesaler who only sells IRC tires (the people who make the stock eagles on the CBR).

With no other option, I purchased a 100/80/17 for the front, which when unwrapped, turned out to be the exact model of tyre fitted to the CBR in the factory, just larger.

The rear is a 120/80/17 and came wrapped in plastic that said NSR 150 all over it.

Clearance with the front med guard is very very tight, so tight that I am now hearing stones hitting the plastic as the wheel turns when riding over dirt.

Rear clearance was no problem, didn't even have to move the axle back a little

Total cost was 2366 baht, and another 100 baht to have them fitted.

First impressions on the ride home are that high speed stability is increased, steering seems just a tad heavier, bike feels very different leaning into a bend, gonna take some getting used too.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning to begin a second, shorter, 3500km tour. I'll let people know how the tires perform during it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know where I can get some decent tyres for my CBR150 in the Pattaya / Jomtien area. Ideally Pirelli Dragons and get them fitted. Have completed 600 km on the stock tyres and are quite scary. Am planning on doing serious touring and the stock ones are asking for trouble. Or, othe CBR owners out there what tyres have you found the best?

Does anybody know where I can get some decent tyres for my CBR150 in the Pattaya / Jomtien area. Ideally Pirelli Dragons and get them fitted. Have completed 600 km on the stock tyres and are quite scary. Am planning on doing serious touring and the stock ones are asking for trouble. Or, othe CBR owners out there what tyres have you found the best?

Contact Graham Knight at High Side Tours for Pirellis in Pattaya (he runs the bike days at Bira race circuit), I got a set of Sports Demons for another bike from him. Any local mechanic can get them fitted. Having mucked around a bit with tyres on my CBR150 i still think the best set up is the Michellin Pilot Sporty 90/80 front and 100/80 rear. Any half decent (most are only quarter decent!) bike shop can order the Michs for you and fit them. Should be around THB3000 or less for the pair.

Many thanx taichiplanet. Will probably follow your advice and go for the Michelin Pilot Sporty. Quite alot of good comments on this set up. Once I have run the engine in I am planning on going to Phuket from Pattaya. So want some decent rubber. Thanx again.

Thank you for this thread. I hope it qualifies to reply here under the guise of 'thinking of buying one' ... tomorrow actually.

I've seen a few advertised in the classifieds here over the last few weeks when domiciled in Australia, and have finally made it to Rayong at last, only yesterday afternoon, and just got gthe wifi account setup in these apartments around an hour ago...

... so before I go trudging off on a bus into Amphur Rayong in search of a reasonably neat and tidy 3-5 yo CBR150 for somewhere between 18-25,000 THB, I hope it's okay to post my little wanted ad here for the night, just in case there maybe someone between Chanthaburi and Chonburi/Chachoengsao/Bangkok (or better still around Rayong) that I might hop on a bus and go have a look at tomorrow.

I'm only on a tourist visa for these next five months, so I don't hold much hope of ever transferring the thing into my own name, but if there is five months registration left on the bike and I always carry the photocopies of the rego and receipt of purchase, I shouldn't have any trouble with using it, although I won't be able to sell it again in the same condition BECAUSE of the difficulty in transferring a vehicle to my name as a purchaser on a tourist visa.

So that's a major concern - it must be licenced. Off-topic, even more than the need to find one somewhere within walking or bussing distance (one day inc return is fair enough - Hua Hin is too far for me to catch a bus there and back).

If anyone should know of a CBR150 around the central/southeast region that's in fairly good nick, (might need tyres or chain etc - a few scratches no problem) and can be registered for the next five or six months, then please reply here in this thread, by PM, or call me on 08 6976 4018 before 9pm tonight or after 6am tomorrow.

Thanks and excuse me if this isn't quite intended as a place to put wanted-to-buy ads. I hope that if I am successful in picking up the model of bike I would hope to tomorrow, then I'll keep posting on how it performs over these next six months or so.

Thanks and excuse me if this isn't quite intended as a place to put wanted-to-buy ads. I hope that if I am successful in picking up the model of bike I would hope to tomorrow, then I'll keep posting on how it performs over these next six months or so.

As it turned out, I found something resemblant of a CBR150 yesterday in a shop in Maptaphut, although it wasn't until I went back in to take delivery this morning that I realised it was a CBR125 two-stroke with around 14,000 *** on the clock, although it looks like it has been left out in the weather for around the last five years.

Still a lot of research to do on what I just spent 25,000 THB on, but it rides like a model airplane with no wings and wooden tyres on rough gravel, I've already replaced the mirrors with a pair that I can actually see what's about to run me over in, the tacho seems to work out at around 6,000 rpm when I'm following traffic at what feels like around 95-100km/h although I'm going to have to have a look at the speedo cable and maybe buy a newie.

