Ministry begins issuing international driving licences

geovalin

The Ministry of Public Works and Transport has announced that they have begun to issue international driving licences to allow Cambodia people to drive abroad, with owners of the licence legally allowed to drive in 99 countries. The announcement came during the launch of the new Public Service Centre at Chip Mong Noro Mall yesterday, in Phnom Penh.

The new centre has opened for the public to facilitate the “auto system”, which covers vehicle ownership transfers, vehicle registration and driving licence renewals, in cooperation with the general department of taxation. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said yesterday that Cambodian people who have a driving licence can apply for an international driving licence at the ministry.

He said that the drivers must pay $25 charge for the service in return for a one-year permit. “International driving’s licence will allow owners to legally drive in UN member countries. The price was set in relation to the prices set in other Asean countries,” he said.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50768552/ministry-begins-issuing-international-driving-licences/

i jumped to soon should have looked at google .....Drivers holding a valid driver's license of the 10 ASEAN member countries can use their national driver's license in the nine other countries without the need to obtain an IDP. These countries are Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Philippines.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, geovalin said:

The Ministry of Public Works and Transport has announced that they have begun to issue international driving licences to allow Cambodia people to drive abroad, with owners of the licence legally allowed to drive in 99 countrie

This is a typical miss translation of french. The document being held up is an IDP. It is not a licence.

Some french people will show a document claiming that it is an international licence, when a picture is shown and the exact details shown it is clear that the document is in fact an International Driving Permit that requires a valid national licence accompanies it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

This is a typical miss translation of french. The document being held up is an IDP. It is not a licence.

Some french people will show a document claiming that it is an international licence, when a picture is shown and the exact details shown it is clear that the document is in fact an International Driving Permit that requires a valid national licence accompanies it.

True. The IDP is nothing more than a translation document and not a driving license by itself.

• Like 1

Yet Cambodia will not accept International Driving licenses from the 99 countries.. I will use my International driving license when I am next in Cambodia, then make sure when I am picked up for it, it makes the news at least in my country... never have any trouble with loads of times I have been stopped in Thailand with it.... Cambodia seems to be a bunch of hypocrites.. take our license with our crazy driving standards, but we wont take yours with much higher license and training standards.. yep, sounds about right for Cambodia... hope their tourist trade remains sunk...

11 hours ago, milesinnz said:

Yet Cambodia will not accept International Driving licenses

Because there is no valid “International Driving license”

11 hours ago, milesinnz said:

I will use my International driving license

You do not have a valid legal international driving licence. 

you may have paid for a piece of plastic/paper that claims to be an IDL if so it’s either a fake or issued by your home country to only be used with a valid local license so it is an IDP 

Edited by sometimewoodworker