Thai Tourism Growing, With High-end Emphasis

george

Thai tourism growing, with high-end emphasis

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Ministry of Sports and Tourism is satisfied with the number of high-end foreign tourists who have come to the kingdom during the past six months as they generated more than Bt150 billion for the Thai ecomomy, according to Sports and Tourism Minister Dr. Suvit Yodmanee.

Announcing the ministry's performance during the past six months, Dr Suvit said the tourism sector in Thailand had enjoyed significant growth particularly the first quarter of this year.

"During Janurary-March, inbound foreign tourism grew 4.57 per cent compared with the same period last year, generating income 11 per cent more than last year or around Bt150,000 million," he said.

He attributed the success of the tourism industry expansion to the cooperation among agencies within and outside the Ministry of Sports and Tourism.

The market sectors that enjoyed the stongest growth were Europe, Oceania, South Asia, and South Africa. The Middle East, in particular, saw an increased number of tourists, rising slightly over 30 per cent compared to the same period last year, he said.

The Ministry expects to hold a road-show in Dubai as it is considered a high potential market, said the minister.

However, he admitted that the number of visitors from some countries had sharply declined, including Singapore, China, Japan and South Korea declining by 16, 24, 7.4 and almost 3 per cent respectively.

Meanwhile, the tourists from France, Germany, Russia, Sweden and Australia rose by 29, 5, 42, 14 and 13.5 per cent respectively, he said.

Dr. Suvit said the major successful projects are the campaigns promoting the celebration of His Majesty the King's 80th birthday on December 5, 2007, setting up a one-stop service coordination centre for foreign production companies wanting to film in the country, improve the tourist assistance centre at Suvarnabhumi Airport, stepping up security measures for foreign tourists, and promotion of Thais travelling in their own country.

During the next six months, Dr. Suvit said, the ministry would further penetrate the high-end tourist market, improve the quality of tourist attractions, services, facilities to serve this group of tourists in particular.

"High-end tourists are quality tourists," the minister said, indicating that "the ministry will not focus on quantity but on the quality of visitors."

--TNA 2007-04-27

"High-end tourists are quality tourists," the minister said, indicating that "the ministry will not focus on quantity but on the quality of visitors."

What makes the amount of money that one spends a designator for their quality.

During the next six months, Dr. Suvit said, the ministry would further penetrate the high-end tourist market, improve the quality of tourist attractions, services, facilities to serve this group of tourists in particular.

Has anyone ever seen a tourist attraction's quality improved? How is this done. Might the government actually clean up the beaches in Pattaya?

What about improving the infrastructure between the tourist attractions. High quality tourists don't like hitting their heads on eletric wires on the streets or putting their feet into the holes in the sidewalks.

Yesterday I saw BBC's Asia business desk discussing Thai tourism. The anchor was surprised that Thailand was still the top tourist destination in Asia despite BBC's consistent negative reporting about the coup, political turmoil, instability, muslim insurgency, bombings - the usual scaremonegiring.

The guy from Visa International who sponsored the survey simply dismissed him. He said that people don't care, they want a friendly, easy to travel, exotic country, and so Thailand is the top of their list.

The anchor then changed the tactic - what about appreciating baht? The asnwer was the same - people don't care.

He then asked about his favorite, politically correct destinations - Hong Kong and Singapore, surely they have very high tourist numbers but were fairly low in the survey. The answer was that those are places for stopovers, they are not tourist destinations per se. The example was of people going to Beijing Olympics next year - many would pass through Hong Kong (or Singapore).

Edited by Plus

The anchor then changed the tactic - what about appreciating baht? The asnwer was the same - people don't care.

Ah yes, this old chestnut again.

I was surprised that the anchor had not done her home work better.

The strengthening baht only applies if you come from the US and

in fact is the declining US$.

For someone from the UK you will still get a solid 69baht for your pound

just as you have for the last 3-4 years.

Yesterday I saw BBC's Asia business desk discussing Thai tourism. The anchor was surprised that Thailand was still the top tourist destination in Asia despite BBC's consistent negative reporting about the coup, political turmoil, instability, muslim insurgency, bombings - the usual scaremonegiring.

The guy from Visa International who sponsored the survey simply dismissed him. He said that people don't care, they want a friendly, easy to travel, exotic country, and so Thailand is the top of their list.

