Are Drones Legal?

dddave

Thanks all for the info.  I hadn't bought a drone yet, figured check on the legalities first.

A friend was talking about buying one to use on his sizable farm in Chang Rai and that got me interested.  Unfortunately for me, I live in a very urban part of Bangkok and can't think of a single open area nearby where I could safely fly one.  

Just for fun and to get my toes wet, I'll probably buy one of the very cheap, palm sized "mini" drones that can be used indoors and at least give me a small taste of what flying them is like.

• Like 1

Is it still the case that registration is halted for foreigners?

I was thinking of buying one to document my building project, I probably still will .. I  gathered the insurance would have been around 3K and would have been happy to pay that and jump through hoops, but again TiT, if we can’t register it and I’m just using it on my land every other week, then why bother registering it? what are the chances of anyone enforcing it in the village of butfucnowhere. When will they ever learn? 

• Like 1

Get yourself a Mavic Mini, its a great starter drone and very easy to use. Do not fly it at 500ft with a mild breeze, there is a very good chance of it blowing away before you realize it is going. ( Dont ask me how I know)  The Mini takes very good photos and video and is very stable. Controls are intuitive but it takes a little practice to be proficient.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 3STTW said:

A couple of other details;

1. There are strict limitations/rules about how and where you can fly your drone, penalties non-compliance are pretty nasty. There's a succinct infographic on the CAAT website.

2. Before registration you will need the mandatory 1M Baht insurance and the premiums are outrageous - obviously targeting farangs. The insurance is essentially public liability cover but if you are complying with the rules it would be almost impossible to do a million Baht's worth of damage to anything. Basically yet another Thai rip-off - and it's one policy per drone, I have four so I'm looking at 20k in premiums this year.

3. When you apply for the insurance they will ask for the receipt and, if you bought the drones outside TH, the customs tax/duty payment receipt.

4. For the registration you need to have a permanent Thai address (ruling out tourists under non-Covid circumstances).

5. My last application took three months, so don't go holding your breath!

I bought my Mavic 2 in Europe so when I like to register first I have to pay customs and tax duty???? No way.

I have been to the CAAT in Hua-hin the officer in charge signed a paper that it is allowed to fly, only he warning me...not  to fly in the vicinity of the airport, ha, ha, ha.

Of course I am aware this is not possible, but it happens. TIT

• Like 1