Livestock Prices

Does anyone know the average prices for calves, piglets etc.?

My future father in-law is always asking me about cows and other livestock and what they are like back in my home country. He is a simple rice farmer, but I get the feeling that he would like to get into livestock farming. This has given me the idea of perhaps purchasing some livestock as a gift. He has land available for them and there is no shortage of people, in his village, who would be willing to help him with advice and farming tips.

I don't want to ask him directly, to look into prices with the locals, as I would like it to be a suprise. Eg. organise someone to errect the pens and fencing while he is on a visit to Bangkok. Oh, most of the land, that he has available, is in my future wifes name and I would clear it all with her first.

My future father in-law is always asking me about cows and other livestock and what they are like back in my home country. He is a simple rice farmer, but I get the feeling that he would like to get into livestock farming. This has given me the idea of perhaps purchasing some livestock as a gift. He has land available for them and there is no shortage of people, in his village, who would be willing to help him with advice and farming tips.

I don't want to ask him directly, to look into prices with the locals, as I would like it to be a suprise. Eg. organise someone to errect the pens and fencing while he is on a visit to Bangkok. Oh, most of the land, that he has available, is in my future wifes name and I would clear it all with her first.

The price for cows are not easy to set, I've seen prices from 5.000 baht to 50.000.000 baht for one cow, so I guess it depends on, how big a suprise you want it to be.

Tilapia.

"I've seen prices from 5.000 baht to 50.000.000 baht for one cow..."

i am very much interested in that stuff you consume. do you smoke it, chew it or shoot it intravenous?

:o

i am very much interested in that stuff you consume. do you smoke it, chew it or shoot it intravenous?

Sorry mate, dont smoke or do other strange things. Do you know the breed of cows with the long big ears ?? It is a fancy thing for people with to much money, well one or more of these cows are priced at 50million baht, they even use a red carpet when the owner takes it out to public show. Check it, in some of the magazines for cattle or live-stock, you will be suprised.

If the cow is to expensive then there are also figthing-chickens avalible for 600.000 to 1mill baht, take your pick.

Tilapia.

Sorry mate, dont smoke or do other strange things. Do you know the breed of cows with the long big ears ?? It is a fancy thing for people with to much money, well one or more of these cows are priced at 50million baht, they even use a red carpet when the owner takes it out to public show. Check it, in some of the magazines for cattle or live-stock, you will be suprised.

If the cow is to expensive then there are also figthing-chickens avalible for 600.000 to 1mill baht, take your pick.

Tilapia.

right on,

also look at the prices they ask for the sperm from these champions, crazy!!!!!

Tilapia.

i will most humbly stand corrected and apologize if you provide a link that verifies the existence of THB 50million cattle (per head) in Thailand. until then i am dreaming of ingesting that stuff you won't disclose and get high² like you.

:D

Record price for a bull in Thailand: set in 2005 (June) - Baht 18 300 000 - (the owner had hoped he would get somewhere around Baht 40 - 50mill).

Fighting cocks - Baht 1 mill for a top quality fighting cock - thats nothing, I've seen them trade hands with my own eyes for between 3 and 5 mill on more than one occassion. Remember - that sort of money can be earned by a top bird in a few fights!

MF

Back to your question ..... it really is impossible to answer with the info you have given.

You need to efine a few things first:

- what type of animals do you want (if cattle, will they be for milk or meat/beef)

- what age do you want to get them at (the younger the cheaper they will be - but the longer they will takew to mature and get a return from).

But before that, you should really take a look at what facilities you have i.e. what land you have, what water you - and how many head can you support with that land, before you have to start buying in feed for the dry season (which will impact the profit/loss side of things). Then you need to make a plan regards manageing the resources you have (i.e. managing the land in the best way).

Then you need to establish who is going to take care of the animals.

I won't re-hash it all here - it's been discussed in depth on other threads of the Farming forum - storngly recomend you read them.

When you have given all that thought - then you can start deciding what to get, how old they should be and how many to purchase.

Costwise: for the cattle depending on age and type - anywhere from Baht 3000 (calve) thru to Baht 20-25 000 (mature animal) per head is a pretty representative figure. But this really is your last factor in the equation - it's your capital outlay - but it will not be your ongoing expense - which is where a lot of guys come unstuck.

Good luck

MF

Boy-Ubon-50 million baht-refused-no BULL, no pun intended. He is the top producing Indu Brazil bull in Thailand, Petong 555's owner recently refused 40 million. I have personally seen Indu's change hands for up to 20 million.

Tilapia.

i will most humbly stand corrected and apologize if you provide a link that verifies the existence of THB 50million cattle (per head) in Thailand. until then i am dreaming of ingesting that stuff you won't disclose and get high² like you.

Dr Naam.

I haven't seen any link with those prices, but if you look at some of the other members replies, that should give you a pretty good picture of it.

Tilapia.

ps. no way you get your hands on my weed.