He then asked about his favorite, politically correct destinations - Hong Kong and Singapore, surely they have very high tourist numbers but were fairly low in the survey. The answer was that those are places for stopovers, they are not tourist destinations per se. The example was of people going to Beijing Olympics next year - many would pass through Hong Kong (or Singapore).

I didn't see the programme but from what you say the BBC Asia business desk was off the mark.However the negative reporting on Thailand has not just come from the BBC but from most international news agencies.Jonathan Head, the BBC man in Bangkok, seems fair and balanced.

I'm not sure what it is meant by politically correct destinations.It's easier to understand politically incorrect destinations of which Burma is the prime example.It would be absurd to place Thailand in this latter category.I'm in close contact with travel industry sources in the UK and my clear understanding is that recent political events in Thailand have barely registered with the important British market.It's business as usual.Interestingly my sources tell me that Thailand's big tourist challenge is to halt the relentless down market drift which is now actively deterring the A/B segment (ie well off,well educated, upper and upper middle class).This is in line with current government policy.I think it will be difficult.Pattaya is already intolerable and Hua Hin is increasingly popular with the tattoed brigade.

Until they make a tourist visa for the "quality tourist" it will be impossible to tell who is a "quality tourist" and who is a "low end tourist".

I'm sure the low end tourist bring in a lot of money to Thailand's economy as well. Not only that, low end tourist often become quality tourist later on down the line.

I guess Sports and Tourism Minister Dr. Suvit Yodmanee, is trying to emulate how Thailand treats it's own people with regards to "quality citizens" and "low end citizens". When it comes to taking care of their own citizens, it is the quality of the Thai citizen that is important and not the quanity.

Until they make a tourist visa for the "quality tourist" it will be impossible to tell who is a "quality tourist" and who is a "low end tourist".

I'm sure the low end tourist bring in a lot of money to Thailand's economy as well. Not only that, low end tourist often become quality tourist later on down the line.

If you mean by low end, gap year students and young educated backpackers, I would fully agree.In fact some of the more fashionable spots in Asia and elsewhere, formerly cheap and cheerful, were trail blazed in the past by this kind of young person.I suppose many of them now are lecturers, bankers, lawyers,academics etc who may well return to Thailand as high spenders.But personally I don't think quality tourism relates just to income but to attitude.

What I mean by low end, and what I am reliably informed is now a real perception problem for Thailand, is the very large naff and yobbish foreign element that can be found here.

The "Quality (rich) Tourist" spends money at upscale venues owned in one way or another by the powerful elite and their families. The foreign rabble spend money at street stalls, night markets, guesthouses, and other places that only benefit the local rabble. That's the whole quality tourist business in a nutshell.

Edited by cdnvic

The "Quality (rich) Tourist" spends money at upscale venues owned in one way or another by the powerful elite and their families. The foreign rabble spend money at street stalls, night markets, guesthouses, and other places that only benefit the local rabble. That's the whole quality tourist business in a nutshell.

:o:D :D

Promoting Thailand as a destination for "quality" tourist is great but they do expect some quality in the services at the destination.

How many of these "quality" types enjoy being hustled by the baht bus mafia when visiting the beach resorts I wonder?

The only option in Phuket is to rent a car or be subjected to the devious tactics of the rude, disrespctfull, baht bus cheats.

People with money don't enjoy being cheated all day and driven around in the back of a truck.

Agreed?

Promoting Thailand as a destination for "quality" tourist is great but they do expect some quality in the services at the destination.

How many of these "quality" types enjoy being hustled by the baht bus mafia when visiting the beach resorts I wonder?

The only option in Phuket is to rent a car or be subjected to the devious tactics of the rude, disrespctfull, baht bus cheats.

People with money don't enjoy being cheated all day and driven around in the back of a truck.

Agreed?

Umm, in a word, no.

There is no Baht bus here in Phuket, that's Pattaya Skipper. Tuk tuks (that would be those red things with wheels) charge rates all about the same: negotiate, TIT. There is a 'Patong Beach - Phuket Town' bus that is 20 Baht straight up (no BS and no ripoffs) Renting a car has always been the way to go here if you want to get out and see the REAL good stuff, has nothing to do with anyone cheating. Actually the vast percentage of independent tourists rent motorbikes.

Comprehension of the upscale tourist inflation statistic is simple: Travel agents in the Western European sector are selling super low discounted Air/Hotel packages to old people, the oldsters think they are going off to a big romantic adventure but end up in isolated 3 star hotels in Chiang Mai and Hua Hin. The Thai govt. doesn't care about the how or why, they just care about the stats.

