Ford Fiesta ABS module broken Pattaya

ChrisPee

Need an advise. I have a Ford Fiesta S, year 2010 1.6 petrol. Driven 94k. At Bosch service the diagnose was "ESP software malfunction", but they couldn't fix it. The ABS warning light, park brake light, slope start light and ESP light are illuminating all the time. Car works normally. Just installed new brakes. Most likely the ABS module/pump is broken. Does anyone know a good Ford garage somewhere in Chonburi who could fix this? Official Ford dealer in Pattaya asks above 30.000 thb which is quite a lot of money for me.

So, any Ford or ABS experts near Pattaya, please?

ford-fiesta-abs-light-on-960x575.jpg

Edited by ChrisPee

ABS does not work. I tested several times. I don't know the code, as I said "ESP software malfunction". I sent a message to Commie, but he is in Phuket. I am quite sure that it needs an ABS module. Tomorrow I'll go to fix the gap in steering mechanism. That might cause the problem, too. Lord knows.

All guesses are worthless without having error codes on hand. Reasons can be various, electronics (repairable), ABS motor (barely repairable), bad sensors, blown fuse etc. ABS won't work but the car can be driven as usual.

2 minutes ago, commie said:

All guesses are worthless without having error codes on hand. Reasons can be various, electronics (repairable), ABS motor (barely repairable), bad sensors, blown fuse etc. ABS won't work but the car can be driven as usual.

Thank you Sir. Tomorrow I'm gonna find out all about it in infamous Ford dealer near by in Patts. 

The ABS unit in the wifes Fiesta failed this week as well, you really need to find out what diagnostic codes you have, there were 8 codes in my wifes car

U0155 - Lost communication with Instrument Panel Cluster

U0420 - Invalid Data Received From Power Steering Control Module

U0423 - Invalid Data Received From Instrument Panel Cluster

C0034 - FR Wheel Speed Sensor

C0037 - RL Wheel Speed Sensor

U3003 - Battery Voltage

C0020 - ABS Pump Motor Control

U3000 - Control Module

So off to Ford Pattaya who quote 45000 THB for a car that is probably only worth about 150K maybe, we decline and they charge 1500 THB cos they looked at it, last Ford I will ever buy, car was brought brand new from Ford Pattaya and has been nothing but trouble and the service from Ford Pattaya has been cr*p. I drive a Toyota and the service compared to Ford has been chalk and cheese.

Plenty off these ABS modules available from scrappers in UK etc, 2nd hand units at around 2-5000 THB but the ball ache is you just cannot swap the unit as each one has to be programmed to the VIN number of the vehicle, I ask the missus to call Ford to ask what would they charge to reprogram a used unit but missus says they wont do it if you don't get the part from them, she says she called them to check but I don't know if she actually has or is just surmising that Ford wont program a self fitted 2nd hand unit.

There are some companies who will try to rework your unit overseas but I haven't found any in Thailand yet.

Edited by paul1970
  • Like 1

You say you fitted new brakes.  I assume new pads and possibly discs.

I also assume that the handbrake is electric as it has some sort of hill start function.

Could it be that you need to recalibrate the electronics to recognise that the brakes now have a new 'bite point' because of the new components fitted and the shop that fitted the brake parts did not know this?  This would be all about the operation of the handbrake as opposed to the brake system generally.

The reason I mention this is because I know that with some cars you have to recalibrate the electronics to recognise a new bite point if you fit a new clutch and brake systems have quite a few similarities with clutch systems.  With such clutch systems if you don't do the calibration process the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree.

Maybe try asking on a UK Fiesta forum because I would wager you will get more sense there than from a Ford dealer here. 

• Like 1

First thing I'd do is get on YouTube and do a search for "Fiesta ABS light".

Next, I'd look under the car for any wires that are hanging off near a wheel.  My Toyota was throwing an ABS and tire pressure light.  It turned out to be a loose sensor on one of the wheels.  Literally hanging off a wire, and real obvious.  It sensed the wheel speed, comparing it around all 4 wheels.  Since it didn't match the other wheels, the car thought the ABS was wonky and one of the tires was flat.  10 minutes with a little 5 minute epoxy and I dodged a very expensive bullet. I got the idea of looking for a loose wheel sensor based on a YouTube search.  Seems to be common cause of ABS lights.

ABS faults are failsafe.  All that happens is that your car runs like one without ABS.  So I wouldn't panic.  Get it fixed, sure.  But don't go throwing a lot of money at guessing what it is.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1