Which Thai Bank Allows International Wire Transfer to Non-SWIFT US Bank (NFCU)?

Hello all

im trying to transfer back money to the US, specifically my Navy Federal Credit Union NFCU, bank account. 

(Thailand to USA)

Bangkok Bank refuses to transfer because NFCU doesn’t have a SWIFT number. I was told to call NFCU and get their correspondent bank info. NFCU told me Bangkok Bank, the sender, sets the correspondent bank. I told this to Bangkok Bank both phone and in branch and again NFCU sets the correspondent bank. So they can’t transfer unless I have it. So I said Chase, use Chase as the correspondent. But get this, Bangkok Bank said they still can’t do the transfer because they’re afraid Chase doesn’t know my “small bank” NFCU!

Does anyone know of any other Thai bank that can do the transfer especially a non-SWIFT US credit union??

49 minutes ago, ShindenGo said:

Bangkok Bank refuses to transfer because NFCU doesn’t have a SWIFT number.

This blurb was found on banks-america (dot) com

How to receive International Wire Transfers when Navy Federal Credit Union doesn't have a Swift Code?

Don't worry! You can still receive international wire transfers. Sender's international financial institution should have a correspondent bank in the US (which acts as an intermediary bank) to which they can wire the money and then intermediary bank will send the money domestically (within USA) using aba routing numbers of Navy Federal Credit Union. You can find the Routing Number for Navy Federal Credit Union here. Note that most international wire transfers involve a fees. Please clarify with your financial institution about the total fees (sending bank + correspondent bank) before you initiate the transfer.

Alternatively, you can also use money transfer services like TransferWise for getting best currency conversion rates with lower wire transfer fees and with no requirement of a swift code. This method can be used only for transfers upto $30,000.

This is the info transferwise.com has on NFCU

TransferWise Swift/BIC Search Navy Federal Credit Union

...though you may wish to use the standard TransferWise methods to ensure hassle-free handling. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

This blurb was found on banks-america (dot) com

How to receive International Wire Transfers when Navy Federal Credit Union doesn't have a Swift Code?

Don't worry! You can still receive international wire transfers. Sender's international financial institution should have a correspondent bank in the US (which acts as an intermediary bank) to which they can wire the money and then intermediary bank will send the money domestically (within USA) using aba routing numbers of Navy Federal Credit Union. You can find the Routing Number for Navy Federal Credit Union here. Note that most international wire transfers involve a fees. Please clarify with your financial institution about the total fees (sending bank + correspondent bank) before you initiate the transfer.

Alternatively, you can also use money transfer services like TransferWise for getting best currency conversion rates with lower wire transfer fees and with no requirement of a swift code. This method can be used only for transfers upto $30,000.

This is the info transferwise.com has on NFCU

TransferWise Swift/BIC Search Navy Federal Credit Union

...though you may wish to use the standard TransferWise methods to ensure hassle-free handling. 

I really wish transferwise allowed transfers from Thailand but to US. 

but Bangkok Bank is still refusing to transfer unless I provide a correspondent bank that satisfies their requirements:

1. Bangkok Bank knows the correspondent bank

2. NFCU knows the correspondent bank

3. Correspondent bank knows NFCU

4. I somehow obtain the info and give it to Bangkok Bank. 

Have you looked at DeeMoney

My Experience Using DeeMoney
By Pib, November 11, 2018 in Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments

DeeMoney 101: How Does It Work and Is It Secure?
By ThaivisaSales, April 2, 2019 in Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments

Transfers to the UK and US now available through DeeMoney
By DeeMoney, December 24, 2019 in Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments

27 minutes ago, ShindenGo said:

but Bangkok Bank is still refusing to transfer unless I provide a correspondent bank that satisfies their requirements:

1. Bangkok Bank knows the correspondent bank

2. NFCU knows the correspondent bank

3. Correspondent bank knows NFCU

4. I somehow obtain the info and give it to Bangkok Bank. 

Very odd.

From what I've heard the sender’s international financial institution (Bangkok Bank, Thailand) will have a corresponding bank in the U.S. they can wire to, which will forward the funds to Navy Federal Credit Union via domestic transfer using routing number.

Maybe you should inquire at another BBK branch and see if *someone else* can assist you.

We used SCB to transfer money to our daughter who was on high school exchange in the US, and her account was with a credit union. The Credit Union did not have a SWIFT code and the SCB do not have a correspondent bank in the US, so they used the HSBC bank that my UK bank uses as the correspondent bank. As long as the bank knows where the money is going, it’s fine.

18 hours ago, RichCor said:

Very odd.