:o If you guys don't do your homework here, why should the Thais? Heh. :D

how on earth do they know what a tourist is spending here ?

I read and I wonder what these people in office will dream up next.

JR Texas: First, only a sucker would believe official statistics. Second, to derive an estimate of quality tourists (very sick phrase), I think they are using the arrival card that you fill out prior to entering Thailand. On it, it specifically asks that you state your income.

The problem is that virtually all foreigners find such a question rude and intrusive, so they just make something up....sometimes checking a higher figure and sometimes a lower figure (sometimes not checking it at all). Bottom line: they are making judgments based on flawed data.

As an aside, the number of high-income tourists is very limited in comparison to the number of low-to-middle-income tourists. This is true worldwide and relates to the simple fact that most people are not rich. A sane policy would welcome both categories of tourists as each tends to spend money in different locations. Also, my guess is that the low-income tourists stay longer than the high income tourist and probably, in the long run, spend more money. Certainly, because they far outnumber the rich tourists, they spend more money.

And about those pesky backpackers on Khao San Road..........most are "hippie" like youngsters (same as we were back in the 60s and 70s). And many are from middle-class to wealthy families. After being discriminated against in Thailand, do you think they will have anything positive to say about the place to their well-healed parents and country-club friends when they return?

It is stupid to generate and use terms like "quality tourists" (very offensive to most foreigners whether they are rich or poor) and to proclaim to the rest of the world that those that are not rich are not welcome in the Kingdom. Mindless stupidity...........just plain wrong.....and, oddly, totally against the tenants of Buddhism.

As we all know, rich people (the quality people) in Thailand are good and poor people are bad. Right? Even recent history shows us that rich people are good....can you say Thaksin? :o:D :D :D Will they ever wake up and smell the coffee?

JR's right on this one ,

the adjective quality should not be applied to the noun tourist with such a broad brush as you insult the majority and cause them to lose face ... :D

quality

noun

A distinctive element: attribute, character, characteristic, feature, mark, peculiarity, property, savor, trait. See be.

A level of superiority that is usually high: caliber, merit, stature, value, virtue, worth. See good/bad, value/worthlessness/evaluation.

High style in quality, manner, or dress: refinement. Informal class. See style/good style/bad style.

Degree of excellence: caliber, class, grade. See be, value/worthlessness/evaluation.

People of the highest social level: aristocracy, blue blood, crème de la crème, elite, flower, gentility, gentry, nobility, patriciate, society, upper class, who's who. Informal upper crust.

adjective

Exceptionally good of its kind: ace, banner, blue-ribbon, brag, capital, champion, excellent, fine1, first-class, first-rate, prime, splendid, superb, superior, terrific, tiptop, top. Informal A-one, bully, dandy, great, swell, topflight, topnotch. Slang boss. Chiefly British tophole.

:D

:o

Don't forget, this emphasis on quality tourists provides a ready-made excuse for the powers-that-be when the arrivals numbers start dropping due to the increasing number of negatives: less thirty-day entrants due to visa hassles; baht exchange rate; bombings in the South; etc. It the arrivals numbers drop, those in charge can simply claim "but of course the numbers are lower, we are now focusing on quality tourists!"

As bad as this sounds, it does give me hope. It gives me hope that my dollar will always buy a fair share of baht.

This is due to the morons running the country. Their lack of foresight, their stupid statements and misguided goals helps keep Thailand on the low end of the social economic ladder of success.

Sure the dollar sucks against the baht but it would be a lot worse if smart people were in charge of Thailand.

So I welcome the rule of the morons. It is them who helps me to live comfortably in Thailand.

Thailand has every right to aim for better quality tourists.

It would be strange if the Thai government wouldn't!

I have the feeling Thailand has achieved a lot over the years.

Just look at the upgrading of Khao San Road. It's become more expensive to get a room there.

The guesthouses look much better and have better services. Even my old fooks loved it!

Thailand has a lot to offer and should sell itself as a world class tourist destination, because it is.

I sometimes think that us expats forget how nice it was the first time we came here.

Why did we come back and are we trying to settle here?

Just look at the upgrading of Khao San Road. It's become more expensive to get a room there.

The guesthouses look much better and have better services. Even my old fooks loved it!

Ahhh yes, quality and money do go hand and hand.

