Passenger Rights

onzestan

Hi there,

I know the new regulation about passeger rights for flights originating or arriving in the EU.

What is not so clear is, when I fly Bangkok/Abu Dhabi/Frankfurt return, do these apply also, or only the leg from Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt.

If not, what are the passengers rights for flights originating from Bangkok?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Onzestan

Not sure what you mean about rights but I flew BKK-AUH-LHR and back last month.

Outward no restriction on anything liquid etc but at LHR they wanted to confiscate all over 100ml and I mean even if it was half empty and only 105ml full !

The people doing the confiscating were British Airports Authority people. Notably, these are the same people who own the airports and charge massive rents to the retail outlets which you have to use to replenish your confiscated water etc. Total rip off.

Warsaw convention applies, updated by the Montreal convention?

Think the OP has a good question. If you fly BKK AUH then you have no guaranteed compensation if you are bounced or the flight doesn't go.

If you fly BKK LHR then you get the guaranteed EU compensation.

So if you fly BKK LHR via AUH - on a single connecting ticket and you are bounced in BKK do you get the EU compensation?

I think you should but the airlines are loathed to pay the compensation even in Europe.

Warsaw convention applies, updated by the Montreal convention?

Think the OP has a good question. If you fly BKK AUH then you have no guaranteed compensation if you are bounced or the flight doesn't go.

If you fly BKK LHR then you get the guaranteed EU compensation.

So if you fly BKK LHR via AUH - on a single connecting ticket and you are bounced in BKK do you get the EU compensation?

I think you should but the airlines are loathed to pay the compensation even in Europe.

That's exactly what is unclear to me. I have one ticket but 2 flight numbers so I imagine that only the flight AUH/Europe is covered.

BTW if you want to know the new improved rules for flights from and to EU countries go to :

http://ec.europe.eu/transport/air_portal/p...ts/index_en.htm

There's an interesting quick-poll running on "Skytrax" (www.airlinequality.com) that shows that only 18 % of travelers know their rights in case of overbooking, cancelation or long delay by the airlines.

A frightening result!

No wonder the airlines can get away with so much. :o

cheers

onzestan

Yes, but even if the airline puts you up in a hotel, or gives you a meal voucher there is nothing specifying the quality of these compensations. When flying on Finnair from UK to BKK, with the connection at Helsinki, (their hub), they put all passengers in a skanky hotel, which was chaotic, and this despite flying Business Class. Unfortunately Finnair is such a small airline that their service is frequently interrupted, with delays and lay overs, so that the apparent benefits of travelling on them are somewhat muted. Whilst in-flight is as good as many, the general ground service, including the one I've described, means that I would never ever use them again.

What airline offer can vary, but what EU law sates is that if you are on a BKK-LHR flight and are bounced you get Euro600 compensation, meals and hotel, re-booked on next flight etc.

Correction for the link:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air_portal/p...ts/index_en.htm

Thanks Briley,

I think we are barking up the wrong tree here, as stated at skytrax people don't seem interested to know their rights. Only when something happens they start moaning and complaining. Better to be well informed.

Anyway thanks again for the correction on the link.

cheers

onzestan

I think one of the worst compensation issues is the "units" or whatever relating baggage value to weight ! Can't remember the exact wording but it is a bloody disgrace.

I remember Beckham and Posh getting hundredds of thousands (apparently) from BA because their bags went AWOL. I threatened to sue Lufthansa on a STN-FRT-STN flight when my bag was mislaid on the return leg only after they insisted I put in the hold as I had a pair of tweezers. That despite the fact that 2 days previously I had travelled the outward leg with them with the tweezers in hand luggage !

As with most people I do business with, they have a letter on file informing them how much I will charge per hour for my time if they screw up in any way shape or form. It doesn't matter if they reject your letter, they must keep it as you can refer to it later in disputes. If in the UK, sue them in the Small Claims Court. They always capitulate as their costs of defending the petition are usually far greater than the amount claimed.