Snake

BossHogg

does anyone have knowledge of the snakes in this area.I searched the forum and cant find a description to match the one i have in the garden

The wife thinks it maybe Ngoo Gaan Plow.Anyone know the English translation.?

The snake is about 4 to 5 feet long and about as thick as a toilet roll tube.Head no wider than the body, dark brown almost black in colour with goldish coloured hoops on the bottom third of the body.

Any ideas guys?

does anyone have knowledge of the snakes in this area.I searched the forum and cant find a description to match the one i have in the garden

The snake is about 4 to 5 feet long and about as thick as a toilet roll tube.Head no wider than the body, dark brown almost black in colour with goldish coloured hoops on the bottom third of the body.

Any ideas guys?

just google it and see snakes thailand

or buy the book snakes of Thailand

Any ideas guys?

Copperhead Rat Snake. We get loads of them around the house and farm. Perfectly safe.

thankyou mate...did the wife get the name right?

The "golden hoops" is throwing me a bit, but that's the English common name for "Ngoo Gaan Plow". Google "Copperhead Rat Snake" for a photo and compare with your memory of what you saw.

Rgds

Khonwan

i did google for snakes as soon as i saw it but couldnt see anything that looked the same.

the hoops were verticle not running tip to tail and of a dirty yellowish colour.

We had a young cobra in the yard last year but no sign of them again.I was thinking of getting some snake reppellent from rimping later but not sure how effective it is or wether its harmful to wildlife

i did google for snakes as soon as i saw it but couldnt see anything that looked the same.

the hoops were verticle not running tip to tail and of a dirty yellowish colour.

We had a young cobra in the yard last year but no sign of them again.I was thinking of getting some snake reppellent from rimping later but not sure how effective it is or wether its harmful to wildlife

Try to Google for "Common Rat Snake" (Gnoo Sing). Black hoops on dirty-yellow/brown lower part of body.

Keep the grass around your house cut short, and the area tidy, and you shouldn't have too many unwelcome visitors. I don't know what's in the snake repellent but I'd guess it's mostly made from lemon grass, which is safe for all wildlife.

Rgds

Khonwan

Any ideas guys?

We called it the "Two Step" in the Nam. After it bites you, you take two steps and then you are dead! :o

(just kidding, although there is such a snake)

We called it the "Two Step" in the Nam. After it bites you, you take two steps and then you are dead! :o

(just kidding, although there is such a snake)

Actually just an urban myth, or more precisely a hooch myth.

If I had a snake in my garden I wouldn't be posting about it but getting out the ol' big pole... Then I would post a pic of it AFTER killing it, and find out if it was venomous or not. Kill first, ask questions later.

If I had a snake in my garden I wouldn't be posting about it but getting out the ol' big pole... Then I would post a pic of it AFTER killing it, and find out if it was venomous or not. Kill first, ask questions later.

The sensible side of me would state that 80% of the snakes in LOS are not venomous and do a really good job of keeping the rodent population down, even the ones who do have a dangerous bite probably cause less deaths than leptospirosis.

On the other hand, if it is near the house and doesn't show any signs of retreating when approached, whack it.

P.S. Most snakes, if not all, will back away when there is a perceived threat by a much larger animal (ie you) as long as they have open space to move to ..... this does not apply to the black mamba.

Some of the larger venomous snakes can be quite aggressive, one of the most dangerous is the Australian King Brown, or Taipan. Twenty times a venomous as the cobra. :o

Take note though that in every recorded instance of someone being bitten it was a snake keeper or some one trying to catch one.

I am all for snakes. We always have problems with mice and rats coming up out of the drains. Having an occasional visit from a snake is a great help.

We caught a copperhead ratsnake Eradiata.jpg in our kitchen a few weeks ago. Released it in the roof space and the annoying pitter-patter of tiny feet keeping us awake at night has been gone since then.

lucky one of these are not common to thailand! a 20km/h possible black mamba.

I lived in cental Africa for a while and have to admit the black mamba scared the sh1t out of me.As you say they really move quickly and can lift 2/3rds of the body upright.This makes them as tall as a man.Very very poisonous and i have heard of them attacking rather than retreating when scared although the one i had in the camp did try to make a hasty retreat but was not as fast as the owners shotgun pellets.

Elephants were more of threat and im not concerned about chang getting into the moo ban causing a riot although it might be the only thing to wake the gaurd up!

I am all for snakes. We always have problems with mice and rats coming up out of the drains. Having an occasional visit from a snake is a great help.

We caught a copperhead ratsnake Eradiata.jpg in our kitchen a few weeks ago.

That is a beautiful snake - we had a long nose whip snake for quite a while until a neighbour dispached it out of my mango tree where it happily lived. I do realise they are members of the viper family and that they are poisonous but they are a very timid snake and the poison is not going to hurt any human - not even small children.

Released it in the roof space and the annoying pitter-patter of tiny feet keeping us awake at night has been gone since then.

I am assuming that your reference is to rodents and not the kids?

:o

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

CB

Yes, very much so. We recently cleared out an outside store room, catching about a dozen rats in the process. Seems their fellows migrated into our roof space.

This is not the first time we have used a snake in this way. We normally look for the common rat snake. They are one of the most vicious of all thai snakes and strike repeatedly with very little encouragement. They are perfect for teaching others how to handle snakes because the bites, although uncomfortable and nicely bloody, have no venom.

CB

Yes, very much so. We recently cleared out an outside store room, catching about a dozen rats in the process. Seems their fellows migrated into our roof space.

