Child Dyslexia advice

VintageTQ

Hey all

My child is 8 years old and has always struggled with his reading. I thought he was maybe just a case of some kids pick things up quicker than others and it would eventually click but although he is getting better he is quite far behind where he should be for his age.

I've looked into dyslexia and he does seem to have a few of the classic symptoms and i think i should look towards getting him assessed for it.

I have spoken to his school (thai private billingual school) and whilst they agree i should have him assessed they don't provide an assessment and suggested i speak to his doctor, which seemed a bit odd to me.

I looked online and there was a place that popped up 'littlesproutscentre' in bangkok but they have quoted me 38,000 for an assessment which takes 3 hours. whilst i do want to get my son help and expect it cost money that just seems way over the top expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can point me in the direction to get some help

Many thanks

Edited by VintageTQ

Go online or your app store and search for LexiaCore5.  This computer aided instructional tool will provide a placement assessment and then provide highly effective instruction.   Have him use this for for 30 minutes daily.  You can provide supervision, mainly insuring attention to task and encouragement. The program is fun for students and rewarding.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He is specifically looking for assessment of possible dyslexia, not sure this app is appropriate for that.

OP I suggest these 2 places, though I don't know the cost

https://www.manarom.com/mld_eng.html

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/en/smichcenters/learning-disorder-center/

If you cannot afford private assessment, go to the child development clinic of a major teaching hospital. Waits will be long and uncomfortable but cost will be a fraction of the private services.

I know he is looking for assessment.  My advice to him is to initiate LexiaCore5 for minimal cost and maximum gain.  Whether the child is diagnosed with dyslexia or not, this tool will be highly effective in delivering the correct lessons and moving forward in a developmentally appropriate sequence whether it is dyslexia or a simple reading delay for whatever reason.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TC17 said:

Go online or your app store and search for LexiaCore5.  This computer aided instructional tool will provide a placement assessment and then provide highly effective instruction.   Have him use this for for 30 minutes daily.  You can provide supervision, mainly insuring attention to task and encouragement. The program is fun for students and rewarding.  

i looked at this and it sounds good so will give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He is specifically looking for assessment of possible dyslexia, not sure this app is appropriate for that.

OP I suggest these 2 places, though I don't know the cost

https://www.manarom.com/mld_eng.html

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/en/smichcenters/learning-disorder-center/

If you cannot afford private assessment, go to the child development clinic of a major teaching hospital. Waits will be long and uncomfortable but cost will be a fraction of the private services.

Thanks Sheryl

My child was also about eight when we realised his reading was falling behind at school and he was being branded as lazy by his teachers.

Ultimately he was diagnosed with Irlen Syndrome and was prescribed those coloured glasses to stop the words moving around on the paper.

I include a link that explains the differences in the two conditions. https://www.irlensyndrome.org/irlen-vs-dyslexia/ 

Sorry I can't be of more help of where to go in Thailand as my son was diagnosed in Sydney and within two years of being diagnosed he had caught up academically. I recall at the time (20 years ago) it was quite expensive being more than a weeks wages.

Edited by markeewan

3 hours ago, VintageTQ said:

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

Yes.. lots of good advice for you there.. My son has dyslexia .. when he was young his mother and I read to him every night.. Reading and spelling were very hard for him to learn.. He is in his late 30s now.. 2 degrees and teaching.. It is a long hard road but not impossible to overcome.. I suggest like we did.. instill a love for books.. Good luck.. 

About ten years ago, I studied Thai language from a Thai teacher who had a masters degree in education from a top Thai university and had taught in Thai elementary schools for several years, before switching to teaching reading and writing to adult foreigners.  We marveled at how the Thai language has so many characters in its alphabet that are so similar with just a little twist to the end of the character making them different -- พ ผ   ค ด   ช ซ  And to make it even more difficult, there is no space between the words!  Some of the guys told the teacher they had dyslexia and had to work very hard to learn to read in English and Thai was even more difficult.  

The teacher was understanding and reflected back to her days of teaching Thai school children.  She said they were taught nothing about dyslexia in university and that she and other teachers would label children who had problems learning to read as lazy or dumb.  She had never heard of dyslexia until she started to teach Thai reading and writing to foreigners, so she educated herself about it and wished they had taught it to her as part of her university education so she could have helped the children instead of labeling them as poor students.

If the OP's child is learning to read in Thai, it's even more difficult than English.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

About ten years ago, I studied Thai language from a Thai teacher who had a masters degree in education from a top Thai university and had taught in Thai elementary schools for several years, before switching to teaching reading and writing to adult foreigners.  We marveled at how the Thai language has so many characters in its alphabet that are so similar with just a little twist to the end of the character making them different -- พ ผ   ค ด   ช ซ  And to make it even more difficult, there is no space between the words!  Some of the guys told the teacher they had dyslexia and had to work very hard to learn to read in English and Thai was even more difficult.  

The teacher was understanding and reflected back to her days of teaching Thai school children.  She said they were taught nothing about dyslexia in university and that she and other teachers would label children who had problems learning to read as lazy or dumb.  She had never heard of dyslexia until she started to teach Thai reading and writing to foreigners, so she educated herself about it and wished they had taught it to her as part of her university education so she could have helped the children instead of labeling them as poor students.

If the OP's child is learning to read in Thai, it's even more difficult than English.

Thanks for the reply. Yes my son is also learning thai as he is in a thai/english billingual school. He is struggling with his reading/writing in thai also but i wouldn't say it's any worse than his English.

It's just very challenging getting help here in Thailand. Back in the uk there are systems in place to help children like this and his school would be at the forefront of getting him the help he needed.

His school here, whilst sympathetic, are not offering any real solutions. Any help you look for outside of his school is going to cost money and a lot of it from what i can tell.

Edited by onthedarkside
edited per poster's request

On 10/3/2020 at 6:19 PM, TC17 said:

How do you log on to LexiaCore5?

The app is asking for a valid teachers e-mail.

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have the same question. Doesn't seem to be any way of signing up to a plan either. I've sent their customer service an email, will let you know when i get a reply

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 8:03 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

No reply from lexiacore customer support so maybe its just a tool for schools to use. But one to definitely try is nessy uk , quite cheap and very fun and easy to use. My son really likes it and it has great reviews , time will tell how much it improves his reading

• Like 1