Watching Aircraft At Suvarnabhumi

During some weeks after Suvarnabhumi opened, many people went there to watch the action, aircraft landing and taking off. Over the past few weeks, airport security has been tightened and they placed signs all over the place, not allowing people to park along the road anymore.

Why is it that people can't be allowed to have an enjoyable time there? There is plenty of room to allow this. For example, cars can easily be parked next to the road along runway 01R/19L without causing any interference to the traffic.

While Don Muang was/is a military installation and one was not allowed to stand along the road to take pictures, at least there was a decent viewing area in the international terminal. Suvarnabhumi officially has one, but it is very poor.

Of course, all is in the spirit of security, but we all know this is nonsense. If they want to make the airport perimeter secure, they would have to post guards all around the fence. If someone would want to fire a missile, they would still be able to do it. A patrol car or two driving around the perimeter once in a while will not stop any terrorists doing whatever they want to do, will it?

Suvarnabhumi is regarded as the pride of Thailand, yet the Thais aren't allowed to enjoy 'their' airport.

Am I really a weird aviation nerd or are there more people like me on this forum who like to watch and/or photograph aircraft?

Am I really a weird aviation nerd or are there more people like me on this forum who like to watch and/or photograph aircraft?

To answer your two questions:

1) Yes

2) I certainly hope not.

What a stupid answer

I am a plane spotter, and I share the OP's opinion. And I am not alone in this case.

To answer your two questions:

1) Yes

2) I certainly hope not.

OK . to get more serious because some people here need to lighten up a little.

Wasnt there a plot uncovered a few years ago about some JI operatives planning to fire a missile at a passenger plane at Don Muang.

Surely, the anorak and binocular brigade can understand we live in a different, more dangerous world. While terrorists could blow up planes from much farther than the perimeter fence, the dangers inherent around airports today make this small restriction relatively understandable.

Im pretty confident that if a missile was launched around the perimeter, millions of people would say "those losers at Suvarnabhumi - why did they let people loiter at the fences?"

Thank you Professor !! One more stupid comment !! And this one was supposed to lighten me up ???

Why not create a "no man's land" around all the airports in the world. Let's say 20 kms to be on a safe note ?

There are spotters almost everywhere in the world, and as far I as know, we did not hear too often about missiles fired by any terrorist hiden among them.....Besides DHL A300 in Irak, shot down far from the airport by some guerilla, I am not aware of any other event....

Be realistic, Mr Bendix, and let spotters spot.

Wasnt there a plot uncovered a few years ago about some JI operatives planning to fire a missile at a passenger plane at Don Muang.

Surely, the anorak and binocular brigade can understand we live in a different, more dangerous world. While terrorists could blow up planes from much farther than the perimeter fence, the dangers inherent around airports today make this small restriction relatively understandable.

Im pretty confident that if a missile was launched around the perimeter, millions of people would say "those losers at Suvarnabhumi - why did they let people loiter at the fences?"

Why it is suddenly a different and more dangerous world after the 9/11 attacks - assuming that's what you mean? The danger had been present all along, it just didn't happen on such a large scale before. The only recorded attack with missiles on a civil airliner carrying passengers was, as far as I know, on an Arkia Airlines Boeing 757 taking off from Mombasa, where both missiles fired missed. There might have been more incidents like this, but in any case they are very, very rare.

My point is that even with patrol cars circling the perimeter and by prohibiting people to park their cars along the fences, if a terrorist wants to fire a missile he will be able to. The only way to prevent this is by having guards all around the perimeter who keep a constant eye on everything that goes on - like at military air bases or Istanbul's Ataturk Airport. That is, if they don't fall asleep or sit to read the newspaper.

In any way, terrorists can do much more harm by blowing up the airport infrastructure itself. I mean, how many airports scan the people when they get into the terminal building. Very few. Some even don't scan people right until the gate. So one could walk into the terminal building and set off a bomb at the check-in area or in the queue at passport control. Again, Istanbul's airport is one of the few I know where everyone entering the terminal building is scanned at the entrance.

By the way, you forgot to mention photo and film cameras as part of the equipment of the anorak and binocular brigade... I don't even have binoculars... :o

In any way, terrorists can do much more harm by blowing up the airport infrastructure itself. I mean, how many airports scan the people when they get into the terminal building. Very few. Some even don't scan people right until the gate. So one could walk into the terminal building and set off a bomb at the check-in area or in the queue at passport control. Again, Istanbul's airport is one of the few I know where everyone entering the terminal building is scanned at the entrance.

Ninoy Aquino (Manila) airport only allows bona fide travellers into the terminal, on production of a valid ticket, and scans them at the entrance.

I don't know the road in question but I do know just after Camp Swampy opened there was some traffic congestion caused by sightseers so maybe that is why they have stopped it. Many roads around airports are built with access for emergency services in mind so any congestion is unacceptable. Plus you know what people are like, all people not just Thais, allow parking one side of the road, then it becomes both sides, then throw in the food vendors.

As for the sterile zone around airports, I'm sure it's been given serious consideration but at most airports it would be totally impractical.

But it shouldn't be beyond their capabilities to have a public access observation deck somewhere around the airport. If there was a little money to be made doing it King Power would have the monopoly but the problem then would be that you couldn't see the planes for all the shops.

