Buying A Truck On Samui. Advice Needed.

Hey Everyone.

I'm looking to buy a truck for my new job I start this week. It involves driving around the island a lot. If I did this on my motorbike I can see my life expectancy decreasing rapidly!... I also need to carry equipment around so a truck is ideal.

I don't want to buy a brand new truck and was thinking of going to a dealer on the mainland to buy 2nd hand, however a lot of people have warned me not to go to a dealer and told me to look for one on the island.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me where to look for one and what papers I will need to buy one?...

I'm looking to spend around 350,000 baht. I'm sure I could get a decent one for that price. I quite like the Toyota Vigo or the Toyota Tiger.

Are there any mechanics on the island that could check it out for me?...

Maybe it would be better to buy a brand new one as I'd get some kind of warranty with it.

Any advice in general is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cinders.

One of the things I like about Thai Visa is the way anyone can ask for help or advice and there is usually someone happy to help out. I noticed you only had 47 posts in 4 years and 2 of them were on the board so had a quick glance at your previous posts. Any chance of being a bit more giving yourself?

Hi Cinders,

I would have thought that you will pay a premiun by buying a truck on Koh Samui, If I were to buy a truck I would try and buy one of a friend or colleauge whereby I know the history of the truck.

Alternatively a trip to Suratthani can be a good way of working out the going rate for 2nd hand trucks, there are lots of used dealers on the Suratthani ring road between Big C and Tesco Lotus, armed with this information you may be able to strike a good deal on Koh Samui.

Please let us know how you go on

Good Luck

MM

P.S have heard very good reports from people who bought second hand trucks through expat motors in Bangkok, and then brought them to KPG

Edited by mosquitoman

One more truck on my island... :o

Your Island!!!.....have i missed something here,you need to lay off the ale son.Anyway back to the post,you can get some good deals on the mainland,not too sure about here,best bet,carry on asking around,someone on this forum might have a truck for sale.Good luck.

What are you driving ?

I am driving MY Honda Dream or MY mountainbike on MY island.

Nothing is more annoying then all of this f***ing dangerous trucks on Koh Samui.

Cheers from Nathon, Claude

What are you driving ?

I am driving MY Honda Dream or MY mountainbike on MY island.

Nothing is more annoying then all of this f***ing dangerous trucks on Koh Samui.

I think Cinders is after a pick-up not an articulated lorry.If this is your f###ing island Claude,repair the roads ,the electric,the water problems.No, there is nothing more annoying than the likes of you.

The OP asked a civilised and sensible question and I am sure that he did not expect silly bickering to break out.

Please keep it on topic and if you have nothing sensible to say which would assist the OP then I suggest saying nothing is the way to go.

Thanks.

Hey Everyone.

I'm looking to buy a truck for my new job I start this week. It involves driving around the island a lot. If I did this on my motorbike I can see my life expectancy decreasing rapidly!... I also need to carry equipment around so a truck is ideal.

I don't want to buy a brand new truck and was thinking of going to a dealer on the mainland to buy 2nd hand, however a lot of people have warned me not to go to a dealer and told me to look for one on the island.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me where to look for one and what papers I will need to buy one?...

I'm looking to spend around 350,000 baht. I'm sure I could get a decent one for that price. I quite like the Toyota Vigo or the Toyota Tiger.

Are there any mechanics on the island that could check it out for me?...

Maybe it would be better to buy a brand new one as I'd get some kind of warranty with it.

Any advice in general is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cinders.

Cinders, think about the amount of trucks, cars, etc on the Island already, so if you buy from the mainland, you are not helping the problem you mentioned in the first place. Buy used from someone that are leaving Samui, that way you won't be helping the many new trucks, cars that have swarmed the Island the last 4-5 years. At least this way you won't have bad Karma. :ermm:Not to speak of Golbal warming.- Hope you make a wise decision.

Edited by SamuiJens

I need a Hummer preferably Black, if it's a V8 all the better if not a 5 litre diesel will be OK. I will be back on Samui soon.

sorry sir ,they only come in matched pairs ,

you know , his and hers .............................

The OP does not need to be berated about global warming she has stated a perfectly valid reason for buying a truck.

I wonder which of you have aircon at home?

Cinders go for it!

MM

The OP does not need to be berated about global warming she has stated a perfectly valid reason for buying a truck.

I wonder which of you have aircon at home?

Cinders go for it!

MM

check out the notice board at tesco lotus theres nearly always trucks for sale find one test drive it to dan autos in maenan he will check it over for a small fee .drive round the island there are lots of second hand moters for sale ,tell your freinds you'll soon find one ,going to the mainland is ok but finding someone to check it over unless you speak thai is very difficult good luck :o

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I was actually after a cement-mixer truck to race around the Island at stupid speeds whilst overtaking and racing other cement-mixer trucks. (Idiots)

I will certainly look at buying one on the Island 2nd hand.

Thanks again,

Cinders.

Cinders,

Before you buy second hand have a look at new Mitsubishi Triton pick-up 2 door about 350,000bt, the other makes are about same price, if it's new nothing to do maintenance wise for about 4 years.

Cinders,

with my poor english knowledge a truck is a truck and a pick-up is a pick-up.

Maybe thats the reason for some strange arguments.

If you mean a truck that can look like a pick-up you can look at Samui newspaper advertisings.

Look for sb farang who has to sell his pick-up because he needs fast cash.

Cinders,

Before you buy second hand have a look at new Mitsubishi Triton pick-up 2 door about 350,000bt, the other makes are about same price, if it's new nothing to do maintenance wise for about 4 years.

Hey John. Where can you find a deal like you mentioned above?... On the Island?...

Cinders.

Cinders,

I think John is referring to a 2x2 & not a 4x4. Mitsubishi dealer is on the ring road before you get to Nathon,coming in from Lamai way.

sorry some people just want to slag people off without answering your question.

basically if u buy off someone u don't know then get a thai the double and double check the cars history. u don't know what the car has been involv ed in.

cut and shoves are quite common out here specially after the tsumami.

if i was you i would save for a new car brand new out the factury but if i was you stay away from toyata samui the service is terrible. you will wait 3 months for a number plate which mans that u cannot take off the island for 3 months. you can rent a number plate off them but supirsinglty they are always out of spare plates.

go to bangkom many cars there.

there is an only site for buying second hand cars would have to get a thai to search and read it for you but i willl have to get back to you on that. what is your budget?

in my opimon a truck is the only type of car worth buying in samui becuase the roads a re so bad. if u can get a 4 x 4 then that would be even better. i had a low car before and the bottom got ruined every 5 minute i had to fit a new exhaust and in the wet season. my car was consatantly floaded with water.

a truck here is the right car for the right place.

the toyota's are good cars. i have had few problems with them. on the service on samui was discusting. better off buying in bangkok. samui are the only dealer on the island and they know it. they take advantage of that fact and treat you like dirt. that is after they have takenyour hard earn cash

I definitely need a 4x4 truck/pickup/jeep/whatever-you-want-to-call-it as I'll be going over to Koh Phangan and also off-road quite a bit. This truck is for work and my own safety. I'd love to go without one and stick to my motorbike but it's impossible, so I have to buy one.

I think I'll go for a brand new one as it'll come with a warranty and will give me peace of mind. I'd prefer not to, but I know what type of mine-field the car market is back in the UK, yet alone Thailand!

I guess it's cheaper to buy off-island. I'd prefer to buy one on the island so I'm not bringing another truck here. However if it's a lot cheaper to buy in Bangkok then I'll go there.

Peace,

Cinders.