Lactaid Milk Or Other Brands

BlackArtemis

Hey everyone, My wife and I are both lactose intolerant, while I would just put off my cereal cravings until I return to the states my wife and I recieved news she is pregnant.

Soooo now she has to drink milk and it isn't going well, so I was wondering if there are any milks for lactose intolerant people.

Thanks for any help!

Also note there's a lot of soy milk products around, some even with less insane levels of sugar. :o Also the fresh soy milk from road-side vendors can be ordered with less/no sugar syrup.

Or as an alternative to drinking milk, there's also calcium pills and other pills. Her doctor will happily prescribe whole bags of them. :D

and... CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

Cheers

Chanchao

Yeah, congratulations!

I also suffer from this. Major bummer because I love cheese.

Were you aware that YOGHURT has almost zero lactose, and supplies all the calcium she might need?

The worst in terms of high lactose are the hard cheeses (sharp cheddar, etc.)

You can get lastase enzyme pills that allow you to digest milk products without discomfort, but I haven't seen them available in Thailand.

And I wouldn't recommend your wife taking any supplements without clearance from her doctor.

Again, Congratulations! :o

Edited by mcgriffith

We have been looking for the same solution for the past two year. No luck. Most of the soy alternatives are sweetened or flavoured which is not what we are looking for.

Strangely though, while milk still upsets us, it's not nearly as bad as in my home country. I don't know if I'm imagining this or not. If you find anything though, make sure to let us know on the forum.

You can purchase dried soy powder for making your own milk. We mix with cold water and bring to the boil before consuming. This contains no sugar.

I think we buy it from TOPS, but it could be either Rimping or Tesco. Sorry, I can't remember.

Thanks all for the congrats.

She is eating yogurt and it is treating her body fine. I have a few bottles of Lactaid pills here in LOS because I like ice cream and cheese too, but I have yet to discuss this with a doctor, and as suggested earlier don't take supplements until you talk to the doctor.

Out Doctor said the best three choices are Pasteurized milk, then sterilized, and then powdered supplements. I shall ask about soy milk and calcium pills.

I talked to my mother and she suggested goats milk, so we milk pursue that idea too.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hey everyone, My wife and I are both lactose intolerant, while I would just put off my cereal cravings until I return to the states my wife and I recieved news she is pregnant.

Soooo now she has to drink milk and it isn't going well, so I was wondering if there are any milks for lactose intolerant people.

Thanks for any help!

A big congratulations to you and your wife with the new-comer! :o

Nienke