Renewal of daughter's UK passport

I need to renew my daughters UK passport. Her present one is a childs, but her new one will be an adult passport. We live in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Do I need to hand-in the appilcation to VFS or can it be posted? Now for another stupid question! Can the new appication be submitted after the present passport has expired? The present passport expires in Oct, so we were planning to come up to BKK then and combine it with other things we need to do, but with the changes to the school year the hols won't be until Nov. I'm just trying to avoid extra flights!! By the way, she is dual nationality and has both Thai and UK passports.

Thanks ahead for any replies.

11 hours ago, danny42 said:

Now for another stupid question! Can the new appication be submitted after the present passport has expired? The present passport expires in Oct, so we were planning to come up to BKK then and combine it with other things we need to do, but with the changes to the school year the hols won't be until Nov. I'm just trying to avoid extra flights!! By the way, she is dual nationality and has both Thai and UK passports.

Thanks ahead for any replies

Just done for one of my kids very recently and it's a great time to do it as Trendy Building office is super quiet even allowing for them being only open 3 days per week. It was straight up in the lift, no queuing anywhere, served straight away - so maybe 5 people doing British passports or visas and no one was doing Aussie applications. 

My son's passport had expired by a week when I had my appointment but it's still a renewal.

Remember you have to show prove of any applicants place of residence in English, but as my son is under 16 i had to proof my address not him (used my Thai driving licence).

If you don't refer to your child being dual-nationality passport holder my experience is it doesn't come up in the interview, but if it does copy the Thai passport downstairs.

It's currently 4-6 weeks to receive the passport.

If you ask questions in your email when booking an appointment they are helpful with replies.

Unlike renewing a Thai passport currently (super quiet there too currently) who post it to you, you have to go collect the British passport I was told.

And if you like Vietnamese coffee the shop on the ground floor selling snooker and pool equipment sells it.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
3 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Just a couple of points to remember as your daughter also has a Thai passport;- HMPO now requires the name in both passports to be the same (probably is with a child, it wasn't when my wife was renewing hers) - and they will also want a full copy of the Thai passport.

Thanks, genuine question, why would they need a copy of a Thai passport?

I am just renewing a child 5 year passport. Never been used, but HMPO require colour copies of EVERY page in the passport. Seems totally stupid - Is there a logical explanation?  And furthermore what legal right do HMPO have to know which countries one has visited?

A copy of the bio page would seem to more than adequate

21 hours ago, sungod said:

Thanks, genuine question, why would they need a copy of a Thai passport?

You'd have to ask them, but I guess they perceive it as an anti-fraud measure, similarly the requirement to have the same name in each passport. Whatever the reason, when you come to apply for your daughter's passport you will see that these are actual requirements.

7 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I am just renewing a child 5 year passport. Never been used, but HMPO require colour copies of EVERY page in the passport. Seems totally stupid - Is there a logical explanation?  And furthermore what legal right do HMPO have to know which countries one has visited?

A copy of the bio page would seem to more than adequate

If you are applying in the UK, you have to send them your expiring passport, presumably to see whether it's been mucked about with in any way. We applicants in Thailand can't send them our passports, so the alternative is to send them a full copy. If you say that's not a particularly effective deterrent against fraud, I would agree with you, but that's their problem. I noticed when I was at Trendy at the end of last year, that the VFS clerk just counted the number of sheets of paper, no comparison made with the original. Presumably they send the copy to Liverpool to do whatever checks they want, but I don't think they're particularly interested in your travel history. I wonder what they do with all that paper?

Having some considerable experience of passport forgery, I would say that spotting anomalies from a photocopy is a mug's game. As I've said before, if we could apply online with an uploaded scan of the expiring passport it would probably be just as effective for their purposes and save us at least one trip to Trendy.