New Brit Laws

:o This post is just for info; feel free to comment though, my mate was considering retiring to Thailand, which is great, but if your legitimate Thai wife with Brit passport leaves the UK for any more than six months they can't re-enter. Seems they keep changing the law & policies every five minutes, however, I have not checked this out yet to see if it is actual fact, but it would not surprise me.

If you live in London and have an EU country visa it costs nothing to bring your thai wife back to the UK. Where as if you are a brit, you do have to pay a whole load of cash, then have to return for the interview up to a month later. It has taken me almost four years just to get various visa's, however it was not straight forward as I met my wife in london, following a trip to Thailand, but I would have been just as well meeting her in Thailand. :D

Maybe you should post this in the immigration section Mick. Sounds really crazy to me, if she holds a brit passport, she must be a brit citizen and have all the rights afforded to one.

This doesn't sound right at all Bronco. In the lead up to citizenship, something like this might be true, but once citizenship and a passport has issued, that should be the end of it. Any rule like that would be discriminatory.

Maybe you should post this in the immigration section Mick. Sounds really crazy to me, if she holds a brit passport, she must be a brit citizen and have all the rights afforded to one.

This doesn't sound right at all Bronco. In the lead up to citizenship, something like this might be true, but once citizenship and a passport has issued, that should be the end of it. Any rule like that would be discriminatory.

You're talking about Britain, Doc.

Remember before 1997 the gov't would not issue passports to HK citizens who had been under British Protectorate for generations, but they still accept all the benefit-scammers from Afghanistan, Nigeria and the Balkans.

The late Enoch Powell was on the right bus then. A bloody pity. The British National sport, is spot the pommy in Piccadilly at high noon any day of the week.

Simple - he's driving the old battered taxi.

And Enoch was very mis-understood - he was warning the nation about what would happen if the policies then current were followed for the next few generations. He was wrong - in some ways. But I doubt that he could foresee the influx of benefit scammers that has happened in the last ten years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

that cant be right .once you have a british passport ( and therefore citizenship) ,you could not be refused re-entry. how the ###### could they enforce a law like that in a country as multi cultural as blighty ?? there must be millions of foreign born citizens . maybe refering to people with the right of abode ,surely not citizens :o i certainly hope not as i havnt lived there for 15 years ,but its nice to go and see me old mam now and again :D

that cant be right .once you have a british passport ( and therefore citizenship) ,you could not be refused re-entry. how the ###### could they enforce a law like that in a country as multi cultural as blighty ?? there must be millions of foreign born citizens . maybe refering to people with the right of abode ,surely not citizens :o i certainly hope not as i havnt lived there for 15 years ,but its nice to go and see me old mam now and again :D

I am certain that you are 100 per cent correct possum. Absolutely :D

Think it through Mick. When you exit UK do the Immigration stamp your UK PP? No. When you enter UK on your UK PP, do the Immigration stamp it? No. So, who calculates how long you have been out of the country?

My wife (Thai) has dual nationalty with UK PP for over 25 years. Because I work abroad we visit UK only every 12 to 24 months and have never had a problem. Her PP has rarely been stamped because, although she uses it in Europe cross border, she uses her Thai to exit reenter my host country.

I think that the tale of revoking PP after 6m is a crock of xxxx as our Antipodean colleagues would say.

Peter :o

Load of old billhooks :o

Also biggest SS scroungers in this neck of the woods are called Brits :D

You got it Rinrada. But there's always got to be a convenient scapegoat, for one's own shortcomings and angst, huh? And if it ain't benefit-scammers from Afghanistan, then it's bloody southerners buying up all the local houses. Should just stop people from traveling all together would solve the mess, I say.

Mind you, Mick Dundee? Sounds like a Tayside pom who got lost in Queensland, found fame wrestling crocs and not giving a 4 X for any other lager, before the troppo sun and Foster's went to his head and ended up in Hollywood, where everyone can have their 15 mins of fame (but not neccessarily be able to distinguish the rights that go with a Brit passport, as opposed to Entitlement of Abode - where 2 years or so is the grace period for return to UK, I believe).

