Chuwit Gets Off The Rap

eric1000

Mayoral Candidate Cleared of Underage Prostitution Charges

"PA"

A court today acquitted Thailand’s best-known sex tycoon on charges of employing underage girls as prostitutes in his massage parlours, handing him a legal victory ahead of his election bid for Bangkok mayor.

The Bangkok Criminal Court ruled there was insufficient evidence to convict Chuwit Kamolvisit, who shot to prominence last year by going public with claims that he had plied the police for years with expensive gifts and free service as payoffs to stop them from harassing him.

Chuwit hoped to turn his popularity – stemming from the embarrassment that the largely disliked police were put through – by first starting a political party and later announcing he would run for Bangkok mayor in August elections.

Chuwit was charged in May of last year with employing three women under the age of 18 to work in some of his six massage parlours which employ nearly 2,000 young women.

The charges were levelled on a complaint filed by Paveena Hongsakul, a women’s rights activist who is one of Chuwit’s rivals in the mayoral elections.

Chuwit, who was present in court when the verdict was read out, said he was unfairly persecuted.

“I was bullied by someone who wanted to make herself famous, and today it backfired on her,” Chuwit said.

It was not clear if the prosecution would appeal.

The thinly moustachioed Chuwit has been a frequent figure on national television since making the accusations in July 2003 against the police that led to several top officials being transferred even though he did not provide any evidence.

He said he went public with the accusations to retaliate against the police for failing to prevent the underage prostitution charges against him.

“Enough is enough. I’m a mad dog now,” he said in an interview at the time. “If they can’t help me out of something trivial like this, I see no point why I should continue paying.”

In Thailand, many massage parlours are fronts for prostitution – a massage by the young masseuse usually leads to sex. Chuwit denies he actively promotes prostitution but says that what goes on between the client and the masseuse is their business.

He said he spent nearly 300,000 US dollars (£165,500) on payouts to the police each month in cash, Rolex watches, European cars and free massages to look the other way. He said he had even treated them to expensive wines, house renovations, tuition fees and event tickets.

how about the charge of wrecking the bars and shops ?

the potential mayor is a vandal !

I've read about the guy before, it confirms the worst assumptions one might make about the police and politics here. Wouldn't surprise me if he made it for mayor. One wonders who is worse, him or the police or the courts. Fancy reporting anything illegal to the police or your local mp?