Isaan Music

glenbat

Having listened to a bit of Thai music i have to admit some it is ok, pretty catchy almost. I know of people such as Bird and Jintara Poonlarp but thought I'd ask you 'locals' if theres any people/groups I should look for who play more Isaan type music than pop?

Hope that makes sense :o

cheers macb

Bought a few compilations when in Patts in March but would love to know who i'm actually listening to, found a good site on net www.ethaicd.com they send origonal CD's, dvds and vcd's from Thailand for about £4 each including postage.. but until now a little unsure of popular performers..

I'll look at the 2 sites cheers

hope baby and mrs macb are well

cheers macb

Bought a few compilations when in Patts in March but would love to know who i'm actually listening to, found a good site on net www.ethaicd.com they send origonal CD's, dvds and vcd's from Thailand for about £4 each including postage.. but until now a little unsure of popular performers..

I'll look at the 2 sites cheers

hope baby and mrs macb are well

Mother and Baby doing good thanks:

I got two CD's of Issan dance music, but the information is all in Thai, when I played them they all said how you know what to buy, ghess I was lucky, but all the local lasses were dancing and me as well, must have been the beer lol

I'm a big fan of the "morlam" stuff... one of my favorite performers is Mai Tai

A good introduction into the isaan style would be to get hold of the "Live in Bangkok" VCD by Pong Larng Sa-orn. They also have a new one out, but not sure of the name.

It's not strictly just music, but comedy and performing... very entertaining.

totster :o

I usually buy EVERYTHING from bands whose name starts with "rock": Rocksadeut, Rock-On Son etc. There is also a Isaan-Khmer Band with a

"Rock" name, but I don't want to write it here, because it is .... hard to pronounce. (Well, if you mispronounce, your trader will rofl. :o

If you every come to Surin: there is a very good CD-shop and the owner knows everything about Thai and Isaan music. Just remember an Isaan song you like, go there and tell him you like music like this. He will be able to give you exactly what you like; this guy is a miracle.

I'm a big fan of the "morlam" stuff... one of my favorite performers is Mai Tai

A good introduction into the isaan style would be to get hold of the "Live in Bangkok" VCD by Pong Larng Sa-orn. They also have a new one out, but not sure of the name.

It's not strictly just music, but comedy and performing... very entertaining.

totster :o

They do love thier simple, slap stick-esqe comdey dont they? Went to watch Bodyguard 2 in March in Patts and I think i was the only farang in the cinema, had my gf one side of me, and a thai male of about 40 the other side. The film itself was quite funny, complete with sound effects but I was actually crying with laughter just at how much everyone else was laughing.. My gf was screaming out, this fella next to me was almost doubled up, his legs up and feet kicking!!

In a way it was the best film I've ever seen lol

I've just ordered it off EthaiCD, dont really care if its not subtitled I know I'll enjoy it!