White Castle

In the Chicago area (literally known as Chicagoland), Prince Castle was the equivalent. The building was in the shape of a castle with towers. Big glass windows. You walked in and ordered. They were not, however, teensy burgers. These stores preceded Mr. Kroc's experiment in DesPlaines, which he called McDonald's.

You mean the burger joint from the east coast? Real small burgers, eat 'em like popcorn?

Yup, yup, thats the one. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Never order 1 or 2, but always by the dozen.

Give me 3 dozen please, or if hungry sometimes 4 dozen

Every time I return to The States my first stop after leaving the airport is White Castle. Get a box of jalapeno cheeseburgers to go. I look forward to the White Castles more than Christmas dinner.

Sliders rule.

They're sort of an acquired taste, but if you're in the midwest or on the east coast, it's nice to have a White Castle burger once in a while. Actually, I usually buy them by the sackful. To eat 12 at one sitting wouldn't be too much. Depends on how hungry you are. I forget how much they cost now. Maybe about 30 cents each?

J

I had a hankering for some sliders (aka gut bombs) one day and googled a recipe. It was pretty easy and the result was a very close approximation. I would like about 8 right now. Back home we always used to hit White Castle after a night out.

did you poke those holes in them? i think part of the trick is to keep the heat in by using the cardboard packaging.

Most definitely. The other thing is that they are not flipped. You lay down the onions and put the burger on top. Hey, here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

8 hot-dog or 16 hamburger buns

1/2 medium onion

salt to taste

pepper to taste

American cheese (optional)

Pickle slices (optional)

Directions:

Prepare the beef ahead of time by separating into sixteen 1-ounce portions and flattening each on wax paper into a very thing square patty, about 2 1/2 inches square. Using a small circular object, like the tip of a pen cap, make five small, evenly spaced holes in each patty. Freeze the patties, still on the wax paper, until youre ready to cook.

If using hot dog buns, cut off the ends, and then cut each bun in half to make 2 buns from each. If using hamburger buns, cut each down to about a 2 1/2 inch square.

Slice the onion into match-size pieces.

Grill the faces of the buns in a large pan over medium-high heat.

In the hot pan, spread out tablespoon-size piles of onions 3 inches apart. Salt and pepper each pile of onions.

On each pile of onions, place a frozen beef patty. Your may have to spread the onions out some so that the hamburger lies flat. Salt each patty as it cooks.

Cook each burger for 4 to 5 minutes on the onions. If you made the burgers thin enough, the holes will ensure that each patty is cooked through without flipping them over.

Assemble by sandwiching the patty and onions between each grilled onions.

If you want to add pickle slices to your burger, as you can at White castle outlets, stack them on top of the grilled onions.

For a cheeseburger, you'll have to cut a slice of American cheese to the same size as your burger, and then it goes on top of the onions, under the pickles, if you use pickles.

in Nashville, TN they useta have Crystal burgers that useta be something like White Castle. When out with the grandparents in the 50s couldn't pass an outlet without hookin' down a dozen or so...useta gain lotsa weight spending the Summer at the grandparents'...

Just to get things Thai related, one of the things I miss about the US is Ma and Pa Bartley’s (I suppose it's just Pa's place since Ma died ... haven't been there for a few years ... hope Pa's still alive. Anyone know?)

Oh dear. I've just remembered the raspberry lime rickys ...

in Nashville, TN they useta have Crystal burgers that useta be something like White Castle. When out with the grandparents in the 50s couldn't pass an outlet without hookin' down a dozen or so...useta gain lotsa weight spending the Summer at the grandparents'...

Krystal Burger? They are still around and you can find a short article on them in Wikipedia. Apparently there were/are several copycat WC chains in different parts of the US.

did you poke those holes in them? i think part of the trick is to keep the heat in by using the cardboard packaging.

Most definitely. The other thing is that they are not flipped. You lay down the onions and put the burger on top. Hey, here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1/2 medium onion

salt to taste

pepper to taste

Pickle slices (optional)

Directions:

Prepare the beef ahead of time by separating into sixteen 1-ounce portions and flattening each on wax paper into a very thing square patty, about 2 1/2 inches square. Using a small circular object, like the tip of a pen cap, make five small, evenly spaced holes in each patty. Freeze the patties, still on the wax paper, until youre ready to cook.

If using hot dog buns, cut off the ends, and then cut each bun in half to make 2 buns from each. If using hamburger buns, cut each down to about a 2 1/2 inch square.

In the hot pan, spread out tablespoon-size piles of onions 3 inches apart. Salt and pepper each pile of onions.

On each pile of onions, place a frozen beef patty. Your may have to spread the onions out some so that the hamburger lies flat. Salt each patty as it cooks.

Cook each burger for 4 to 5 minutes on the onions. If you made the burgers thin enough, the holes will ensure that each patty is cooked through without flipping them over.

If you want to add pickle slices to your burger, as you can at White castle outlets, stack them on top of the grilled onions.

For a cheeseburger, you'll have to cut a slice of American cheese to the same size as your burger, and then it goes on top of the onions, under the pickles, if you use pickles.

good call on the hot dog buns, i imagine when cut down to size theyd be pretty much like the real bread.

Krystal Burger? They are still around and you can find a short article on them in Wikipedia. Apparently there were/are several copycat WC chains in different parts of the US.

There are several in the Atlanta airport, at least two that I know of in the Delta boarding areas. People buy bags of the little critters and bring them onto Delta flights and the aroma drives you crazy if you didn't buy your own bag before you got on.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1/2 medium onion

salt to taste

pepper to taste

Pickle slices (optional)

Directions:

Spot on qualtrough,

I've been making these for a few years (with the hot dog buns) and the only thing I can add is to make sure you flatten them out. When I first started making them, I made the pattys too thick....when you do it right, you can't taste the difference between yours and store bought.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1/2 medium onion

salt to taste

pepper to taste

Pickle slices (optional)

Directions:

Spot on qualtrough,

I've been making these for a few years (with the hot dog buns) and the only thing I can add is to make sure you flatten them out. When I first started making them, I made the pattys too thick....when you do it right, you can't taste the difference between yours and store bought.

I should point out that this is not my recipe. I found it on the Web some time ago. I just came back from Villa with all the fixins to make me a batch of sliders. In addition to being flat as you say, I think it is important to freeze them first. Ideally when cooking them you would wear one of those paper White Castle hats, but haven't been able to source those here yet. :o