Need Food Items, Help!

Kringle

Is anyone coming to Thailand soon that can bring some much needed food items for me. I'll gladly pay for anything you bring that I need. Have looked everywhere for Quaker Instant grits (plain, no flavor) and cannot locate it. I have also looked for and cannot find any Zaterans products here. :o I would like to get at least a couple of things like this if you can help me out. Please PM, email or just post here if you can bring something with you on your way. :D Thanks in advance, Kringle

I have bought Quaker Instant Oats at Tops.  If Instant "Grits" is a differenct product, haven't seen them.

Oh yes, grits are completely different. They are made from a type of corn. They are expecially popular in the southern states in America. If someone knows where they could be found in Thailand, I'd like to know as well. I would also like to get Scapple, but I know that is just a pipe dream.

:D Oxo/Bovril cubes and brit style tea bags is what I want. Tesco came up with some tea bags, but they were snaffled up quickly, never to be re-stocked again.

Why they ply us with Liptons, I'll never know. No one that I know, ever used them in the UK.

As for scapple. Isn't that what a surgeon uses? :o

Scrapple can best be described as a type of sausage, but it really is not. It is not surprising that people here have not heard of it. Even within the US, most people have never heard of it. Here is a good description of it.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html

I was quite surprised one day to find a guy here, not sure where he was from, but I think it is Australia, who owned a restaurant that was a real sausage buff. He was writing a book on sausage and I saw his collection of research materials. When I asked if he knew what Scapple was, he said no. Then after a few minutes, he asked if it was from the Pennsylvania Dutch, which was correct. He claimed he could make it, but I never paid him for an attempt. Unless you have actually eaten it, there is no way you can know what it is supposed to taste like. It's kind of the same reason I have given up on finding proper Mexican food in Thailand.

In Libya we used to make our own sausages - bring in the skins and rusk, use local meat - when there was any. (No pork, unfortunately).

If you are really keen to get things, you will find a way.

Coming soon to Thaivisa forum:

Every 100th poster of each day will receive a lottery ticket to win either a tub of Marmite, a packet of Quaker grits, a loaf of unsweetened bread, or a voucher for any 1/2kg sausages at Foodland.

Draws on saturday night at 10pm.

:o

I have bought Quaker Instant Oats at Tops.  If Instant "Grits" is a differenct product, haven't seen them.

Oh yes, grits are completely different. They are made from a type of corn. They are expecially popular in the southern states in America. If someone knows where they could be found in Thailand, I'd like to know as well. I would also like to get Scapple, but I know that is just a pipe dream.

I have never seen grits here and they are made out of rough ground or cracked hominy, hominy is corn that has been soaked in lime water til the hull comes off.

Up in Chiang mai I did see a store that had MASA,and it would work for scrapple, I looked at the recipe on another post,but I do not like onions in it and never make it with onions,

I use about a kilo of ground pork,not to much fat,a couple of gallons of water and salt and about 3 cups of corn meal[either yellow or white] ,Boil the ground or chopped pork for about 1/2 hr, let cool and then stir in the meal,being careful to stir all the time that you are adding the meal or you will have lumps,continue to stir til it starts to boil,reduce heat and let cook for an hour,,I like to use a bigger pot with water in it so I have a huge double boiler and then you needn't worry about the scrapple sticking to the bottom and scraping up lumps, when cooked,pour into loaf pans and let cool,and thick, fry til golden in hot butter,,now thats the way my penn. deutch grandma did it.as you know,they were germans not dutch.

soon as I can find some more corn meal I will make some and you are welcome to come and eat

KevinN, You really know your grits,great stuff. I get corn meal here in Bangkok at a health food store that's next to a hospital (can't remember the name, get back to you) If you would like some, I can pick some up for you. I've got some myself and even brought back some fish fry from La. (last trip). Also brought back a big bottle of Zaterans shrimp,crab and crawfish boil with a few of the packet style. I've got to go to Bourbon St. rest. here in Bangkok to check with Doug to get some of them crawdads he's raising. Supposed to be a New Zealand variety but still crawdads.

CMguy, Will have to look for it when I'm back up that way.

Doi, for a quick red beans and rice fix, Zaterans is king and I also like the other boxed stuff they make.

ProThai, I get the oatmeal all the time and the wife likes them and had never tried them before but still nothing like grits with lots of butter,sunnyside egg,and a little salt and pepper, one of my favorites. :o

There still has to be someone that's making a trip here soon and wouldn't mind bringing just a few items with. I'm on this site every day and will glad to pay for the stuff and some beers to boot.

KRINGLE; If you know someone in the states that can box it up and send it,it will sure add to the cost but better a little expensive than not at all.

I did use some of the Zaterans products,but none of the things you mentioned are to heavy,a friend I had asked to see if he could find Kim Chee base mix and send,said he couldn't find it but sent me a big box of the large plastic containers of spices that he picked up in the commercial size containers at Price Club/Costco store and the freight was not to much thru the postoffice. :o

:o Oxo/Bovril cubes and brit style tea bags is what I want. Tesco came up with some tea bags, but they were snaffled up quickly, never to be re-stocked again.

Tesco is a disaster on the inventory front.

Month after month, "Mai Mee" is all they can say.

all stores,both large and small here are the same.

They will not warehouse any extra stuff to restock the shelves, they run out and then order more when they get ready and not until,no matter how good a seller an item is,,not even butter and will not order as long as 1 remains in stock.and if they do not usually stock it,then that means it not available in Thailand,even if the store next door stocks it.

Customer satisfaction is not something that is in the Thai vocab. or even possible as far as they are concerned.Never give it a thought. :o

I have never seen grits here and they are made out of rough ground or cracked hominy, hominy is corn that has been soaked in lime water til the hull comes off.

Up in Chiang mai I did see a store that had MASA,and it would work for scrapple, I looked at the recipe on another post,but I do not like onions in it and never make it with onions,

I use about a kilo of ground pork,not to much fat,a couple of gallons of water and salt and about 3 cups of corn meal[either yellow or white] ,Boil the ground or chopped pork for about 1/2 hr, let cool and then stir in the meal,being careful to stir all the time that you are adding the meal or you will have lumps,continue to stir til it starts to boil,reduce heat and let cook for an hour,,I like to use a bigger pot with water in it so I have a huge double boiler and then you needn't worry about the scrapple sticking to the bottom and scraping up lumps, when cooked,pour into loaf pans and let cool,and thick, fry til golden in hot butter,,now thats the way my penn. deutch grandma did it.as you know,they were germans not dutch.

soon as I can find some more corn meal I will make some and you are welcome to come and eat

Kevin which store in chiang mai had Masa? i want to make fresh tortillas :o

DIO; I do not know the name of it or the addy. as I went there with a farang who was my landlord when I was renting an apt. and we went there one evening after an AA meeting and i know it was not to far from Mc Cormack hospital,,I will be up in a few months and will find it as I would like to make some myself,,sorry i couldn't be of some help,but will contact you when ever i find something out.

Every 100th poster of each day will receive a lottery ticket to win either a tub of Marmite, a packet of Quaker grits, a loaf of unsweetened bread, or a voucher for any 1/2kg sausages at Foodland.

:D

Did you say M*****e? :o

What about Bisto gravy? In Phuket? :D

:D

Did you say M*****e? :D

What about Bisto gravy? In Phuket? :D

Or Bovril - anywhere? :o