Golf and My Bad Back

ASEAN NOW Golf

Golf and My Bad Back

By Mike Bridge

Bad-Posture-Causes-Back-Pain-.jpg.95b9084d40b39d0abbc7d8cffddfd4f7.jpg

As we all know one of the main enemies for us golfers are keeping our bodies in good shape.

How many professionals spend hours with their physio just to make it to the tee next day!

Many of us often forgo the 30-minute warm up on the driving range, and rush out to play 18 holes. Result is our muscles tighten up and we are in pain.

Personally, most of my back problems start after I have been driving off the tee box, as I do not relax enough with my swing. Whatever it is the pain sometimes returns after the round.

Help is at Hand

So here in Pattaya I often survive by going to a physio in Pratamnak, once every three weeks, who gives my ultra sound and a deep massage. It tends to repair my old body, until I get back on the course.

But to be honest the best way I have found to prepare for a round of golf or to recover afterwards, is to head for the sauna.

My personal favorite in Pattaya where I live is the Jomtien Sauna, located off the second road on Soi Wat Boonkanjana. www.jomtiensauna.com

741850051_NowThatsARealIceBath.jpg.3a881cd968f02d3cffb4c8e39ba91226.jpg

Not only is their sauna the best in town, made from imported Finish wood, but their ice bath is also god send to ease those aching muscles. Sometimes the owners even pay for lumps of ice to be dumped in the bath.

They also have a 30 metre pool, steam room, jacuzzi plus some excellent fresh Thai food and BBQ. If you still need help try their massage who is used to muscle fatigue.

Perhaps the answer too is the next time I book a round of golf, to arrive early and spend some time slowly warming up on the golf range.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Perhaps the answer too is the next time I book a round of golf, to arrive early and spend some time slowly warming up on the golf range.

It would be but unfortunately many of the courses around the Pattaya area do not have ranges.......

Before Covid started remember going to Pattana early (range is 5 minute drive from main parking area) only to find that they had decided not to open it until 12.........

4 minutes ago, topt said:

It would be but unfortunately many of the courses around the Pattaya area do not have ranges.......

Before Covid started remember going to Pattana early (range is 5 minute drive from main parking area) only to find that they had decided not to open it until 12.........

Well I am sure you have seen Jimenez warm up ...you can also do some stretches for sure.

Its all those keep in Shape Look at Me Sports buggered my Back Up. From a Kid, Cycle Race, Rugby, Ski Jumping . First twinges at 55, now 75 and hurts like hell some Days. My same age Cums of Moderation were right. You will pay latter, and all from riding Bicycles looking like Bertie Basset.

I've had chronic osteoarthritis of the lower spine for over 40 years, thanks to chainsawing and lugging a lot of firewood around in my younger days.

The physiotherapy motto is use it or lose it. I play golf three times a week. Walk nine holes, or cart for 18.

I do 15 minutes of stretching exercises first thing in the morning, then 10 minutes of warmup with Paula.

A bit more stretching on the first tee, then a leg and back massage in the afternoon after the round.

Don't enjoy playing off the whites anymore, but I can give a good account of myself off the reds.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have played 10 courses around Pattaya and every one has a range.

On reflection you are correct and many do but these courses unfortunately don't -

Pleasant Valley

Mountain Shadow

Crystal Bay

Pattana - has but not opening until 12 in last high season makes it unusable before most rounds

Treasure Hill

Pattavia