Sony Slaughters Goat At Ps3 Party

cdnvic

Slaughter: Horror at Sony's depraved promotion stunt with decapitated goat

Electronics giant Sony has sparked a major row over animal cruelty and the ethics of the computer industry by using a freshly slaughtered goat to promote a violent video game.

The corpse of the decapitated animal was the centrepiece of a party to celebrate the launch of the God Of War II game for the company’s PlayStation 2 console.

goatse.JPG

Guests at the event were even invited to reach inside the goat’s still-warm carcass to eat offal from its stomach.

Sickening images of the party have appeared in the company’s official PlayStation magazine – but after being contacted by The Mail on Sunday, Sony issued an apology for the gruesome stunt and promised to recall the entire print run.

Full Story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...d=1770&ct=5

It probably won't backfire among the gamer crowd, but I doubt Sony considered the rest of their market who buys TVs, laptops, and other consumer goods who might not find such things tasteful.

Well...im part of the 'gamer crowd' and have also worked in the games industry (3d graphics).. I find the stunt unbelievably sick..and i think the majority of gamers would do also. (at least i bloody hope so!)

I wonder of all those who think it is sick, how many of you are vegetarians? How many goats, cows, horses, whales, pigs, etc. etc. are killed every minute to satisfy your hunger? (I'd guess at least 1 million a minute) I don't know, but I doubt that Sony tortured the goat before beheading it, and they probably gave the goat to some employee to barbeque later. So what makes this incident "sick" as compared to all the other slaughtering going on?

Only the fact that it was publicized, it seems to me.

(The breakdown of each animal that is slaughtered is 38 million cows and calves, 95 million hogs, 5 million sheep and goats, 278 million turkeys, 20 million ducks, and over 7 billion chickens. I think that is annually. web site

They are supposedly a 'respectable' international company that has or should have some moral responsibility.

It is their reason for doing what they did that is sick in my opinion. yes im vegetarian for health reasons not that it has much to do with this topic because sony didnt kill the goat to eat it but for exploitation as a shock marketing tactic (lame).

Lets not forget they have strongly supported restrictive digital rights protection in their products (to prevent digital theft and to help their revenue) but dont mind killing to help their marketing and revenue. Theft bad for revenue but killing good for revenue. :o

I personally cant equate killing humanely (or as humanely as possible) as being the same as a gratuatis publicity stunt. :D

...for the record im also veggie...so maybe im a tad baised. :o

Guest Reimar
I'm not sure that I would go as far as saying it was unbelievable sick, in fact I'm not even shocked by it.. I wouild say as long as the animal didn't suffer then fine.. just a stunt.

totster :o

Most effective promotions ar the most bad once! That's human nature.

What's the most interested in all New's? The bad New's!

Even if the hiumans against this publication, the name SONY will be in the mind of the people!

And THAT's the things SONY want!

I'm not sure that I would go as far as saying it was unbelievable sick, in fact I'm not even shocked by it.. I wouild say as long as the animal didn't suffer then fine.. just a stunt.

totster :o

Most effective promotions ar the most bad once! That's human nature.

What's the most interested in all New's? The bad New's!

Even if the hiumans against this publication, the name SONY will be in the mind of the people!

And THAT's the things SONY want!

Not at all!

Sony will not want to be remembered for killing goats, the saying "all publicity is good publicity" is for hollywood celebrities.

Sony are already very out of touch with their average consumer, this just goes to show how much so.

There is absolutely no excuse for this type conduct.

It is amazing to me how fast Sony has deteriorated since its founder Akio Morita passed away. Their quality control is now so bad, most major companies are switching to other suppliers, wherever possible.

Even gamers are switching. Since their introduction last year, Nintendo's Wii has outsold Sony's PS3 almost 2-to-1. (3.2 million vs. 1.7million).

I for one stopped buying Sony products 2 years ago, following a string of QC problems with poor product support.

"Once bitten...twice shy."

waldwolf

For info, the following is Sony's response to what is now being calling "Goatgate":

The media event for the PS2 title God of War ll took place in Athens, Greece on 1st March. Approximately 20 journalists from European countries attended the event from a variety of gaming and lifestyle media - although none were from the UK.

The event was a theatrical dramatisation with a Greek mythological theme and, as part of the set dressing, a dead goat was provided by the production company from a qualified local butcher. Following the mainstream popularity of shows such as 'I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here' a series of challenges were set for the journalists.

The 'warm entrails' referred to in the invitation and in the Mail on Sunday article was actually a meat soup, made to a traditional Greek recipe and served to attendees in china bowls direct from the caterers. There was never any question of journalists being able to touch the goat, or indeed eat the soup direct from the body of the goat, as one report has alleged. The goat was returned to the butcher at the end of the event.

The article in UK Official PlayStation Magazine (OPSM), from which the Mail on Sunday article was sourced, was written by a journalist who did not attend and done on the basis of the invitation for the event, which employed a degree of hyperbole in order to encourage attendance - the journalist chose to take it as fact!

The photograph was one of many supplied to the magazine to provide a balanced view of the event. Unfortunately, the article was sensationalised and focused on a picture that was unrepresentative of the wider event. When we saw the article for the first time on Thursday of last week we contacted the Publisher of OPSM who accepted that the article was not appropriate for their broad audience. On Friday, before we had received any contact from the media, they agreed to remove the centre page article before the magazine goes on general sale.

We recognise that the use of a dead goat was in poor taste and fell below the high standards of conduct we set ourselves. We are conducting an enquiry to establish the circumstances behind the event in order to ensure this does not happen again. We also apologise to anyone offended by the article in the OPSM (subscription copies were sent out ahead of street date

Dave Karraker

Sr. Director, Corporate Communications

Sony Computer Entertainment America

After reading this press release, its no wonder Sony's in trouble. Doesn't anyone use common sense today?

Obviously Sony learned little from the earlier "Rootkit" fiasco.

waldwolf