Poached Eggs Whats The Secret For Making?

I have an egg poacher with 4 cups to cook the eggs. Every time I use it's a total failure. Sometimes I add too much water to the pan and the water just boils over making an in edable mess. Other times just put a little water in the pan and nothing happens, the eggs dont cook. HELP!!

I've also tryed just boiling a big pot of water and droping the raw egg into it, and fish the cooked egg out of the water with a strainer. Seems to work, but I'd prefer the nicely formed egg that the poacher would make. Any suggestions, other than hire a cook LOL??

Mid is right... a couple of ounces of vinegar (doesn't need to be measured / exact- just a healthy dollop from the vinegar bottle) in the boiling water for the "drop the egg in" method will hold the egg together, and none of the vinegar taste comes through to the egg.

For your poacher... I guess experimentation will be your answer to find the right water level, or a bigger pot that won't boil over and holds enough to prevent boiling dry would work maybe?

to cook in a non-poaching pan; break eggs into a small bowl, add a bit of vinegar in the water and then swirl the boiling water so it forms a bit of a whirlpool in the middle. Then slip the eggs into the water, and turn down the heat so that the egg doesn't break up.

In a poaching pan, I've found some success with adding a bit of water to the actual poaching form as well as water in the pan. Supposedly you add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan but not to reach the poaching form. I've never had alot of success with my poaching pan -- to get the whites thoroughly cooked the yolks end up hard too. But, by adding a bit of water to the form, it cooks the whites faster.

If cooking in water add a little vinegar....not too much or you will flavor the egg. But the real secret is to "POACH" not boil the eggs. Poaching occurs in water just on the brink of boiling.

I get most success with the "in water " method by using a fry pan and just a tiny amount of water.

If I'm using a poaching pan, line the cups with butter or oil and season, drop in the eggs ...put the lid on the pan and gently poach for about 4 minutes - the is no need to boil the water furiously...the heat from gently simmering water will rise and be kept in by the lid.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Love y'all

OK - Yes Vinegar (white) with little water - but to get the Eggs with a soft Yolk and hard whites - use a Pot - not a Pan - yes - swirl the eggs into the pot to give a consistant double egg unbroken - water already boiling and then cover with a lid - wait till it reboils and then remove the Eggs with a ladle whick drips off the water.

Variation - A favourite of mine - especially for a HANG-OVER Place the eggs in a dish and bake at 220 degrees for 15 minites - 10 minutes prior pour full cream over the eggs and top with Cheddar Cheese - easy one for this is place eggs in a bowl - cover with full cream and then Microwave for about a minute - then add cheese and give a quick grill - pour the eggs onto toast and your days made!!

Bill Scott

Phuket Mobile Catering

• 2 weeks later...

Don't eat many eggs as I don't like them much, eldest daughter loves poached eggs so often do them in the microwave, just pop egg into cup, prick yolk with cocktail stick, add a tiny drop of water - 2 teaspoons, cover and zap for 30 seconds on high.Works every time. :o

I read this thread this morning and suddenly had a craving for poached eggs on toast - in search of a poacher I went to Robinsons, Central and Big C with no success. if anyone knows where i can buy one i'd be most grateful.

Cheers BB

Not sure where you are but I saw one at the kitchen supplies store at Warrorot Markets in Chiang Mai. Stainless steel made by zebra which is a Made in Thailand Brand - they also have a factory outlet on Chang Klan Road. Check with the Zebra store in your part of Thailand - they are in most city centres.

btw I usually refer to this type of egg as a steamed egg not a poached egg. Different nomenclature.

good luck

CB

Don't eat many eggs as I don't like them much, eldest daughter loves poached eggs so often do them in the microwave, just pop egg into cup, prick yolk with cocktail stick, add a tiny drop of water - 2 teaspoons, cover and zap for 30 seconds on high.Works every time. :o

I did that once and took the result to the squash court - had less bounce than most commecial squash balls but held together longer.

:D

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Another secret is to put about 2cm (1 inch) of hot water into a coffee cup, break the egg into the cup and put the lot into a microwave oven on HIGH for 25-30 seconds.

I cook about 20 breakfasts for guests each morning in Australia and if I only have 1 or 2 serves of poached eggs, that's how I do it - no need to get out the poaching frypan.

Peter