OCPB helping customers receive refunds on canceled flights

rooster59

OCPB helping customers receive refunds on canceled flights

Praphorn Praphornkul

4d88c50559c63d348446a936a5b3c294_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT)-In response to flight cancellations due to the COVID-19 situation, many customers have received refunds from airlines, thanks to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB), as the agency is following up on related legal issues.

The Prime Minister’s Office Minister, Anucha Nakasai, who oversees the OCPB, today attended the 6th OCPB meeting of 2020. The meeting discussed consumer complaints about airlines, after their flights were canceled because of the pandemic.

Mr. Anucha said after the meeting that the OCPB had held discussions with airline operators regarding refunds, while representing consumers in legal action. He also delivered his work policy to the OCPB and urged the agency to work more proactively and to exercise Section 21 to help speed up the investigation of consumer complaints.

In 2019, the OCPB was able to help more than 10,000 consumers receive refunds worth over 100 million baht in total.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-09-27

I have to wonder if some airlines are accepting bookings while they have no intention to fly that particular route on the day advertised.  Airlines are bleeding cash and a good way to get some income would be to do the above.  The customer becomes an unsecured creditor.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Our Thai Airways flights were cancelled more than six months ago.....still waiting for our refund and will never fly with them again until we get it.

In the same boat with Thai Airways as you. They'll gain in the short-term by using my money as a loan, but they've lost a long-term customer.

• Like 1

"and urged the agency to work more proactively and to exercise Section 21 to help speed up the investigation of consumer complaints."
Query which "section 21" is this. Tried a search and FYI its probably the 21 in the following.
https://www.dsi.go.th/Files/Images/พระราชบัญญัติการสอบสวนคดีพิเศษ พ.ศ.๒๕๔๗ ฉบับภาษาไทย-อังกฤษ.pdf

This is used for "Criminal cases". 
The question is then Which law does the refund relate to that makes it a criminal case.
Suggestions anybody?

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Our Thai Airways flights were cancelled more than six months ago.....still waiting for our refund and will never fly with them again until we get it.

Same for me, my flight for 2 weeks ago was cancelled........they said I will hear back from them in 6 months!   As they are "busy"!

Used to fly Thai twice a year, good flight times for me from U.K.        

Wont use them again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Same with me and Air Asia, they are already sending me promotional ads to fly with them again...not until my refund comes that's for sure

11 hours ago, welshguy said:

Same for me, my flight for 2 weeks ago was cancelled........they said I will hear back from them in 6 months!   As they are "busy"!

Used to fly Thai twice a year, good flight times for me from U.K.        

Wont use them again!

The only "busy" they can be is with fielding complaints from clients who did not get the product they paid for. What else can they be "busy" with. 

It's not only here, all over the world refunds are being met with either no response or vague processes and promises. Bottom line is that money received for flights has already been used to fund rentals, salaries etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brad88 said:

In the same boat with Thai Airways as you. They'll gain in the short-term by using my money as a loan, but they've lost a long-term customer.

Since Thai is bankrupt and you are an unsecured creditor any money Thai has will go to secured creditors first.  If anything is left, which is doubtful, it will be paid out as pennies in the dollar.

11 hours ago, oompie69 said:

The only "busy" they can be is with fielding complaints from clients who did not get the product they paid for. What else can they be "busy" with. 

It's not only here, all over the world refunds are being met with either no response or vague processes and promises. Bottom line is that money received for flights has already been used to fund rentals, salaries etc.

Also, they said the only way to contact them is via e-mail!

I suppose the only "good"! thing about my booking ? I was going to treat myself , by flying business class. (as a "treat" because Ive just retired!)...in the end, I just booked economy, also used some "miles" from R.O.P.  which shaved off about £150...so it looks like i will "only!" lose about £450 ish.................Great!

I had my flight + return flight booked and paid for in March 2020). British Airways then cancelled both flights for my flights in April. I have lost over 25000 bt. No voucher no refund. I paid using Paypal ( Big mistake) . British airways equally useless and are keeping my money ( 6 months now). BA cancelled the flights ( not me), then told PP flights are not cancelled. PP just take their word for it without any checking and close the case in sellers favour.  Yes Ive tried everything .... I will never fly BA again or use PP ..for anything.

Sounds like  Thai Airways are just as bad.

Edited by Rolanddrums