I guess all those quality tourist I see at the Marriot screaming at the top of thier lungs to the frightend Thai girls are indeed quality. They did spend a lot of money they must be aces. :D

I would guess that poor young backpackers should look else where to start thier world escursions. None of them come back with fond memories and a larger bank account do they? :o

Ahhh yes, quality and money do go hand and hand.

I guess all those quality tourist I see at the Marriot screaming at the top of thier lungs to the frightend Thai girls are indeed quality. They did spend a lot of money they must be aces. :D

I would guess that poor young backpackers should look else where to start thier world escursions. None of them come back with fond memories and a larger bank account do they? :o

What's your point?

Ok I'll spell it out for you, seems sarchasim escapes.

How do making things more expensive increase the quality of the experience? If Khoa San becomes to expensive then the younger people go elsewhere say Goa.

If this happens they may be less likley to return(because they never came) so they will not asociate Thailand with a positive experiense. When theese people have more disposable income they may spend it else where.

Thailand should concern itself with being a quality tourist destination regardless of price.

People will spend more when they feel comfortable and safe.

I actually think that the current increase in violence, agression to outside investment, anti-western sentiment will only result in the type of tourist they don't want.

D you really think a hard core sex-tourist care two wits about economic stability, violence, or service. They(sex tourist) come for only one reason and Thailand has an abundance of this (uh hmm women)Thailand could do with a lot more improvement in the latter.

Ok I'll spell it out for you, seems sarchasim escapes.

How do making things more expensive increase the quality of the experience? If Khoa San becomes to expensive then the younger people go elsewhere say Goa.

If this happens they may be less likley to return(because they never came) so they will not asociate Thailand with a positive experiense. When theese people have more disposable income they may spend it else where.

Thailand should concern itself with being a quality tourist destination regardless of price.

People will spend more when they feel comfortable and safe.

I actually think that the current increase in violence, agression to outside investment, anti-western sentiment will only result in the type of tourist they don't want.

D you really think a hard core sex-tourist care two wits about economic stability, violence, or service. They(sex tourist) come for only one reason and Thailand has an abundance of this (uh hmm women)Thailand could do with a lot more improvement in the latter.

You mean more and more beautiful girls?

And your right .......... sarcasm rules!

This seems like a bit of a tempest in a teapot.

I suspect that the Thais are just trying to get more money without letting the place get overrun by vast hordes of tourists. The last time I was in Samui, it seemed pretty built out to me. Pretty soon they're gonna kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

I think cdnvic had a pretty good point though, how are regular Thai folks going to benefit from this policy? Probly not at all.

Thai tourism growing, with high-end emphasis

1. During the next six months, Dr. Suvit said, the ministry would further penetrate the high-end tourist market, improve the quality of tourist attractions, services, facilities to serve this group of tourists in particular.

2. "High-end tourists are quality tourists," the minister said, indicating that "the ministry will not focus on quantity but on the quality of visitors."

1. I'm interested to learn what exactly the Ministry will do to 'penetrate' the high-end market and improve the quality of tourist attractions, services ( :D ) etc.

2. Would like to see a definition what a 'High-end' tourist is, making him/her a 'Quality tourist' at the same time. Meaning: a big spender is by definition a Quality tourist ? :D

3. Does it make me a Quality tourist when I pay 5 or 10K Baht per night ? Which I did on many occasions, visiting Thailand. But I also paid 700/1000 Baht per night; so when I do, I'm no longer a Quality tourist ? :D

4. I like Thailand as a tourist destination as it is, and yes, I do believe there are more high-end tourists coming to LOS, visiting and staying in 5* hotels and Spa's/health institutes (friends of mine are doing that at this very moment...); but does that make them Quality tourists ?

5. People with real big bucks will, sometimes, visit Thailand, yes. But Thailand is still far away from the real rich-and-famous destinations around the world and still has to improve their facilities and safety (!) a LOT for their High-End tourists, whether Quality tourists or not.

I can't think of any location in LOS where 'normal' tourists can sit and sip a drink, gasping at the @sses of Mega Yachts like in the Mediterranea or Caribbean, Florida and the like.

But hey, I might be wrong.

LaoPo :o

If a Government in a not yet fully developed country was serving It's people, they would welcome a broad brush range of tourists, as solely " high end" would almost inevitably spend their " high end cash " in properties owned by a few members of a ruling elite. Mom and Pop stores, guest houses , restaurants etc would not get a look-in and the wealth gap would grow ever larger, unless you wished your offspring a life of servitude serving the " high enders" or the "upper crust" who are benefiting.

Thank G-od Thailand is not like that.