Some info....

SOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT BEING A BRITISH CITIZEN

1. What is British citizenship? :D

People who are closely connected with the United Kingdom (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and, in most cases, the British overseas territories (see paragraph 3 below) are British citizens. British citizens have the right to live here permanently and are free to leave and re-enter the United Kingdom at any time.

2. Who became British citizens on 1 January 1983?

People became British citizens (see Note 1) if they were citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies on 31 December 1982 and had the right of abode, that is, could live in, leave and re-enter the United Kingdom freely under the Immigration Act 1971 (see Note 2). If you were in this position and you held a standard British passport, then page 5 of your passport would normally say 'Holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom'. Otherwise, you can check your position by reading Note 2.

12. Does the law still allow people to have more than one nationality? :o

Yes, the law does let people have more than one nationality. But the law of your original country may not allow you to be a citizen of that country if you are a British citizen. You should check this with the authorities of the country concerned.

Husband /Wife different than single person application

B. Requirements for a person applying as the husband or wife of a British citizen6. The person applying must:

a. be 18 or over;

b. not be of unsound mind; :D

c. be of good character;

d. be married to a British citizen on the date the application is received; and

e. either meet the residential requirements set out in paragraph 7 and 8 below, or be married to a British citizen who is working abroad, or is likely soon to be posted abroad, in Crown service under the Government of the United Kingdom (see Note

2) or the government of a qualifying territory (see Note 6) or in service specially designated under section 2(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981, and who was recruited in the United Kingdom to that service (see paragraph 9 below).

7. The residential requirements are that:

a. the person applying was in the United Kingdom (see Note 3) at the beginning of the three-year period that ended on the date the application is received;

b. on the date the application is received, the applicant's stay in the United Kingdom is not subject to any time limit under the immigration laws (see Note 5);

c. in the three-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 270 days (see Note 4);

d. in the last 12 months of that three-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 90 days; and

e. he or she was not, at any time in that three-year period, in the United Kingdom in breach of the immigration laws.

and lots more..... :D

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=151

• 3 years later...
:o This post is just for info; feel free to comment though, my mate was considering retiring to Thailand, which is great, but if your legitimate Thai wife with Brit passport leaves the UK for any more than six months they can't re-enter. Seems they keep changing the law & policies every five minutes, however, I have not checked this out yet to see if it is actual fact, but it would not surprise me.

If you live in London and have an EU country visa it costs nothing to bring your thai wife back to the UK. Where as if you are a brit, you do have to pay a whole load of cash, then have to return for the interview up to a month later. It has taken me almost four years just to get various visa's, however it was not straight forward as I met my wife in london, following a trip to Thailand, but I would have been just as well meeting her in Thailand. :D

My Thai wife of 14 months has limited leave to remain in the UK for 10 more months then she goes for her indefinate leave to remain but until then she can't leave the UK for more than 90 days at a time or she loses her visa

:o This post is just for info; feel free to comment though, my mate was considering retiring to Thailand, which is great, but if your legitimate Thai wife with Brit passport leaves the UK for any more than six months they can't re-enter. Rubbish! Seems they keep changing the law & policies every five minutes, however, I have not checked this out yet to see if it is actual fact, but it would not surprise me. Suggestion - in future check things out before posting.

May I suggest that a moderator moves this thread to the Visas and migration to other countries forum?

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Absoulute <deleted>. A british citzen is a british citizen is a british citizen!

NOT true! My wife (Thai national) has two grown up children in HK who travel with "British" passports, but BNOC passports, this means they are British Nationals Overseas. Their rights under British law, from what I see, are practically nothing!

My Thai wife of 14 months has limited leave to remain in the UK for 10 more months then she goes for her indefinate leave to remain but until then she can't leave the UK for more than 90 days at a time or she loses her visa

I think you're getting confused with the naturalisation orovisions. Whilst on her initial two-year visa, your wife can leave the UK for as long as she wishes, and will be readmitted as long as she's still married to you and you intend to continue living together etc.

Scouse.

By the way, this is a four-year-old thread and is somewhat out of date anyway.

Closed.