From what I've heard the sender’s international financial institution (Bangkok Bank, Thailand) will have a corresponding bank in the U.S. they can wire to, which will forward the funds to Navy Federal Credit Union via domestic transfer using routing number.

Maybe you should inquire at another BBK branch and see if *someone else* can assist you.

I'm sure some "wise" person will have a better idea than this,  but here is what I have done.

This is all B.S. and an unnecessary Pain in the Ass!  Wells Fargo and Bangkok bank have a relationship that used to work just fine until this "IAT"Format came along.  I could transfer money from my Wells Fargo account to Bangkok Bank in about five seconds. 

Now, because I haven't lived in the U.S. for fifteen years and don't want to bother the few people in the U.S. that could possibly pretend to be me in order to get a U.S. Telephone number, I have resorted to getting cash advances on my two U.S. credit cards and then paying them off right away.....not cheap but fast with absolutely no hassle.  Both my credit cards have $15,000 max and I can draw $3,000 on one and $4,500 on the other.  That gives me enough baht for about six months living expenses.  We buy gold in 5 baht bars so I use this method to get the cash for that......Gold shops won't take credit cards for baht purchases.

Brits can easily use Transferwise, but for me it's a no go because of the requirement for a phone number.....plus I'm not comfortable using a British company, a Thai Bank and a U.S. Bank to get a simple money transfer from one of my accounts to the other.  

I tried writing a check on my U.S. Wells Fargo account and depositing it directly to Bangkok Bank....worked great the first time, but on the second try it got held up when it got to the U.S. (where I only have an account with no Branch I.D,) No-one in the U.S. could I.D. me so it ended up with someone in a branch very near where we used to live agreeing by telephone to help me out and "identify" me...... it is the least expensive alternative and you can get as much $$ as you want.  Just don't expect it to be time sensitive.

I hope this helps any U.S. persons that are in a pickle with this problem.  If you think I'm an idiot please be specific in your reply as to what you think I should do differently.

OP, maybe you can send them a check?

2 hours ago, TGIR said:

Brits can easily use Transferwise, but for me it's a no go because of the requirement for a phone number.....plus I'm not comfortable using a British company, a Thai Bank and a U.S. Bank to get a simple money transfer from one of my accounts to the other.  

You can register with Thai address, and phone number can be from any country. TransferWise makes life much easier.

36 minutes ago, redpill17 said:

OP, maybe you can send them a check?

You can register with Thai address, and phone number can be from any country. TransferWise makes life much easier.

Are you saying you can send money from Thailand to the US with Transferwise?

35 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Are you saying you can send money from Thailand to the US with Transferwise?

No, at least not at the moment. I'm just saying there's no need for UK address and phone number for someone with UK passport to use it. Same goes for other nationalities. Bank statement or Internet bill is enough to verify an address in Thailand.

redpill17, you didn't read my post.......I am talking about transferring money from California to Thailand.  I did write them a check, in fact I wrote them two checks.  The first one worked perfectly and took 31 days to clear......the second one ended up in the boonies and I had to chase it around for a week......so yes, it can work, but it can also be a big pain in the rear.

5 minutes ago, TGIR said:

redpill17, you didn't read my post.......I am talking about transferring money from California to Thailand.  I did write them a check, in fact I wrote them two checks.  The first one worked perfectly and took 31 days to clear......the second one ended up in the boonies and I had to chase it around for a week......so yes, it can work, but it can also be a big pain in the rear.

I've suggested the check for original poster to send money from Thai bank to US bank without a SWIFT code.

You've mentioned you can't use TransferWise because of phone number requirement, but in fact you can use any supported number - doesn't have to be from the US. Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

I was able to transfer $50,000 and close my Bangkok Bank account in 2018 at the main Pattaya branch.

Also was able to transfer funds back to US prior.  They required on the form used for the transfer a Routing Number not a SWIFTCODE.  Possible that has changed, but also as suggested try another branch.

6 hours ago, Thaigreg said:

I was able to transfer $50,000 and close my Bangkok Bank account in 2018 at the main Pattaya branch.

Also was able to transfer funds back to US prior.  They required on the form used for the transfer a Routing Number not a SWIFTCODE.  Possible that has changed, but also as suggested try another branch.

Thanks for info. I’ll definitely try another branch. The one I went was in Paragon, thinking that must have dealt with foreigners trying to get their money out of Thailand. I used to work in Japan and transferring my money out to non-swift US bank was easy exactly as you mentioned above. But this Bangkok Bank, infuriatingly refused to do a transfer unless I provide them a correspondent bank that knows my credit union.