Retirement Visa

kerryk

just had mine renewed there recently and although they didnt ask when i sat down, i handed them my passbook and copies. they did look it over before handing it back so i assume they were looking for the 90 days. i had it so i dont know what would have happened if i didnt

jimmy

Anyone renewed a retirement visa lately? Do they require the 800,000 Baht to be in the bank for 90 days before the renewal in Jomtien?

I asked the Guy at the retirement extension desk in Jomtien about that and he said you are supposed to but (big shrug) it's is ok if it wasn't there for the whole 90days.

Basically, they are against those who put the money in to the account and take it out next day after renewal.

But you know of course that you dont's actually have to have the full 80000bht in the Bank.

Your Pension (Must have a letter to show what it is from the Embassy) plus money in the Bank (letter from the Bank to confirm) to bring it up to the full amount.

I only include this old info for the benefit of anyone new to LOS.......

Not new :o

And not (yet) old enough for a retirement visa, but no time like the present to start planning (i.e. salting $$ in the bank).

Do I have to apply for a retirement visa in my home country ? I heard something that if you have a VOA or Tourist Visa, you can apply to change it to a Retirement Visa while in country (assuming you meet the other criteria of course) ?

In addition to the Pension Verification (from the embassy) and the Account Verification (from the bank), what else is required ? I know certain Visas require a recent Criminal Record check (home country) and Medical Check-up (local ?).

Of course, there are also the photocopies of the passport/current visa, passport pics and I would assume a Residency Certificate (issued by the same Immigration Office) ?

I suppose I could browse the SunBelt site again and the embassy pages (again), but I've already typed this all out so it would be quicker to click the "Add Reply" button than delete the post ! :D

Re the money, My wife and I renewed our Retirement Visas in February and you did not have to have the whole amount in you bank account for the 90 days, but you have to have a fair amount in your bank account for a least 60 days say arround 600,000 as long as you can show the full ammount when you go to get your visa.

Not much use to me as I have a 60 day notice account in the UK and as it costs £40-00 a time to have the money sent, I get it done in one go.

And not (yet) old enough for a retirement visa, but no time like the present to start planning (i.e. salting $$ in the bank).

Do I have to apply for a retirement visa in my home country ? I heard something that if you have a VOA or Tourist Visa, you can apply to change it to a Retirement Visa while in country (assuming you meet the other criteria of course) ?

In addition to the Pension Verification (from the embassy) and the Account Verification (from the bank), what else is required ? I know certain Visas require a recent Criminal Record check (home country) and Medical Check-up (local ?).

Of course, there are also the photocopies of the passport/current visa, passport pics and I would assume a Residency Certificate (issued by the same Immigration Office) ?

I suppose I could browse the SunBelt site again and the embassy pages (again), but I've already typed this all out so it would be quicker to click the "Add Reply" button than delete the post ! :D

Being a Dutch,but living and working in Indonesia,I applied for my O-A (pre aproved) "retirement " visa in Indonesia.

Prepared all before going to the embassy.

Had my criminal record check from Holland as well as from Indonesia (could do the Dutch record on-line :D ).Medical check up from my local MD.Money amount on the bank in Holland(bank statement)No problem but waiting for a couple of weeks before OK from Bkk came in.On my arrival in Bkk ,I got the 1 year stamp without asking. :D

Edited by dutch

Being a Dutch,but living and working in Indonesia,I applied for my O-A (pre aproved) "retirement " visa in Indonesia.

Had my criminal record check from Holland as well as from Indonesia (could do the Dutch record on-line :D ).Medical check up from my local MD.Money amount on the bank in Holland(bank statement)No problem but waiting for a couple of weeks before OK from Bkk came in.On my arrival in Bkk ,I got the 1 year stamp without asking. :D

JR Texas: I am having trouble keeping up with all of the visa changes.......but I think that, in order to force more foreign expats out of the country, they added a 65K income requirement to the 800K in the bank requirement. No doubt both of these "income bars" will be increased substantially in the near future if they do not force enough expats to leave.

I do not think it is possible to put money in the bank and get a long term visa solution.....those days are over, but might be wrong.

JR Texas: I am having trouble keeping up with all of the visa changes.......but I think that, in order to force more foreign expats out of the country, they added a 65K income requirement to the 800K in the bank requirement. No doubt both of these "income bars" will be increased substantially in the near future if they do not force enough expats to leave.

I do not think it is possible to put money in the bank and get a long term visa solution.....those days are over, but might be wrong.

I think your information concerning having a 65K income and 800,000 bhat is incorrect. You must have EITHER a B65,000 p/m incomr OR B800,000.

I think your information concerning having a 65K income and 800,000 bhat is incorrect. You must have EITHER a B65,000 p/m incomr OR B800,000.

JR Texas: Not sure.....things are changing too fast for me to keep up. I do believe that, for single males 50 or above, they crossed out OR and added AND...meaning that you now must have both: 800K plus 65K per month.

I also think for males 50 or above married to a Thai woman they crossed out AND/OR and now you only qualify for long term visa if your combined income (you and spouse) is 40K per month (no more 400K in the bank). But, certainly, I could be wrong and it would not be the first time.

Pattaya Immigration has been changing 30 day stamps to NI-O visas and granting extensions of one year (dated from the time of last entry into Thailand) to people 50 years of age and older who meet the qualifications for retirement.

Health certificate is no longer required and a police clearance hasn’t been required for those applying in Thailand. (Both of these are required if applying for an O-A visa in your home country.) No Certificate of Residency required.

Fill out the application for visa extension – TM 7. This assumes you have an O visa. If you only have a 30 stamp that will be changed to an O visa for 2000 baht. The fee to extend the O visa for one year is an additional 1900 baht.

Passport size photos.

Letter from your Thai bank verifying your balance – which has to be the same as the final balance in your bankbook.

Copies of your bankbook pages.

Copies of certain pages of your passport. (The folks at the copy place next to Immigration will know what the current requirements are re bankbook and passport copies.)

Declaration on your Embassy’s letterhead showing you have X amount of income from pensions or other sources coming from outside Thailand. (Only necessary if you’re qualifying on the basis of 65,000 baht per month income rather than showing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR if you’re using a combination of monthly income + money in a Thai bank to the equivalent of 800,000 baht.)

The money on deposit for 3 months prior to applying for the extension has not been enforced as yet.

-redwood

I'm from the UK and have a retirement visa. I have to go to Jomtien immigration later this week to do my first 90 day reporting in. Does anyone know what I have to take with me, and if there are any special forms to complete, or do I just turn up and show my passport?

I'm from the UK and have a retirement visa. I have to go to Jomtien immigration later this week to do my first 90 day reporting in. Does anyone know what I have to take with me, and if there are any special forms to complete, or do I just turn up and show my passport?

You only have to bring your passport and you will have to fill in form TM.47

Edited by wolf359

JR Texas: Not sure.....things are changing too fast for me to keep up. I do believe that, for single males 50 or above, they crossed out OR and added AND...meaning that you now must have both: 800K plus 65K per month.

I also think for males 50 or above married to a Thai woman they crossed out AND/OR and now you only qualify for long term visa if your combined income (you and spouse) is 40K per month (no more 400K in the bank). But, certainly, I could be wrong and it would not be the first time.

You are most certainly wrong. It's OR, not AND

You only have to bring your passport and you will have to fill in form TM.47

Thanks Wolf359