My Tg purchased some piglets a few months back for 1000 baht each, it cost her 3000 baht a month to feed 4 piglets, and what surprised me, I asked her how much the piglets would be worth after 4-6 months, and she told me, she should received about 10,000 baht for each pig, right now they are selling for only 4-6,000 baht each and she will not sell them.

My Tg purchased some piglets a few months back for 1000 baht each, it cost her 3000 baht a month to feed 4 piglets, and what surprised me, I asked her how much the piglets would be worth after 4-6 months, and she told me, she should received about 10,000 baht for each pig, right now they are selling for only 4-6,000 baht each and she will not sell them.

Hi Nitehawk.

Pigs are normally sold when the weight is between 90-100kg/pig, the current price form whole pigs is around 35-40 baht/kg at this moment, so if she can get 4-6.000 baht now, then she should take it, unless the pigs are 250kg/pig, and it would take some feeding to get that weight in 4-6 month. Good luck with it.

Tilapia.

Hi Nitehawk.

Pigs are normally sold when the weight is between 90-100kg/pig, the current price form whole pigs is around 35-40 baht/kg at this moment, so if she can get 4-6.000 baht now, then she should take it, unless the pigs are 250kg/pig, and it would take some feeding to get that weight in 4-6 month. Good luck with it.

Tilapia.

Did you see in the Bangkok Post yesterday - pig farmers went to demonstrate outside the office of CPF in Bangkok. The article said the farmers were complaining that CPF was selling pork products a few baht cheaper than those of small-scale pig farmers. The article also quoted an official in the livestock department as saying that pork prices were still good but the big companies were deliberately selling pigs at low prices to force the small-scale pig farmers out of business. Somehow, the government official's claims didn't make sense to me. It seems more likely to me that CPF and other other big producers can produce pigs/pork more cheaply than the small-scale farmers just because of better management, greater efficiency, economies of scale, etc. To me it's just like the big supermarket chains like Tesco and Big C are pushing out the small mom-and-pop stores by offering better service (air conditioning, car parking, one-stop-shopping, shopping trolleys, clearly marked prices, etc). As a consumer, I don't care about the profitability of the small-scale pig farmers and mom-and-pop stores. If they want to stay in business then they'd better offer what consumers want - lower prices and/or better products & services.

What do others think?

JB.

P.S. Hi Tilapia, So what type of bike is that? One you pedal or one you fill with fuel? I'm into the pedaling type where I get filled with fuel, including the occasional tilapia (grilled)! :o

Hi Nitehawk.

Tilapia.

Did you see in the Bangkok Post yesterday - pig farmers went to demonstrate outside the office of CPF in Bangkok. The article said the farmers were complaining that CPF was selling pork products a few baht cheaper than those of small-scale pig farmers. The article also quoted an official in the livestock department as saying that pork prices were still good but the big companies were deliberately selling pigs at low prices to force the small-scale pig farmers out of business. Somehow, the government official's claims didn't make sense to me. It seems more likely to me that CPF and other other big producers can produce pigs/pork more cheaply than the small-scale farmers just because of better management, greater efficiency, economies of scale, etc. To me it's just like the big supermarket chains like Tesco and Big C are pushing out the small mom-and-pop stores by offering better service (air conditioning, car parking, one-stop-shopping, shopping trolleys, clearly marked prices, etc). As a consumer, I don't care about the profitability of the small-scale pig farmers and mom-and-pop stores. If they want to stay in business then they'd better offer what consumers want - lower prices and/or better products & services.

What do others think?

JB.

P.S. Hi Tilapia, So what type of bike is that? One you pedal or one you fill with fuel? I'm into the pedaling type where I get filled with fuel, including the occasional tilapia (grilled)! :o

Hi JB.

It is typical CPF strategy, they did the same with the chicken market, there are many middle scale pig-farmers, and they can in fact beat CPF on the production price (there overhead cost is much lower) but CPF is not just a company, they have so much influence in the agriculture area, so they dictate more or less who stays in business and who dosent. CPF can affort to dump the price for a period of time, not many of the rural farmers can do that, unless they are well founded, and that is normaly not the case. I had my fight with CPF, they bully there way ahead, not thinking of the damage they do to small farmers, including me, but somehow I manage to do the unexspected, so now I have them where it hurts, on a small market but never the less, they are losing money, and it just makes my day.

Tilapia.

Ps My bike has sligtly more power than the pedal type, and it runs on fuel, not carbonhydrate.