This is not the first time we have used a snake in this way. We normally look for the common rat snake. They are one of the most vicious of all thai snakes and strike repeatedly with very little encouragement. They are perfect for teaching others how to handle snakes because the bites, although uncomfortable and nicely bloody, have no venom.

I think I need to come out to see you and get educated :D

CB

:D

CB

I think I need to come out to see you and get educated :D

CB

CB,

these snakes that p1p is talking about do not spare Crows! careful now .... just thought i'd caution u. :o

Yeah, I am not particularly fond of HANDLING snakes, but my feelings on the matter is they have a definite role in the eco-system (not to get all touchy-feely tree hugger or anything). They eat rats, which are disease carrying vermin, so they fulfil a vital role.

I'd be freaked out too if there was a 5 foot snake, diameter of a tp-roll tube in my garden. But I would find out first if it was a threat, before "terminating with extreme prejudice".

On the snake subject, got talked into drinking lao khao from Laos at a bar here in CM once last year around Xmas. You know what I'm talking about- the bottle with the baby cobras coiled up inside. Scary dreams, massive headache for 2 days. And whenever I see a rat or mouse, my tongue darts out involuntarily, and I start hissing...... :o

Edited by mcgriffith

Yeah, I am not particularly fond of HANDLING snakes, but my feelings on the matter is they have a definite role in the eco-system (not to get all touchy-feely tree hugger or anything). They eat rats, which are disease carrying vermin, so they fulfil a vital role.

I'd be freaked out too if there was a 5 foot snake, diameter of a tp-roll tube in my garden. But I would find out first if it was a threat, before "terminating with extreme prejudice".

On the snake subject, got talked into drinking lao khao from Laos at a bar here in CM once last year around Xmas. You know what I'm talking about- the bottle with the baby cobras coiled up inside. Scary dreams, massive headache for 2 days. And whenever I see a rat or mouse, my tongue darts out involuntarily, and I start hissing...... :o

ive had some funny looking "ladies " doing that at me late at night aroun Thapae Gate...was that you?

Yeah me too, sorry to disappoint!

On a more serious vein, ON TOPIC, read an article today in BK Post about a huge illegal catch of shark's fins off Columbia (South America).

I am a diver, and am perhaps more aware of this problem than most (non-divers).

Because of a very lucrative market in shark-fin soup in Asia, thousand of sharks are killed daily, often in marine reserve waters, including endangered species.

Many people don't like snakes, or sharks. But that is no reason to kill them. It wreaks havoc with the natural balance of things.

These creatures have a very necessary role in the overall scheme of things.

They shouldn't ever be killed, unless they are a direct threat, IMHO.

And I just saw an advert in the same paper, on Friday, for a hi-end restaurant in BK offering, you got it, shark's fin soup.....<deleted>?

I am not a diver or fisherman , nor i am a tree hugger.But i am aware of the problem with the demand for shark fin and its ecological impact...i believe the fin is often cut off and the shark then thrown back in the water.Pointless waste.Can sharks not be reared/farmed for food without affecting the food chain? is it a Chinese thing? Does the fin have some mystical healing power?

there is also alot of snake in my house ,

and we had alway have this policy of catch and release .

so far we had done about 5-6 run . from small snake as small as a pencil body to snake as large as 2-3 inch in diameter

is kinda scary when we try to catch it .. and my dog as well as my mother had alot of fun . jumping around .. my father is the pro . but i worry for him sometime as his is old and have poor eyes sight .

so i try to take over the catching ..

usually the snake will run away .

If you spot a really nasty snake that is going after you ..

you only choice is to kill it if you can.

i fun . a long stick with a flat end work ..

like one of those you use to mop dry the floor but with a long rubber foam across .

this work petty well . and allow you to block the snake from advancing .

but of cos .. the best advice is to get someone who can .. don't do it yorself .. if you just read up some snake catching info online or read a book before . or saw . it on the TV before .

we already have a large net and a plastic barrel ready for our task .. since we spotted the first snake .

what the name of the yellow power use to make gun powder

Surplur or something .

use it around your house .. it would chase away the snake .

as snake travel by sences . so this would make them go away or least least another house .

good luck

On another topic .. about balance .

seriously speaking ..

WE AS HUMAN is the real parasite of EARTH .

look at it .

we only take from nature .

we store what we don't needs . we use up gas and petrol .

we eat .. and when we shit we don't even use it on our own tree .

we take .more then we give .

while we go all about you can't kill this or must protect that .

offen we forget is just another excuse to point some finger some where so we miss the real big picture .

everyone . have their excuse .

endangerous animal . so what .

what the excuse for livign in a house larger then a bed size we really needs ?

what the excuse for having a car which drink up petrol which is a limited resources .

is that an excuse for what we can't see or don't see we can do ?

do killing chicken is ok ? and shake is not ok ?

what about pig and cow ?

what about small fish ?

how about those tiny tiny fish . which we assume is alot ? but compare to 100 years ago .. it should had drop as much as 70 % .

well human will alway be human.

we try to find thing to do , event to make a point . at the end of the days .

history will just repeat itself .

we will never be sorry . - we just want to look good . in front of other sometime .

not trying to be rude .

how many of you do what you say ?

why not we just go vegetarain .

cos then we can stop killing .

will just plant seed and then use our own shit on the land and the cycle is enough .

- we really don't need a alot of thing in this way ..

at the end of the day all this is just a game we human like to play .

Blue pill ? red pill ?

Edited by Ta22