I can't say I'm all that happy with it just yet although it looks like it might pull the babes just sitting there in the carpark. Main point I wish to ask is, even though I'm 25cc short of the full displacement (both in my mind and the bike's engine capacity), now that I've shelled out every last satang I had for it and can't buy another one, am I eligible to join the owners' club?

PS: *** It just dawned on me that 14,000 must have been when the speedo cable broke, probably around 3 or 4 years ago. :)

dao01.jpg

Edited by SeanMoran

You paid 25,000b for a 2t Honda LS. jeeeeeezzzz they really DID see you coming didn't they. It's worth about 15,000thou MAX (CLOSER TO 12,000B).

Still at least you got wheels and made the shop keeper VERY HAPPY.

I hope you got the usual freebies the crap helmet,jacket etc.

DONT forget the 2t oil and DO NOT use gasahol.

Safe riding

You paid 25,000b for a 2t Honda LS. jeeeeeezzzz they really DID see you coming didn't they. It's worth about 15,000thou MAX (CLOSER TO 12,000B).

Safe riding

Oh well, mai pen rai. I did ask here the day before I promised to buy her, and no answers, and I caught seven buses all around Rayong and Maptaphut with all kinds of madness before I found a shop owned by some trustworthy people, and although the price was high, (I realise), I know already that the man and woman that run that shop are JAI DEE, and they will be sure to do the right thing by me throughout these short months that I own that old bike (name is Dao to go with the five-spoke mags like stars), and Mr Chalore already offered to pay back 16,500 on the 18,000 THB bike (sonic) I had been looking at all morning and agreed to buy for lack of anything else around, before I saw Dao as I was saying goodbye until they had time to get the rego sorted out.

I'd rather pay 25,000 to deal with good honest people than pay 12,500 to put up with ratbags, and they knew it, and I paid everything the asked, and even when Mrs Chalore told me that they would discount the 400 baht helmet to 300 baht, and I said 'NO! SEE ROI OKAY!' and they insisted. It costs more to deal with decent people but I won't get ripped off in the long run if I look after that bike and need a shop to buy her back when I have to leave Thailand. Too bad none of youse came up with a better idea yesterday, eh?

PS: I have decided not to join the owners' club, and I am 25cc short of qualifying anyway. Thanks for everything.

Edited by SeanMoran

Safe riding

Oh well, mai pen rai. I did ask here the day before I promised to buy her, and no answers, and I caught seven buses all around Rayong and Maptaphut with all kinds of madness before I found a shop owned by some trustworthy people, and although the price was high, (I realise), I know already that the man and woman that run that shop are JAI DEE, and they will be sure to do the right thing by me throughout these short months that I own that old bike (name is Dao to go with the five-spoke mags like stars), and Mr Chalore already offered to pay back 16,500 on the 18,000 THB bike (sonic) I had been looking at all morning and agreed to buy for lack of anything else around, before I saw Dao as I was saying goodbye until they had time to get the rego sorted out.

I'd rather pay 25,000 to deal with good honest people than pay 12,500 to put up with ratbags, and they knew it, and I paid everything the asked, and even when Mrs Chalore told me that they would discount the 400 baht helmet to 300 baht, and I said 'NO! SEE ROI OKAY!' and they insisted. It costs more to deal with decent people but I won't get ripped off in the long run if I look after that bike and need a shop to buy her back when I have to leave Thailand. Too bad none of youse came up with a better idea yesterday, eh?

Hmm. Are you making this up? What does this 'story' have todo with CBR's. This is thread dilution and a waste of bandwidth and (many) people's time. Everytime you post - we all get email notification - I find off-topic stories annoying. This belongs somehwere else.

My opinion only...and I don't desire to wage an online battle about it.

Hmm. Are you making this up? What does this 'story' have todo with CBR's. This is thread dilution and a waste of bandwidth and (many) people's time. Everytime you post - we all get email notification - I find off-topic stories annoying. This belongs somehwere else.

My opinion only...and I don't desire to wage an online battle about it.

Delete the lot then. I am sorry to have asked the wrong people to help me find a motorbike. I will not make the same mistake again.

I hope you at least read the bit that said DO NOT use Gasahol in your 2t motercycle, fairly certain way of destroying it. And if you knew they were honest i presume you have dealt with them before (or dont tell me you are a great judge of character). As for giving 1 days notice about asking where to buy a bike ....wells thats just crass.