I'd be more than happy to pay for access to a place with good sight lines where access is controlled but once inside you get a close view of the aircraft. Pretty hard to sneak an SA-7 in there.

Seem to remember that they hid the thing in a golf bag but got sussed out when one of the caddies got suspicous when she noticed that the guy (golfer)had the wrong type of shoes on :o ...

Who needs MI5 or the CIA when you have Don Muang undercover Caddies like that......

I am with you on this....

I'd be more than happy to pay for access to a place with good sight lines where access is controlled but once inside you get a close view of the aircraft. Pretty hard to sneak an SA-7 in there.

Actually I'm intrigued to see so many planespotters here on Thai Visa. Perhaps you should form a sub-forum where you can discuss the different liveries of each airline .. ummm . . and the numbers printed on the tails . . and . . ummmmm . . compare notes and shit like that.

Plane goes up. Plane comes down. Plane goes up. Plane comes down. Plane goes up. Plane comes down. It seems an intriguing way to spend a few hours. I can't believe I've failed to see the attraction all these years.

Actually I'm intrigued to see so many planespotters here on Thai Visa. Perhaps you should form a sub-forum where you can discuss the different liveries of each airline .. ummm . . and the numbers printed on the tails . . and . . ummmmm . . compare notes and shit like that.

Plane goes up. Plane comes down. Plane goes up. Plane comes down. Plane goes up. Plane comes down. It seems an intriguing way to spend a few hours. I can't believe I've failed to see the attraction all these years.

I don't know why you even bother to reply to this thread if you have such problems with planespotters. It is a hobby, just like any other hobby. Maybe your hobby is sitting in a bar the whole day and drink beer. Or watching football matches whenever you can. Or having a different lady to please you every night. That's up to you, isn't it? None of those three options interest me, however, watching and photographing planes at various airports around the world does.

No, we don't need a seperate planespotting forum on Thaivisa, because there are several such sites already. I own and run one such site myself. Yes, I am also quite intrigued to find out that there are more people who like aviation the way I do. That's great!

Some people see the beauty of a flying machine, others don't. I could care less about counting tail numbers, but the machine itself is something I've been enthralled with since I was a kid.

Not sure I understand why this perplexes you so much Bendix. There are lovers of art all over the world. It just happens that these works of art are also handy for transporting people and cargo.

I don't know why you even bother to reply to this thread if you have such problems with planespotters. It is a hobby, just like any other hobby. Maybe your hobby is sitting in a bar the whole day and drink beer. Or watching football matches whenever you can. Or having a different lady to please you every night. That's up to you, isn't it? None of those three options interest me, however, watching and photographing planes at various airports around the world does.

No, we don't need a seperate planespotting forum on Thaivisa, because there are several such sites already. I own and run one such site myself. Yes, I am also quite intrigued to find out that there are more people who like aviation the way I do. That's great!

I reply because it's fun. Hey, don't take it so seriously - I'm happy you're happy doing whatever you do. We don't all have to agree. Please feel free to rip the crap out of any opinion or preference I make here. Many others do. It can be a lot of fun . . . :o

But it shouldn't be beyond their capabilities to have a public access observation deck somewhere around the airport. If there was a little money to be made doing it King Power would have the monopoly but the problem then would be that you couldn't see the planes for all the shops.

Various major airports around the world have excellent facilities for watching the action, and it's not just for planespotters. It often is also a nice family outing during the weekends, etc. It is in fact very easy to have a dedicated car park, with some benches and binoculars maybe, a little area for food vendors, or maybe a fast-food outlet and such. It could also be a way of making some more money... so they can fund the runway repairs :D

I reply because it's fun. Hey, don't take it so seriously - I'm happy you're happy doing whatever you do. We don't all have to agree. Please feel free to rip the crap out of any opinion or preference I make here. Many others do. It can be a lot of fun . . . :o

I don't really feel like 'ripping the crap' out of your opinion, you're free to say what you think. I just didn't much like the tone you said it in, that's all. I prefer to keep it civilised whenever possible.

And what kind of hobby do you have ? Not being disrespectful, but I am curious to know if I am missing something....

Ah, now I get it, it's about the going up and down bit, eh? :D

Bendix is a elevator spotter ?????????

:o:D

Well, many different brands, capacities, serial numbers, colours... hmmm, could be as interesting as planespotting maybe? :D

Couldn't agree more.

Must authorities wait for food carts and street vendors to show up before something is done?

Yes, I am also quite intrigued to find out that there are more people who like aviation the way I do. That's great!

I'm also a licensed private pilot and do love flying and watching different aircraft. Was also in the Air Force (Strategic Air Command) and that's where it all began (watching a fighter jet going vertical right after liftoff - top stuff). I live over the flight path of the airport and even now will watch when one flies over and checking the aircraft type out. But no, I don't jump up from my computer and go dashing out when I hear one. Been to countless air shows and never fails to give me a nice fuzzy feeling when I see them perform. :o

Couldn't agree more.

Must authorities wait for food carts and street vendors to show up before something is done?

What do you mean? Do people watching aircraft or food vendors providing for these people annoy you for any particular reason? What should be done then, in your opinion?

I'm gonna fire up FS2004 and buzz Tywais in a Starfighter from CNX. :o

You're a bit behind already what with my Flight SIM-X. :D

I tried out FSX on a fairly beefy machine and it was a bit choppy. So until I max out my memory on this, I'm holding back.