Media Reporting Regarding Bangkok Demonstrations

chevykanteve

Here's a brief excerpt from today's Bangkok Post:

Tiny turnout at anti-junta rally

By Penchan Charoensuthipan

The banned pro-Thaksin Shinawatra broadcaster PTV drew 1,000 people and 900 police guards...

Now let's compare that with what an international news agency (AFP) reports concerning the same event:

BANGKOK (AFP) - Some 4,000 people protested in Bangkok Friday against Thailand's military-backed government, which came to power after a September coup that ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Defying rain, the crowd of mostly middle-aged men and women gathered at Bangkok's Sanam Luang plaza for the demonstration organised by allies of Thaksin, who has remained in self-exile abroad since the coup...

WHY IS THERE SUCH A HUGE DISCREPANCY IN NUMBERS OF DEMONSTRATORS? I can understand 1000 vs. 1500, but 1000 vs. 4000??!!

Here's a brief excerpt from today's Bangkok Post:

Tiny turnout at anti-junta rally

By Penchan Charoensuthipan

The banned pro-Thaksin Shinawatra broadcaster PTV drew 1,000 people and 900 police guards...

Now let's compare that with what an international news agency (AFP) reports concerning the same event:

BANGKOK (AFP) - Some 4,000 people protested in Bangkok Friday against Thailand's military-backed government, which came to power after a September coup that ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Defying rain, the crowd of mostly middle-aged men and women gathered at Bangkok's Sanam Luang plaza for the demonstration organised by allies of Thaksin, who has remained in self-exile abroad since the coup...

WHY IS THERE SUCH A HUGE DISCREPANCY IN NUMBERS OF DEMONSTRATORS? I can understand 1000 vs. 1500, but 1000 vs. 4000??!!

When you understand this particular conundrum, you're halfway to understanding the thai thought process.

ie. Its not so much the truth that's important, but the individual's perception of it.

Cheers,

Soundman.

It still is a much smaller discrepancy than the numbers from the PAD demonstrations, where 20 000 real protesters suddenly turned 100 000 plus in the medias.

Just the usual.

It still is a much smaller discrepancy than the numbers from the PAD demonstrations, where 20 000 real protesters suddenly turned 100 000 plus in the medias.

Just the usual.

Agree fully. The PAD demonstration "hype" concerning numbers was a joke. Good to hear from someone who is well-read and objective. Colonel Pyat, whoever you are, I salute you.