Edited by thaicbr

I just bought a second hand CBR 150 in Chiang Mai and plowed through this thread looking at all the great info you guys have posted, it is great fun to see everyone enjoying their rides so much. The stock tires on the bike were pretty cracked on the sides and the back tire had a slow leak, so I needed to replace them. I went around a few shops looking at the dunlops and michelins recommended in here, but do not have 2-4 thousand baht to spend on tires right now. So after looking through the Thai CBR 150 forum i decided to go with the Dunlop TT900 which they recommended. The only place in town i could find to order them is Mae Kha right before Gat Luang on the right hand side. She had the front in stock and ordered me a rear from BKK. Total cost 1400 baht. The rubber feels a lot softer than the IRCs and it seems to be driving better,although a little hard to tell with tires as you only know when they fail you. Will keep you all updated on any issues I have with them.

...I decided to go with the Dunlop TT900 which they recommended. The only place in town i could find to order them is Mae Kha right before Gat Luang on the right hand side. She had the front in stock and ordered me a rear from BKK. Total cost 1400 baht. The rubber feels a lot softer than the IRCs and it seems to be driving better,although a little hard to tell with tires as you only know when they fail you. Will keep you all updated on any issues I have with them.
I loved my TT900 front; it was the most noticeable tire improvement ever.

I am going to go for the Michelin Sporty tyres. The next size up. Only got 600km and still running in. Do intend to do some serious touring on it. I have read all the reports on this forum and would like to say a BIG thankyou to all have posted as you have saved me alot of time and energy. After reading the posts here are the upgrades I plan, any thoughts or comments are always welcome:

At the moment it's a stock CBR

1. Replace the tyres with michelin sporty's the next size up.

2. Fit a rear hugger to stop all the crap flying up.

3. Fit a decent monoshock for better riding conditions.

4. Upgrade the lighting to 36 w plasma bulbs. 24 w depending if the electrical system can take the load.

5. Engine wise perhaps fit a 28mm carb along with an exhaust that will allow the engine to breath better.

6. An upgrade for the CDI unit with better plugs.

7. Possibly K and N air filters.

I don't want to increase the power substancially, though, the mods will give a couple more horses. My intention is to make it more rideable and rider friendly. Once these mods have been completed and proven succesful the final one will be:

8. Finding the right number of teeth for the rear sprocket.

What my idea is after fitting all the mods if I can remain sitting upright and red line in 6th or near as dammed close I will be happy. Perhaps fitting 2 teeth more so I may loose out on top end but acceleration will be improved. If I wanted to go 200 KM/Hr I would buy a bigger bike. I am thrilled to bits with the little CBR and to me is the ideal bike for LOS. I just want to improve on an already good machine. Back in the UK I am used to 600cc + bikes. My GSXR750K6 is in storage.

Any ideas from what I have found will find warm ears. Good luck to everybody and happy safe miles on your CBR'c.

Peace Blondie you sound a bit of a charactor!!

1. Replace the tyres with michelin sporty's the next size up.

2. Fit a rear hugger to stop all the crap flying up.

3. Fit a decent monoshock for better riding conditions.

4. Upgrade the lighting to 36 w plasma bulbs. 24 w depending if the electrical system can take the load.

5. Engine wise perhaps fit a 28mm carb along with an exhaust that will allow the engine to breath better.

6. An upgrade for the CDI unit with better plugs.

7. Possibly K and N air filters.

I don't want to increase the power substancially, though, the mods will give a couple more horses. My intention is to make it more rideable and rider friendly. Once these mods have been completed and proven succesful the final one will be:

8. Finding the right number of teeth for the rear sprocket.

What my idea is after fitting all the mods if I can remain sitting upright and red line in 6th or near as dammed close I will be happy. Perhaps fitting 2 teeth more so I may loose out on top end but acceleration will be improved.

Any ideas from what I have found will find warm ears. Good luck to everybody and happy safe miles on your CBR'c.

Peace Blondie you sound a bit of a character!!

Character? Whom, I? :)

I don't do many mods.

1. Tire upgrades when it wears out.

2. I have my own 'rear hugger,' thanks. :D

3. The stock monoshock is adequate.

4. A brighter bulb is good idea.

5. Carb and exhaust mods not worth the hassle, unless the stock carb/exhaust fails.

6 and 7 - no thanks. May not be worth the trouble, but I don't spend much on mods.

8. Will change sprocket for better acceleration when the chain wears out.

I don't mind leaning forward to get the last 10 kph, which may max out at 135.

