Skype Handsets

JuniorExPat

I have a USB connected handset which I use with Skype at the moment but I am interested in getting hold of a WiFi and/or cordless handset a la Skype Accessories.

Does anyone here have any experience with finding such items in the Kingdom? Or any alternatives?

Ideally I would like to be able to purchase them from the comfort of my keyboard or at worst from an outlet here in Chiang Mai!

Thanks in advance,

JxP

I have a USB connected handset which I use with Skype at the moment but I am interested in getting hold of a WiFi and/or cordless handset a la Skype Accessories.

Does anyone here have any experience with finding such items in the Kingdom? Or any alternatives?

Ideally I would like to be able to purchase them from the comfort of my keyboard or at worst from an outlet here in Chiang Mai!

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Jxp, Have not seen any wireless ones in chiang mai as yet. An alternative would be to buy an adapter (something lke SIP adapter but combatible with Skype) and hook up a regular wireless phone. Not sure how much that combination might cost!

i have seen the SMC one for sale in Malaysia for 6000 plus baht. One caught my eye in Kuala Lumpur was a wi-fi phone by Aztech selling at approx 2,900THB. You might want to check out some of the online stores selling com stuff. They might carry them and deliver to chiang mai for you.

Something I found online SkypePhones

TB.

Edited by tigerbeer

I'm using a Plantronics 590 Bluetooth headset, and I'm rather satisfied with it. Was not easy to find, only one shop in Bkk was selling it (IT City in Panthip), for nearly 7000 THB. You may find one online somewhere, if not available in CM.

You will need a Bluetooth dongle if your computer doesn't have Bluetooth integrated (the universal adapter provided is only to listen music, can't use the microphone wiht it), around 1000 THB.

The answering button works only with mobile phones, never managed to use it to answer a Skype call, so you will still need a mouse click to answer.

Very good stereo quality to listen music, and mono audio quality for Skype, more than 10 meters away from the computer.

If you can, buy the 590E, it doesn't have the adapter to listen music from non Bluetooth devices, but it's a lot cheaper (and I can sell you my adapter if you need one :o ).

Guest Reimar

I using SkyGate with connected Panasonic 2.4 GHZ wireless phone.

The SkyGate is a box which is connected to the comp by USB and on the SkyGate Box are 2 RJ11 Plugs, 1 for line in and one for the phone. If a phoneline is connected, you can use the phone as normal and from the comp with Skype over the internet. The phone connected to the box can be wired or wireless!

Cost ~Baht 4,500 at IT-Mall Fortune Town Ratchadapisek Bangkok.

I use the Linksys CIT400. Works brilliantly and plugs directly into your router (no need to have your computer turned on). It is a dual mode cordless phone so works with Skype and also your landline. I just upgraded from a CIT200 which also worked without a hitch. Now that I've upgraded if anyone is interested in it, please PM me.

Regarding the Skype WiFi phones, one thing to keep in mind. While you can enter WEP and WPA passwords, if you need to connect from a hotspot that requires a web login for a connection, you will be out of luck. None of the Skype WiFi phones currently include a web browser, so there is no way to enter a userid and password.

I also have the CIT400... It works wonderful and completely stand alone with no need to have computer on. It also has a connection for a land line so you can switch between land line and skype (great for answering lobby security line!). I also have the Belkin wifi phone that is a bit of a pain the get logged onto wifi networks but once it is it works wonderful... Bad news is I don't know where you would get them in Thailand... mine came over in my suitcase :o

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Jxp, Have not seen any wireless ones in chiang mai as yet. An alternative would be to buy an adapter (something lke SIP adapter but combatible with Skype) and hook up a regular wireless phone. Not sure how much that combination might cost!

i have seen the SMC one for sale in Malaysia for 6000 plus baht. One caught my eye in Kuala Lumpur was a wi-fi phone by Aztech selling at approx 2,900THB. You might want to check out some of the online stores selling com stuff. They might carry them and deliver to chiang mai for you.

Something I found online SkypePhones

TB.

Thanks for that link TB.

JxP

Thanks in advance,

JxP

As an alternative to buying a dedicated Skype Wifi device, I did this :

My mobile phone runs the Windows Mobile 5 operating system and has built in 802.11g wifi.

I installed Skype on it and it performs very well over when i connect to a broadband internet connection via wifi.

The gprs connection works ok for skype chatting/smsing, but is a bit slow for decent calls.

Thanks in advance,

JxP

As an alternative to buying a dedicated Skype Wifi device, I did this :

My mobile phone runs the Windows Mobile 5 operating system and has built in 802.11g wifi.

I installed Skype on it and it performs very well over when i connect to a broadband internet connection via wifi.

The gprs connection works ok for skype chatting/smsing, but is a bit slow for decent calls.

thats the other expensive alternative. provided you already have a wi-fi capable PDA phone. I tired it with my wi-fi palm but it didnt work for me well.

hi there

i have skype wifi SMC WSKP100 with 50 pounds balance inside.its great can use at any wifi locations. if you wanna buy contact me]. but problem is i am at bangkok. so if any of yr friend staying at bangkok and interested to buy the same contact me

Edited by Jai Dee
Email address deleted - please see the Forum Rules

hi there

i have skype wifi SMC WSKP100 with 50 pounds balance inside.its great can use at any wifi locations. if you wanna buy contact me. but problem is i am at bangkok. so if any of yr friend staying at bangkok and interested to buy the same contact me

Just to clarify, the SMC WiFi Skype phone cannot be used at hotspots that require log-in from a web page, such as the ones found at Starbucks, because the SMC phone does not have a web browser. Also, not sure what "50 pounds balance inside" means, as the SkypeOut balance goes with a Skype userid and this can be logged on to from anywhere. The balance is not on something like a pre-paid SIM card.