We sell kid goats at around 500 to 900 baht per weaned male and around 1,500 to 2,000 baht per weaned female. Weaning is at 8 weeks. Prices rise with age. Adult female suitable for breeding: 4,000 baht up. Adult male for breeding: 2,000 baht up. These are local goats, selectively bred over the last four years for size and milk yield.

goat lprices!!!!!!!!!! just to give u a glimpse, in shekels we sell a weanling at 250 shekels (about 8 baht to a shekel i think ) a stud male can be 3,000 + , and a good doe, 700-1000 shekels!!!! we sell kids at about 15 kilo which is what the clients want so the price goes up. they dont want to fatten, they want the (male uncastrated) kids ready for the makluba (rice and goat meat)....

i would love to see pics; are yours primarily for meat or milk or both?? , as i recall, those up north were practiclly ready to give away goats as there was no market for them (korat area). and u all do cheese???

have u read maizefarmer's buffalo thread? and thought about mozarrella?

bina

israel

Hi Nitehawk.

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

I told my TG to sell the pigs now, that the prices she told me were at the moment above the market price, the pigs are no way 250kg/pig, I would say more like 90-100 kg/pig, her exact words to me, you no feed pigs I feed pigs everyday, I give pigs water and I go to market and buy pig feed, I work work work everyday take care pigs, I no sale pigs for 5-6,000 baht. I told her I wanted to bar-b-que a pig in June, she told me, you give me one 10,000 baht. I tell her 5555555555

Is there a website where I can keep track of the sale prices for pigs, chickens and cows?

Hi Nitehawk.

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

I told my TG to sell the pigs now, that the prices she told me were at the moment above the market price, the pigs are no way 250kg/pig, I would say more like 90-100 kg/pig, her exact words to me, you no feed pigs I feed pigs everyday, I give pigs water and I go to market and buy pig feed, I work work work everyday take care pigs, I no sale pigs for 5-6,000 baht. I told her I wanted to bar-b-que a pig in June, she told me, you give me one 10,000 baht. I tell her 5555555555

Is there a website where I can keep track of the sale prices for pigs, chickens and cows?

Hi Nitehawk.

I'm not sure if there is a website with the market price, it is not the same from province to province, it is easy for me cuz I'm in it every day, except cows, and at the pressent time, almost everybody loses money on pigs, due to CP's dumping price. We produce pig-feed and our costumers all cry, and want me to lower the price, but that is not possible since the price for raw material is going up.... Tough world. If she keeps the pigs, and the weight is more than 100kg/pig, then it will be harder to sell them, unless she is willing to go down in price...And it dosent sounds like she want to do that.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Tilapia.

Hi Nitehawk.

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

Hi Nitehawk.

I'm not sure if there is a website with the market price, it is not the same from province to province, it is easy for me cuz I'm in it every day, except cows, and at the pressent time, almost everybody loses money on pigs, due to CP's dumping price. We produce pig-feed and our costumers all cry, and want me to lower the price, but that is not possible since the price for raw material is going up.... Tough world. If she keeps the pigs, and the weight is more than 100kg/pig, then it will be harder to sell them, unless she is willing to go down in price...And it dosent sounds like she want to do that.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Tilapia.

Tilapia,

I told her to sale pigs now, that are at 100/kg, less money later.

goat lprices!!!!!!!!!! just to give u a glimpse, in shekels we sell a weanling at 250 shekels (about 8 baht to a shekel i think ) a stud male can be 3,000 + , and a good doe, 700-1000 shekels!!!! we sell kids at about 15 kilo which is what the clients want so the price goes up. they dont want to fatten, they want the (male uncastrated) kids ready for the makluba (rice and goat meat)....

i would love to see pics; are yours primarily for meat or milk or both?? , as i recall, those up north were practiclly ready to give away goats as there was no market for them (korat area). and u all do cheese???

have u read maizefarmer's buffalo thread? and thought about mozarrella?

bina

israel

Pics are on my website. See my profile (click on the goat pic upper left). We do milk and make cheese. No slaughtering done here. It's just a hobby farm and i treat my goats as pets. They are getting a bit plentiful, however. I see some of my workers salivating over a few of them. :o

Edited by goatfarmer

Tilapia.

right on,

also look at the prices they ask for the sperm from these champions, crazy!!!!!

Last time I was out in Mao-on we were talking to some of the farmers and they asked K.wife if I could ...serious now ...bring over some packets of bull sperm from the UK. :D

They obviously all know of the reputation of the Aberdeen Angus and I suspect that they think that i can just go into a local shop over here ..and buy some.. :D

Suppose it makes a change from Manchester U foot ball shirts and packet of mars bars /Chivas R whisky...etc...but they seem quite as said... serious...Gotta admit ..on a Mai K jai.....and whats is the situation...

Can it be done ...and even more so is it allowed.?

Can it be done yes, and yes, it is legal - no particular import problems - thats the easy part

But it's not as straightforward as that: it needs to be cryogenicaly frozen in a double walled container with liquid nitrogen.

The process is expensive and logistically complicated. It would be difficult to justify economically unless you brought over a whole container full of straws (straws - are the individual tubes used to hold semen) - and you would then have to sell them.

Who would select the straws to start, what criteria would be applied to select them it's not as straightforward as it sounds in casual conversation with a bunch of eager farmers. Angus is in any event already avalible in Thailand.

MF