Police fire teargas as migrants demand to leave Greek island after fire

rooster59

2 hours ago, Morch said:

Could be wrong, but I think Saudi Arabia still 'hosts' more refugees (or whatever they are labeled as) than Greece.

Correct. Not recognised by media as KSA is not a signatory to UN Convention of Refugees and using an entirely different approach, plus does not report via UNHCR. For example, how many people know that KSA currently hosts approx 190k Rohingya?

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2017/01/25/Over-190-000-Myanmar-nationals-granted-Saudi-residency

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Opl said:

a little bit too easy... 

China in Africa isn't a former colonizer 

You've misunderstood, the new rulers acted in the same manner as the colonising countries - exploitation by the 'elite'.

16 hours ago, Letseng said:

Yes, they want to leave the island with a ticket to Germany.. Not back to where they set off from. This is the problem.

Then from Germany to France. Then directed onto a boat to the UK by the French authorities (with Macron's blessing).

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Then from Germany to France. Then directed onto a boat to the UK by the French authorities (with Macron's blessing).

""The maritime prefect doesn't want that passengers be put in danger by an attempt to storm their boat, which infuriates the British side, who say that we don't do our job. We have seen migrants putting gasoline on themselves and threatening to set themselves alight. Others showed very young kids onboard, saying that if French sailors insist they will all capsize and the children will drown", said Pascal Marconville."

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/webdoc/206/at-night-the-uk-looks-close-but-once-water-starts-entering-your-boat-it-s-terrifying

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The UK is no longer the destination of choice for most Syrian refugees. The majority have aspirations to settle in Germany.

Edited by polpott

2 hours ago, Opl said:

""The maritime prefect doesn't want that passengers be put in danger by an attempt to storm their boat, which infuriates the British side, who say that we don't do our job. We have seen migrants putting gasoline on themselves and threatening to set themselves alight. Others showed very young kids onboard, saying that if French sailors insist they will all capsize and the children will drown", said Pascal Marconville."

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/webdoc/206/at-night-the-uk-looks-close-but-once-water-starts-entering-your-boat-it-s-terrifying

So why doesn't the French coastguard pick them up and return them to France?

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

So why doesn't the French coastguard pick them up and return them to France?

I thought my quote explained it clearly enough, you'll find details in the link I shared.

Irregular migrants use the same blackmailing tactic once rescued by NGO's ships when they refuse to be returned to the nearest north African port.

Would any intervention cause the death by accident of a migrant, you would rapidly know who has leverage.. and who is submitted.   

2 minutes ago, Opl said:

I thought my quote explained it clearly enough, you'll find details in the link I shared.

Irregular migrants use the same blackmailing tactic once rescued by NGO's ships when they refuse to be returned to the nearest north African port.

Would any intervention cause the death by accident of a migrant, you would rapidly know who has leverage.. and who is submitted.   

Migrants aren't retuned to Lybia for 2 reasons. NGo boats aren't permitted to enter Lybian waters and it doesn't suit the NGO's agenda.

Your quote from a pro migrant magazine doesn't answer my question at all.

"The French navy doesn't intercept boats that are already on their way to the UK, the Boulogne prosecutor told InfoMigrants. "The maritime prefect doesn't want that passengers be put in danger by an attempt to storm their boat, which infuriates the British side, who say that we don't do our job. We have seen migrants putting gasoline on themselves and threatening to set themselves alight."

No storming of boats involved and people don't burn very well in the sea. Just pathetic excuses by the French authorities for not doing their job. 

26 minutes ago, polpott said:

Your job is not to allow illegal migrants to leave your country. But that's the object of the exercise, isn't it?

First - You said NGOs ships rightly don't take back migrants to the nearest North African port - it doesn't need to be Lybia, it could be Tunisia, anywhere else, so it's OK for you to bring them from the Mediterranneen to Europe as stop-over.. but then they should be blocked were they don't want to stay ( Greece, France..), and you expect France to retain them there, So you help for their departure, but not to their final destination.. 

Second - you blame the French for not doing UK's job police at the border actually on French soil.. - well, next year - end of the transition period, the UK will not be legally entitled to return migrants automatically to France, so then prepare to control your borders on your soil, not in Calais, Boulogne, not on French coasts which will require means 24/7

Of course I also do take informations from websites specialized on displaying infos to migrants, that's how things accurately work, instead of just giving opinions according to one's feelings

Edited by Opl

3 minutes ago, Opl said:

Second - you blame the French for not doing UK's job police at the border actually on French soil.. - well, next year - end of the transition period, the UK will not be legally entitled to return migrants automatically to France

The French don't allow us to do that now.

37 minutes ago, polpott said:

Your job is not to allow illegal migrants to leave your country. But that's the object of the exercise, isn't it?

LOL,

send an email to Banksy, ask him to fund a rescue fleet cruising on the Channel 

seriously, irregular migrants are "asked' to leave France  

Edited by Opl