We enjoy the machine.

good luck with the bike pgt99. My 2 satangs worth - change tyres (Michelin), header pipe, bulbs, maybe the plug and air filter (don't put a pod filter on). No need to change the carbie or ECU. The 47 tooth rear sprocket is nice, but not sure if you are better off sticking with the 44 if doing more long distant touring, anyway it doesn't cost much to change them around. I've put a Dexus gas rear shock on mine (from Akunar THB2300), it makes it a little more solid, but not too uncomfortable.

Thanx for the advice PeaceBlondie. Will take it onboard. back in LOS next Wednesday. 1st thing is jumping on my little baby and getting some KM on it. The girl friend will be a bit niffed as I will be having a piston between my legs and not her. She is getting replaced but my CBR isn't.

One mod which would definatley be a bonus which I failed to mention. A Scottoiler. It's a small tank of L.O. that has a pipe attached to the suction of the carb. As you open it up and the vacum increases it put an increasing amount of lube oil on your rear sprocket. A miniscule amount. It trebles the amount of chain life and adjustment periods. Being a bit dusty here it's ideal. I have one on my 750 back in the UK and has been a Godsend.

Happy and Safe riding.

One mod which would definatley be a bonus which I failed to mention. A Scottoiler. It's a small tank of L.O. that has a pipe attached to the suction of the carb. As you open it up and the vacum increases it put an increasing amount of lube oil on your rear sprocket. A miniscule amount. It trebles the amount of chain life and adjustment periods. Being a bit dusty here it's ideal. I have one on my 750 back in the UK and has been a Godsend.

Happy and Safe riding.

Just curious...what km would one expect from a chain in normal driving conditions on sealed roads?

Im replacing mine after only 5 months and 15,000km (seems a short life to me?) because very noisy and scared of breaking at speed and causing an accident. Better spend the 1000 B and be sure for my thinking. The chain has been well maintained/tensioned/ regulary oiled etc.

Hi, just bought a cbr 150cc last week but I have a small problem. There is a gasket in the carburettor that I believe needs replacing as it doesnt idle very smoothly. The shop I went to told me that they are unable to order it from Honda dealerships and maybe it was worth me upgrading the whole thing. So me, being the cynic I am, thought I would check with you knowledgeable guys about the availability of gaskets. Would it just be sensible for me to go to the Honda dealership and let them sort it all out.....Easy question I already know the answer for. Anyhow at least now I can say hi !

Actually, 1 more question. Thinking of getting a new exhaust. Any recommendations on brands and costs? Also what other good mods are there and how much roughly? I'm currently looking at getting a new paintjob too but have so far been quoted 3700 for 2 colours, is that reasonable?

Edited by benavenell

Turns out the mechanic lied about 1 thing. He said Honda Chachoengsao had no carb flange gasket things/needle/whatever it is called in stock and Honda Chonburi also. Actually they do as I have just bought one.

Well for sure... I wouldnt step foot in that mechanics shop again!!

Re changing chain.....Have a new chain and rear sprocket now. Huge difference in the smoothness of the bike again. U dont notice the vibrations creeping up slowly, but with the new chain, back to like new again. Expensive tho 2100 B (at Honda Dealer so genuine endless chain etc)

So my 2003 model is beginning to show a little age.

I am having to work a little harder to shift than before. especially downshifting. seems like the linkage is a bit out of line. It isn't a clutch thing, clutch is fine.

I am the original owner and the crank case has never been opened and I am wondering is there is some non invasive ways to determine my problem.

I sort of have the feeling that once it gets opened up new problems will begin to develop. I don't really trust the teenagers/20 somethings that typically are working in the bike shops.

Anyone have a recommendation for Honda service in Chiang Mai?

I am having to work a little harder to shift than before. especially downshifting. seems like the linkage is a bit out of line. It isn't a clutch thing, clutch is fine.

I am the original owner and the crank case has never been opened and I am wondering is there is some non invasive ways to determine my problem.

I sort of have the feeling that once it gets opened up new problems will begin to develop. I don't really trust the teenagers/20 somethings that typically are working in the bike shops.

I had a similar thing on my previous Bike. The gear linkages were worn and quite sloppy. I had the linkages replaced and seemed to overcome the problem. Cant remember the cost but stuff all in comparison to opening a can of worms (gear case) Not saying that is your problem, but sounds very similar.

Canuck... My bike seems to get "clunky" shifting about once a year. I take it to the Honda shop on Huay Gaew Road just west of Nimenhemin Road (on the left and before the Chiang Mai Hill Hotel) and they adjust the clutch and the linkages to resolve it. Always feels new when they are done. Ask for the mechanic named "Paitoom" (Also goes by "Khun Dum") as he knows CBR-150s. Take a Thai speaker with you as they don't always have an English speaker there.