Keeping old no. plate w/o new car

heiri007

As far as I know you can't just keep the number plate,   you can transfer the plate to another car  within the same province  so Bangkok to Bangkok or Chaingmai to Chaingmai  but not Bangkok to Chaingmai

You also cannot transfer from Motorcycle to car and visa versa..as per (old) normal  things may be different if you know "someone"  who arranges things for a monetary fee :shock1:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johng said:

As far as I know you can't just keep the number plate,   you can transfer the plate to another car  within the same province  so Bangkok to Bangkok or Chaingmai to Chaingmai  but not Bangkok to Chaingmai

You also cannot transfer from Motorcycle to car and visa versa..as per (old) normal  things may be different if you know "someone"  who arranges things for a monetary fee :shock1:

Thanks much. But I could sell the car to someone in another province? Let's say, my car is registered in Bangkok and I want to transfer the number plate to a new car registered in Bangkok. The buyer of the old car, however, has a registered home address in another province. The buyer is a tourist with a certificate of residency of his own condo.

3 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

Thanks much. But I could sell the car to someone in another province?

You can sell the car to whoever wants to buy it.

4 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

Let's say, my car is registered in Bangkok and I want to transfer the number plate to a new car registered in Bangkok.

Yes you can do that  you can swap the number plates...but it has to be done officially at the Department of Land Transportation and registered in the cars blue book.

The buyer of the old car, however, has a registered home address in another province. The buyer is a tourist with a certificate of residency of his own condo.

The buyer of the old car gets a new number plate in their province,so as far as I understand the process

If you want to keep the old number plate and use it on your new car  you have to transfer from the old car to the new car before selling it to someone else.

7 minutes ago, johng said:

The buyer of the old car gets a new number plate in their province,so as far as I understand the process

If you want to keep the old number plate and use it on your new car  you have to transfer from the old car to the new car before selling it to someone else.

Right, and we can all do that in Bangkok.

Yet that leads to the question: After transferring the number from the old car to the new one, the old car has no number. Will the buyer get a temporary number until the new number from his province is issued? 

After transferring the number from the old car to the new one, the old car has no number.

The old car gets the new cars number...if you sell old car to someone else in another province then they would have to get yet another new number plate...yes its a crazy system.

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

You can keep the plate for sure.  The wife has done it with her expensive collector plate numbers

Of course she can keep it and hang it on the wall. But keep it on hold and later on register it again with a new car? You'd certainly make my day if this is possible. ????